Prawn and BigAls A3 Track Car

I think Bill was running on low power, around 500 odd.

It's always interesting to see the differences between big and small turbos on track, out of the low speed corners like the chicanes, the little turbo spools instantly, and has 'little' enough power not to spin the wheels up badly, so gains on the faster car, where Bills is either off boost in a higher gear, or so powerful it wheelspins in a lower gear.

Once at higher speeds, the power of the big turbo really shines through though. the Ibiza on full chat is quite something to whitness!

I absolutely cannot wait for Donington in 2 weeks time either! Both Dad and I really enjoyed the track when we did it in Feb last year, and the car has come on a LOT since then so we're hoping for a great day!

A boost button is just that my friend, a button, which adds boost!

In my case, I have my N75 wired to a switch, so with it off the car runs on actuator pressure, around 1 bar. With it on, the N75 becomes active and it runs around 1.5 bar, restoring around 60bhp that's knocked off when you switch the N75 off.

Ahhhhh yeah just needed it confirming I read somewhere about doing that mod. Id like that on mine when I get it remapped as it's my daily.. is it hard to install the electrics nick ?. Ahh bill that sounds interesting couldn't imagine that sort of power in a chassis such as ours :arco: Sounds pricey

We didn't sadly no! We were so flat out busy all afternoon we didn't get a chance to get over there :'(

Thankfully Jojo brought my a chicken fried rice for lunch though, so I was happy :laugh:

Found this on instagram last night:

Thanks to our very own @Pubemammal for letting me know :)
Arrr gutted they didnt get used in the afternoon, we sure caned em in the morning... :)

For mine I have 3 levels (DTA ecu)
actuator (launch/wet)
Map1 - Race - ~500bhp region
Map2 - Press to Pass - +more

+ how much more lol

I can't wait to attend an event with prawns car and the badgerwagen two cars I'd love to see

Reactions: Prawn and Mrharris2
Had a great day at ADI and good to see this car in the flesh, certainly is rapid and when the yellow beast came out, that was equally impressive!

Reactions: Prawn
Nick, you should get DTA S80 and 4 wheel speed sensors.
Get a dash switch for traction control on/off and wet/dry. Set dry setting to 5% slip then just mash the right peddle, lol.

Nick, you should get DTA S80 and 4 wheel speed sensors.
Get a dash switch for traction control on/off and wet/dry. Set dry setting to 5% slip then just mash the right peddle, lol.

If you send me a cheque to cover that little lot I'll happily write you a detailed review :laugh:

Not much prep required for Donington thankfully :) tomorrow I've just got to clean up the discs, fit these new F2R pads, and that's it!

Then it's just a case of putting a few miles on the pads and bedding them in properly :)

Bit of pre Dony prep today :)

Up on stands. Calipers and discs off:

Interestingly found a bit of tyre stuck inside the disc!

Backplates not showing any signs of rubbing. Although showing obvious signs of heat near the pads:

Discs looking rusty after sitting for a week

With the discs bolted up to the hub, I fired up the car in 5th gear on idle to spin the discs at about 20mph.

I then used my grinder with a fresh 80 grit flap wheel to clean the surface whilst it was spinning:

Then turn the discs over and repeat :)

New pads in:

And that's done.

Quick bleed. Interestingly, despite a VERY thorough flush a few months ago, the rbf660 fluid came out blue like the previous ate!

After I finished bleeding, spot the obvious fail:

What an idiot, I'd left the pipe off the bleeder!

Thankfully, the level didn't drop too low and no air was introduced. I bled it all again twice to be sure anyway!

Finished and cleaned up:

Been out to bed them in this evening. Initial impressions are good. Will find out more at donington next Monday :)

Reactions: Adam P and 16Klappe
hahahaha you muppet!!!
looking forward to your opinion on the pads!
wont be long until you have tested them all!!!
how much rbf660 went through last time mate??

Pushed a full 1.5L through last time. Fluid went from blue to rbf amber totally. No hint of clue left all on all 4 corners and the master. On also bled the abs pump at the time.

Bled today and it flowed blue from the fronts. Bled half a litre of rbf through today and it still stayed blueish!

More rbf on order Monday morning!

I know this might sound stupid but how have you got your camber plates set up? Ie what bushes have you got on top of your coilovers? Also did you find your rear end a little knocky when you first fitted the new bushes and rear springs and shocks. Sorry to sound stupid and be a pain

The brake cooling ducts appear to work, that piece of tyre must have been kicked up by another car and it's gone through the pipe and ended up on the disc.
Might pop up and see you at Donnington, I am off on Mondays as don't start on nights till 22:00. If I had got the suspension sorted on the car I may have had a go at this event but maybe it's turned out for the best as I have to make a trip to Manchester airport for 3am Monday morning.
That wouldn't be the best start to a day on the track.
Karl.

