Prawn and BigAls A3 Track Car

Does not fall in line with any of the car but suppose these spoilers never do.

Are you going for this look?

4747583d171d9f87f80fd9d6e81d6315.jpg

Reactions: bigal 1, Prawn and superkarl
See, that looks awesome!!!!

I guess I just have to accept that outside of a race track environment, the wing is never going to look right.
With the underfloor plans it should look much more at home, we'll have to wait and see!

Because its an S3...

Wide aggressive wheels under big arches make a big impact.

That reshell getting any more tempting? :)

It's the pre-facelift lights that make all the difference :p

Reactions: jojo and kwistof
Out of interest but no use to anyone. For the MKV Golf chassis car you can buy form the main dealer the flat floor from the bluemotion models.
Also on the spoiler/wing front 20 deg is supposed to be the magic number between drag and down force.

Why not simply bolt on wider arches?
Wider wheels possible then too.

If concerned about the DIY look - you could fill and blend them in better at a bodyshop - would look great, but everso functional too.

Pretty cool link dude, look at the mk5 gti! 37KG of lift at the back end on a stock GTI, and that'll be with the undertray and stuff still on I assume, on a newer more developed car than the 8L.

Christ, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a good 40kg + of lift going on back there. Would explain a lot!

Why not simply bolt on wider arches?
Wider wheels possible then too.

I recognise that Avatar! Good to see you here mate!

Arch width isn't the issue, and we have SO many sets of wheels already I don't want to alter the body profile so much at all that new wheels would be required.

Will do a bit of Pinder inspired DIY over the latter part of the year and see what the outcome is :)

Yeah - that was the first reasonable link a 30 second search pulled up so I'm sure there is far more out there.

It's even more useful with some broken English, too
Google Translate

I recognise that Avatar! Good to see you here mate!

Arch width isn't the issue, and we have SO many sets of wheels already I don't want to alter the body profile so much at all that new wheels would be required.

Will do a bit of Pinder inspired DIY over the latter part of the year and see what the outcome is :)

Roger that!

Doing some research into the 1.8T thang.
Had some PMs with Bill.

Loving the rear wing fella.

morning prawny!!!!

So iv been thinking of going for a bigger tank for the meth system as i seem to finish mine rather quickly, then i was thinking how often do you have to refill yours as i think ours is the same size.

was doing a little searching and found that devilsown have a nice 8.5L sumped tank. here are the specs and that

This 8.5 Litre tank from DevilsOwn is a water-methanol tank with a built in sump and fluid control baffle.
This eliminates the pickup being uncovered during racing around the track.
These tanks are ideal in to be placed in the boot/ trunk of most cars.
Because of the tanks quality design and it featuring a real sump in it, you can run the tank down to approximately 1 Liter of fluid before uncovering the pickup.
This tank is made with 6mm thick HDPE, which is the same material and construction that is commonly used in manufacturing fuel cells.
Dimensions are: Hieght: 216mm Depth: 203mm Length: 343mm
So It's best suited for boot placement.
This tank features a Fuel Cell Latch Opening for easy fill up and no leaking.
This tank can be used for any alcohol water mixtures.
It's 100% methanol compatible.
Tanks design also allows for proper ventilation for the pump heat.
Vented cap and mounting straps are included.
We recommend purchasing this along with our Filtered Self-sealing Tank Outlet Fitting and Fluild Level Sender Switch.

Interesting looking tank Miggles.

What's your current tank? 4L? How much is that DO one?

I find I use probably around 1 tank of meth mixture per 3/4 of a tank of fuel ish. On a trackday, I'll probably fill the meth tank 5-6 times throughout the course of a whole day. I guess it's not such an issue for me as I don't use the car on the road all that much, and when it does do distance on the road, it's motorway cruising and not much boost usually.

Inters was good fun. I had a go on the strip, absolutely no grip at all, which surprised me a little, I had always thought the drag strip was meant to be ultra grippy, but I was still spinning at the very top end of 3rd.

Fastest run of the weekend for me was a 13.7 @110. Did a 14.01 @112.9, but just couldn't get the hang of launching it on the strip at all.

I'll stick to trackdays I think!

well here in SA they are R1440-00 so its like 90 quid, but should be cheaper that side i think?
my tank is 3.8L to and if im in a spirited driving mood i can finish that pretty quick lol

also i like that it has a sump so it wont run dry while cornering.

dude thats a pretty good time actually! i have not done a 1/4mile with this car yet not really a fan of the straight line and launching the car hard like that.
and if you put it in your spare wheel well its more weight shifted to the back?

Nick, even I got a chirp out of my car with a 5k launch(in first :laugh:) against Voorhees, so grip was not great! Some blamed it on the dusty surface we had to drive/park on, but the actual strip was rubbered down.

I do have 2 videos of you on Sunday Prawn. The car looked to be going really well considering how hot it was.

Spoiler looked ok in the metal aswell not quite as Max Power as in the pictures lol. 👍

I will upload the vids to YouTube later and link here if you want?

Interesting looking tank Miggles.

What's your current tank? 4L? How much is that DO one?

