Prawn and BigAls A3 Track Car

From the picture angle I presumed the JR3 spokes were exposed at the curved section.

Not that we should envision hitting curbs sideways and smashing rims in half but it does happen. If the spokes are not exposed at least you have a chance of limping the car to a safer spot if needed.

Should have gone to Specavers.:redface new:

Reactions: Prawn
Liam the tyre man's van is fixed!

I'm too impatient to wait for any wheels before driving it. Dropping the XXRs round to him this evening to have the slicks removed and my set of 255 AD08s fitted so I can get out and drive it on big wheels!

Excited! Should get them back tomorrow then I'll drive it to work on Friday morning :)

Reactions: RobinJI and tomjol
Has anyone considered the 'allroad' wheel arches cut and shaped?

Screenshot 20180725 222332 Gallery

Interesting all they are stick on plastic, I assumed the car I followed was part of the actual wing. I have terrible eyes

R'Bird did indeed suggest the All Road arches a while back. The issue there is a method of attachment, and how you terminate them at the ends as the stock arches are moulded to flow into the side skirts.

Just for @antwan64og , I took a few pics of how the arches are attached:

Black stainless bolts and black stainless cup washers:

bGeyNkn.jpg

The fit against the body is actually really pretty good, and I've not even got any rubber trim for it yet:

NSbJiWz.jpg

5xBreQ6.jpg

zmuFCGY.jpg

If he was that mature he'd have just dropped the engine into an AllRoad and saved himself the bodywork :laughing:

It’s a nice flush finish!
Looks good even up close.

How was the first outing?
Interested to hear how the car rotates on the fatter tyres

It’s a nice flush finish!
Looks good even up close.

How was the first outing?
Interested to hear how the car rotates on the fatter tyres

Is rotatey a word? Or very fronty? :racer:

It's good!

I'm tried. Will write more tomorrow.

Works well

7W3Ir4f.jpg

Yl3UxZf.jpg

x6GN1UH.jpg

p4zyStt.jpg

avXpfLW.jpg

Reactions: hydro s3
if one of those hidden pictures is not a scotch egg I will be fuming....

Upload 2018 7 26 23 19 15

if one of those hidden pictures is not a scotch egg I will be fuming....

Uh oh :openmouth:

6XK9Fjx.png

Sadly I cannot take credit for the above master piece, but it's creator wishes to remain nameless at the present time :laugh:

As it's Friday, it seemed rude not to take it for a blast!

EFwB1XR.jpg

Took some pics from above to see how wide it looks:

nUltkEi.jpg

VZReuBb.jpg

Then we got rained on! So I guess I'm testing the AD08s in the wet this afternoon!

l4K7Vj2.jpg

Reactions: Method
looking good... any driving on wet roads today after all this heatwave is a slippy thing for normal cars and normal tyres.

lol.. (Tuffty I expect) I confuse myself too sometimes... I think the mixture of heat, oxycodone and stella takes it's toll by the end of the evening :D

funnily enough I can see all your pictures from "imgur" today!!!

Upload 2018 7 27 18 46 22

Reactions: <tuffty/>
having images in your posts make all the difference :)

I am considering spacers for my TT but was worried about the tyre being in line with the wheel arch meaning that the bottom of the tyre will be proud of the wheel arch, are you finding a lot of road grime flicking up the side of the car as your front wheel is about 3 inches wide of the sill at the bottom?

Upload 2018 7 27 19 46 50

I think the TTQS fit "spats" are you considering anything - or is it only dust and not rocks?

also... has any MOT inspector questioned the rear spoiler? I assume it just needs to be secure and not have spikes pointing out or something? I know desertstorm has fitted a bigger wing onto his TT, and you see them all the time on Celica's and Supra's etc round our way.

having images in your posts make all the difference :)

I am considering spacers for my TT but was worried about the tyre being in line with the wheel arch meaning that the bottom of the tyre will be proud of the wheel arch, are you finding a lot of road grime flicking up the side of the car as your front wheel is about 3 inches wide of the sill at the bottom?

