Pre facelift halogen to xenon headlights

Bigjase88

Reaction score
Fancy changing out my halogen headlights on my pre facelift to the xenon headlights.

nothing looks more cheap than yellow poverty spec headlights.

how easy is it to do? The labour will be simple it’s more the coding side! Is coding required?

cheers

You will need along with the xenon headlamps these...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A3-...n-Headlight-Adapter-Loom-Wiring-/283047985882
Not sure on the law regarding headlamp washers for xenon headlamps? Something to think about.
I ran an intercooler on my old car that made the headlight washers redundant. Some cars with xenon’s also do not come with washers as due to certain light output threshold.

i never had any issues with passing an MOT. However yes to the letter of the law it will be illegal but i wouldn’t imagine would cause too much trouble.

Reactions: pburv
Will they simply not work without coding or will they just throw a check engine light

thanks

I believe they won't work without proper coding as light functions channels are assigned different between Xenon and Halogen headlights, besides you would have to re-wire the headlight connectors from stock 10pin to a new 14pin, it's an involving job but not impossible.

Fancy changing out my halogen headlights on my pre facelift to the xenon headlights.

nothing looks more cheap than yellow poverty spec headlights.

how easy is it to do? The labour will be simple it’s more the coding side! Is coding required?

cheers
Watch this channel on youtube.....

Don’t think i’ll bother

I remember on my old mk1 octavia vrs it was a plug and play job. Everything these days needs a degree in computing!! Will just get an S-line bumper on and make do with my poverty spec halogens

Not sure where you are based? but you could give these guys a call and find out how much it will cost you to get it done.
https://www.audiretrofit.com/index.php/about_us/?k=:5:::0
The video I posted was for a full LED conversion to a pre facelift A3. I'm sure it will be less complicated and certainly cheaper to just upgrade to Xenon.

Don’t think i’ll bother

I remember on my old mk1 octavia vrs it was a plug and play job. Everything these days needs a degree in computing!! Will just get an S-line bumper on and make do with my poverty spec halogens

I know there are some china replicas (Aliexpress) for the PFL A3 bi-xenon headlights that will work with the original halogen setup (10 pin connector, non high BCM, no level sensor,etc), in fact I know a guy who did install them, just dropped down the front bumper and plug them instead of the original halogen ones (no coding was required), in my opinion the look the part and have most of the functionalities of the original headlights: LED DRL, projector bi-xenon main lights, etc; however you do loose AFS and self leveling (but can still control beam light height using the original light switch knob). Another benefit is that they do not require the extra LED, HID ballast and AFS module for them to work, so less coding/parametrizing involved.

Maybe this is something to consider :friendly wink:

Cheers

I know there are some china replicas (Aliexpress) for the PFL A3 bi-xenon headlights that will work with the original halogen setup (10 pin connector, non high BCM, no level sensor,etc), in fact I know a guy who did install them, just dropped down the front bumper and plug them instead of the original halogen ones (no coding was required), in my opinion the look the part and have most of the functionalities of the original headlights: LED DRL, projector bi-xenon main lights, etc; however you do loose AFS and self leveling (but can still control beam light height using the original light switch knob). Another benefit is that they do not require the extra LED, HID ballast and AFS module for them to work, so less coding/parametrizing involved.

Cheers
Will have a look thanks for that

I prefer these lights nicer ..

Attachments

• 3_max.jpg
    3_max.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 290
I did have a look you can get some led ones that plug and play with halogen loom they are circa £500 on aliexpress.

what would concern me dropping 500 sheets on some chinese lights that let condensation in / stop working after a month and your 500 sheets down the toilet

I did have a look you can get some led ones that plug and play with halogen loom they are circa £500 on aliexpress.

what would concern me dropping 500 sheets on some chinese lights that let condensation in / stop working after a month and your 500 sheets down the toilet
Keep an eye on Ebay.. A bargain usually turns up...
Found these but not 100% sure if they come with ballast modules? It says they come with electric motors which I'm not sure what they mean?
At least they are OEM.
Left side
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Headligh...del:A3&hash=item4456129f59:g:dtAAAOSw6SNdsYMM

Right side
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Headligh...del:A3&hash=item44586873bc:g:i-EAAOSwzQ9dsYML

Indeed, its quite a gamble with these chinese parts, you might get something good or some crappy stuff; at least for my mate who got them, they are still going strong after a year or so since he changed them (no electrical issues, no condensation, UV protect seems to esist) so maybe he was lucky, either way if interested I can ask him for the vendor where he got them.

OEM is always an option (the best way to go in my opinion), you could get the original headlights in a bargain (just ensure LED and ballast modules are included) and source a cheat harness connection to remap the existing halogen 10 pin functions; in this case minimal to no coding would be required.

Last edited:

Cheers

hello
I would like to ask about this lights.. anyone try it maybe? I’m interesting about buying it.
Thank you for reply

hello
I would like to ask about this lights.. anyone try it maybe? I’m interesting about buying it.
Thank you for reply
Go for it and let me know i keep looking at them but unsure if RHD versions are available.

i just fitted my front sline bumper today and really needs led / xenon lights now

Anyone has tried it? I just bought the real headlights and will be attempting all the wiring. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Who can help me with the coding? I have vcds. Anyone?

Hallogen—> bi-xenon

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

u might have to change the bcm unit, those adaptors make the drl work and main beam flickers