I find I use probably around 1 tank of meth mixture per 3/4 of a tank of fuel ish. On a trackday, I'll probably fill the meth tank 5-6 times throughout the course of a whole day. I guess it's not such an issue for me as I don't use the car on the road all that much, and when it does do distance on the road, it's motorway cruising and not much boost usually.

Inters was good fun. I had a go on the strip, absolutely no grip at all, which surprised me a little, I had always thought the drag strip was meant to be ultra grippy, but I was still spinning at the very top end of 3rd.

Fastest run of the weekend for me was a 13.7 @110. Did a 14.01 @112.9, but just couldn't get the hang of launching it on the strip at all.

I'll stick to trackdays I think!

They hadnt`d prepped the track at all which i was disappointed with as they usually prep it properly with glue on every other rwyb day.

13.7 is still a fast time for a fwd car. Anything in the 13s from a fwd is deemed to be good tbh.

You`re addicted now you cant lie. You must have cleared 30+ runs over the weekend and showed no signs of stopping. Think a go on a properly prepared track would see even better times..bit like i said before inters and was disappointed lol.

The DO tank is £110 I've had my eye on it.

It was really good to finally meet you at inters. Thanks for taking me for a spin it's very impressive indeed. I've been looking for second cars and checking out the price of a cage dice I've been home!
This is the only photo I got of your car.
null_zps24167394.jpg

So, we went to Hullavington.

Full house today, 53 cars booked on

Ritual tyre changing, we fitted the Rotas with the Federal RSR's which just would not die.

These tyres have done 10k road miles, 8 trackdays, and 2 rings trips, and STILL they had rubber left.

This was getting silly.

Drove all day on track, and now they look like this:

FINALLY we've killed them. Tyre wear across the tyres is so even now I'm over the moon, it shows the setup is bang on. the fronts have worn perfectly really, and the rears very similar too.

No more pics from me. too busy having fun

Reactions: Ashley =1.8T=, <tuffty/>, ReDBull and 1 other person
I like the above very much, makes me happy to see it still getting used and abused properly as it was always meant to be.

but, it's really changed things.

We've done hullavington a few times, and I know how my car feels, but today, it was different.

FAR less oversteerey, To the point where it was really hard to provoke it into a slide in the faster corners where I could before. I thought at first that it could be a placebo, but after spending today on a track we know, on tyres we know, it was a different car.

Unchanged at low speeds, but at high speeds, far far more stable, and everyone commented on how stable it looked / felt.

We'll never be able to put numbers to it I realise, but I'm absolutely certain that the car was better today than it's been ever before.

Reactions: bigal 1 and Jason.s
Sweet stuff. It's a shame there's no realistic way of measuring the effects of the wing - it'd be nice to be able to really look into optimising things but major work to go that far so at the end of the day if it feels good it's hitting the spot so far!

Tyres sorted :D

Had a tyre marathon today over at Just Tyres.

We now have a brand new set of Dunlop Direzza 03G's fitted to the bronze rotas.

A set of yoko WTCC slicks fitted to the white rotas

and set of 235/45/17 Pirelli P-zero Corsas fitted to the OZ's, so that's us done in tyres for a long time :)

Managed to upload those vids mate

Last edited by a moderator:
We now have a brand new set of Dunlop Direzza 03G's fitted to the bronze rotas.

Nice one. I've heard many good reviews about the D03G. I just picked up a pair of lightly used 03Gs and a pair of A050s. Both in 245/40/17. I'm keen to get out and try them now. What compound did you go for? Medium?

H 1 which is medium hard. It's the very same tyre that Radical used to take the record at the RING, so we are assuming it's going to be pretty good. Nicholas has just checked the tread wear rating on the Pirelli Corsa's and its 60 which means they are very soft and could possibly be the better tyre. We will know shortly.

Sweet stuff. It's a shame there's no realistic way of measuring the effects of the wing - it'd be nice to be able to really look into optimising things but major work to go that far so at the end of the day if it feels good it's hitting the spot so far!
The car was amazing and so stable at speed and in the high speed corners it was planted as if on rails. There is one straight with a kink and small crest and the car was so sure footed at 120, and later, from 120mph braking hard for a corner , the rear end used to go light. Not now. To me, I would count that as being a realistic way of measuring the effects of the wing. It DOES work. It's just the start of the aero work.

Reactions: Rainbird
Thanks for the vids Lewis! Nice to see you got one of the better runs on film :)

As Dad says, H1, so hards.

Everything I can find online suggests that for trackday users, the H1 is the tyre to go for, giving the best balance of life span and grip. Everything seems to suggest that the 03G is one of the best semis available, and much like the Khumo V70A many people seem to opt for the hard compound. These are of course road legal too, so will cover some road mileage. We're hoping the compound will be ideal for what we need, considering we now have slicks to run for all out max grip.

Just been out for a first run on the Pirellis, and it's safe to say we made a ****** good choice here going for more of these. This is our 3rd set now, and we've absolutely loved each set.

These new ones are 235/45/17, and look absolutely massive on the OZ's fitted to the car.

Went out for a spin, and my god they're sticky!

These tyres make no sense, such a low tread wear rating, yet they last so long!

Will try the 03G's on the car this week and put a few heat cycles through them and then see how they compare.

Also, a few snaps from Jim (formerly of R-tech) from Inters, thanks Jim!