View attachment 161452

I think the TTQS fit "spats" are you considering anything - or is it only dust and not rocks?

also... has any MOT inspector questioned the rear spoiler? I assume it just needs to be secure and not have spikes pointing out or something? I know desertstorm has fitted a bigger wing onto his TT, and you see them all the time on Celica's and Supra's etc round our way.

The wheels stick out a full 100mm beyond the wing at the bottom of the arch. This thing is WIDE now!

If it were a regular road car then yes, I'd be concerned about debris and crap being flicked up. It'll certainly happen. For my uses in not worried though. Also adding any form of barrier there is a BIG no no. As you want to relieve wheel arch pressure, not add to it.

This rear wing has been on through 4 MOT'd and never a single question raised. All the corners are radius rs and it doesn't stick out beyond the body at all. It's 100% mot friendly.

Reactions: Stuart B and bigal 1
Went for a proper drive last night after Oliver had gone to bed:

3xIMWNr.jpg

FljLDEL.jpg

0YWIvaE.jpg

tYxxVEr.jpg

jZxgdd5.jpg

With a few more miles on it, I am absolutely LOVING the new wheel and tyre setup.

There is just SO much grip. The front end is really sharp, and oddly I can feel the diff working harder and pulling the car in tighter on the throttle. The effects of the diff seem far more pronounced now which is a surprise.

Down some awesome country lanes I gave it a proper hammering and it hooks up so well. Once hooked up I hit the button a few times and you can feel the diff lock and actually hear both front tyres squeal but not QUITE break traction. It was absolutely amazing.

This is just on a 255 Ad08 at the moment. I can't imagine what something like a 265 AR1 or similar would feel like!

Really Happy!

Reactions: tomjol, Stuart B and sparrow
Is anyone else waiting for the vertical hydro handbrake install followed by a gymkhana-esque video in a tesco car park :racer:

Is anyone else waiting for the vertical hydro handbrake install followed by a gymkhana-esque video in a tesco car park :racer:

I absolutely definitely did not do a handbrake turn on Thursday on a damp road because I couldn't be bothered to use reverse :laugh:

Reactions: Vex182
Beautiful.
I hate you.
In a "I actually secretly love your car so hate you" kind of way.

Cheers Scotty :laugh: One day we will both embark on a journey of epic proportions, and perhaps meet somewhere in the middle, because the chances of me driving this thing all the way up to Newcastle? Zero :laugh:

Happy Wednesday everyone!

8h7BV4D.jpg

Reactions: Vex182, jimmcgee, scotty_24 and 1 other person
HI Nick

Do you have any pictures of the bumper mount where it attaches to the front wing?
I need to do something similair.

I don't other that the one above I'm afraid Alex.

At that point the quick latch is drilled through the bumper guide and also through the lip on the wing behind. the bumper guide is clearanced to allow the inside the the quick latch to fit, and the bumper just presses on. press the button for it to pop off.

I'll try and get you some pics this evening. i just had the arches off this morning to fit a rubber trim too!

that's exactly the type of thing yes mate.

Although I got them for about £3.50 each on Ali Express!

Reactions: sparrow
Fortunately I'm not feeling remotely jealous , not even envious , nope not me no way no how , well maybe a little , okay maybe a more than a little , well go on then twist my arm why dont you yes a whole lot jealous - ******** hate you both :hubbahubba::sos::respekt::sob:

The car actually looks more subtle now its lost most of the vinyl stickers.
My inner hooligan thinks it needs rally style mud flaps for some reason

No car in the history of the world has ever needed rally style mud flaps!

Reactions: scotty_24 and antwan64og
No car in the history of the world has ever needed rally style mud flaps!

I hate the way anything I google about “A3 8L” automatically refers to this thread, Apparently jardo summed it up here 3 years ago....

Attachments

• 9EE646E0-D1F8-4D8C-A579-60B5259517A0.png
    9EE646E0-D1F8-4D8C-A579-60B5259517A0.png
    120.4 KB · Views: 311
Haha. no idea what that was about, but he's probably right. Aside from rally cars as tuffty rightly said, I don't like mud guards on anything!

It's all about Fat arch Friday round these parts :racer:

Reactions: scotty_24 and sparrow