Finally had a bit of time to catch up with recent progress. Great to see you're still moving forward dude!

Apologies if I've simply missed it being mentioned as I've skim-read in a number of places, but are you still planning on putting on an opposite inlet manifold (LCR/TT etc) at some point to shorten the intercooler pipework, or is that too much of a minor tweak to be fussed with for now?

I'm time id still like to make a large port inlet manifold and swap the TB to the other side definitely :)

For now, it's really fast, and seems to just 'work' so in leaving it alone and getting on with other life stuff instead!

Had the maxsport RB5's fitted to
The OZ's yesterday. Big thanks to Lewis for sorting that for me :)

Test drive tomorrow some time. And we're ready for Dony!

I dony know lad, you might want to put some fuel in!

*in a Scottish accent like Willy off Simpsons. Dony. Get it? Haha.

So having sampled this car on the road right after it's remap from RTech, I was mightily impressed already, but I've never been in Prawn's car out on track, nevermind on slicks! All I can say is, even running in low boost, what a revelation this car is out on track, the traction, the brakes, the handling! All above my expectation, we was flying, god knows what this thing feels like with the full beans!

Many thanks for the ride mate! :thumbs up:

Had a quick trip up to Donnington this afternoon as it's not far from me. Get to see what these track day events are like as I have never been to one before. Who knows next time I am at one I may even be driving.Nice to catch up with JoJo , Nick , Jardo and meet big Al.
Took a few piccies, camera isn't that great and it was a bit overcast and the cars were tanking it on a bit. (I am good at making excuses when things don't work ).
Nick leading around some Quick Porsche 911'S

Big Al just going to cover his eyes just in case it doesn't stop at Redgate, or is he eating something ?

Some excitement from earlier in the day after a tyre failed.

I was looking at the brake dust build up on Prawns car, they look like teeny marbles than dust!

719EB944-5025-4F3E-9289-F93989F94A76_zpsrft9x5s5.jpg

Hello folks! I'm alive!

Very tired. Lots going on. Will be back to updates shortly :)

Donington was a FANTASTIC end to the year. We have confirmed that we absolutely LOVE Dony, it's such a great track.

Also - we have a pretty epic group of friends on here :) everyone was so friendly and do helpful, swapping parts around trying to solve issues and things. Such a great atmosphere in our pit garage, great to see everyone!

Reactions: jojo
tyre failed.. Scary moment?

It looked like it had been cut Bill! No idea what happened, it was the front left.

As we came through old hairpin, just after I got on the power there was a sudden banging flapping noise.

We nursed it back into the pits, and this is what we found! One properly dead Maxsport!

Only had them fitted on Weds too :(

Little in car clip from one session, KevG from Northloop as passenger:

Reactions: desertstorm
bit too keen wasn't it :laugh:

I got caught up in the moment, Tom Onslo-Cole was there so I thought it was the done thing :racer:

Car looks good Nick, nice smooth transitions for the most part.

Seriously though, since you've gone abit past fast road car territory have you got safety gear installed like Fire suppression along with Internal and external switches for fuel pump cut off and 12v isolation.

Your little A3 is pretty ****** quick, lol

He had a plumbed in extinguisher and external pulls about 18 months ago.

There's quite a bit of discussion in this thread somewhere.

curb bumping prawny...

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, Sorry, I'm being slow this week! I see the suggestion now - Curb bumping leading to damaged tyres.

Sadly, I don't THINK that was the cause, but it'd be an easy one to explain. The tyre let go fairly early on in the day, before I'd gone anywhere near any curbs :( We suspected something on the track causing it, or perhaps some strange bad luck with the tyre manufacturing process? The cut was SO clean it was crazy, like it had been done with a stanley blade!

Seriously though, since you've gone abit past fast road car territory have you got safety gear installed like Fire suppression along with Internal and external switches for fuel pump cut off and 12v isolation.

Your little A3 is pretty ****** quick, lol

Cheers Ant.

There's a lifeline fire marshall 4.0 plumbed in extinguisher setup with Pull cords inside and out, as well as a 6 pole FIA cut off switch killing the 12v supply, ECU main power feed, and earthing the current from the alternator so it can't run on.

Garage - Wedding - Then I'll see what I can do mr. B :racer:

Tori says I'm allowed to put trophies up in the house, but only if they're less than 15 years old, which counts out cabinet full of them back at Mum and Dads :laugh:

Reactions: badger5
Just put a switch in the N75 wiring, it's literally that simple.

You won't need it though, not on K03 powaaaah. You just want all the boost all the time :)

Reactions: Mrharris2
Best way to do that is use the throttle less, it's not an on off switch :laugh:

But yes, it is that simple to fit :)