Pre Facelift & Facelift S3 Chrome Mirrors

absolutes3

Reaction score
Ive searched on here and can't find the answer im looking for, I know the pre facelift & facelift mirrors are different. But whats actually different? Just the size? Do both mirrors fit on both cars?

Reason i ask is theres a guy at my mates work selling a set of genuine mirrors, He doesn't know what ones they are as they were added onto a pre facelift a3 so he says they could be any of the 2 as they fit both models. Dont think he has a clue really. I dont think hes right but i bought them anyway :laugh:

Should pick them up at the end of the week.

Anyone able to shed some light on the subject?

TIA

Yep they are both the same mate.... Torx screw to fit them 10 minute job. Did you get them cheap?

Last edited:
So the mirrors are the exact same on pre facelift and facelift s3's? I thought there was a slight difference but didnt know what. Not really £100 but its the cheapest set ive came across in 4 months.

There was a burnt out s3 breaking near me (only one near me) Mirrors looked fine. Phoned the guy up for him to tell me the car had gone to the crusher with the mirrors still attached. I was fuming, Actually i still am :mad:

The mirrors could be slightly different but the fitment bracket is the same. £100 is cheap. Ive just paid £150 for some

the mirrors are different from pre to post, but the will both fit either model in either combination. i brought post facelift mirror cases ages ago and ended up costing me an arm and a leg to fit them as i needed all the post facelift stuff to go with them so i could fit them.
you need everything glass mirror housings and mirror case to do the conversion as the case will not fit the pre housing

the post facelift mirrors are more slimlined in appearence, have differnt colour glass and aren't as bullbous looking....they are definitely NOT the same

Ok, Thanks for your replies. I think the mirrors come with everything so should be a straight swap.

If these are pre facelift ones im not sure if i will definatly fit them then as they might not look right on a facelift s3. The other way round would be a different story.

Does anyone know the difference in size between the 2?

The bases are different im sure, when i looked into this im sure the post facelift mirrors have a different mounting base so dont quite sit right, they will fit but they wont be a good fit.
Sure there's a few threads on here somewhere.

Thanks for the replies. Ive decided if there not the facelift ones im just going to sell them and buy the right ones.

So i take it the facelift ones have the blue tinted glass?

Sorry for all the questions.

facelift mirrors basically follow the same distance from the door all the way to the top of the mirror, the pre facelift mirrors basically go straight up from the base so the distance from the top of the mirror to the edge of the door ends up a bigger gap,

FACELIFT

slameds3014.jpg

PRE FACELIFT

finisheds3025.jpg

The bases are different im sure, when i looked into this im sure the post facelift mirrors have a different mounting base so dont quite sit right, they will fit but they wont be a good fit.
Sure there's a few threads on here somewhere.
fit perfect mate but you need the whole mirror assembly, the mirror cases are not changeable onto the mirror housings but the mirrors do fit each model perfect either way as long as you change the whole assembly

fit perfect mate but you need the whole mirror assembly, the mirror cases are not changeable onto the mirror housings but the mirrors do fit each model perfect either way as long as you change the whole assembly

Thanks for that Kev, The facelift ones do look much better tbh. I will just have to see when they arrive. I am buying the whole lot and not just the casing so should fit then. I suppose i cant decide what im gonna do until i pick them up but saying that i have kinda got my hopes on them being facelift ones or i will be disapointed now.

Nice car btw.

Well my mate picked these up for me at the weekend, Im still in doubt what they are.

Can any one help?

Are these genuine?

Pre or post facelift mirrors if they are genuine? These are definatly not plastic anyway so im thinking genuine but cant find any part numbers?

Sorry for the dodgy photos.

They also have blue mirrors if thats any help?

018.jpg

016.jpg

020.jpg

023.jpg

Compare them to the mirrors on your car the only difference will be the aluminium housing