Prawn and BigAls A3 Track Car

S170 looking sweet nick! Next time I price a job your way mate will have to have a nosey in and see it in the flesh looks properly sorted .... Pet hate of mine was wheel hop, pure spin is better ;-) fast and furious style lol

Sean

Go for it mate! Drop me a line if you find yourself hampshire way and come in for a cup of tea :)

Reactions: s33nyboy12
Will do dude!

First impressions are it's probably hard to say how good it is!

Shifting feels great, it goes into gear easily and smoothly, the the transmission isn't loud at all despite the near solid mounting. It was easy from the off, but got noticably more silky when it warmed up a touch.

How much of this is down to the new trans fluid, and how much is down to finally having a decent gearbox I do not know, but for the minute it feels ****** wonderful.

I'm still grinning about how quick it is too :) always takes me by surprise after not driving it for a month.

At some point this summer I'll try and book another play day with Mr. Gower and head up to R-tech for a few more tweaks, the boost profile could do with some tweaking to avoid surge at full boost on track, and I reckon it could happily swallow up a few more psi at the top end, but I'd still really like to create some sort of inlet manifold for it before heading back up.

This time, I will have to pop round the corner and have a look when its at r-tech!

A3_8L.jpg

Looks like an S3 copy tbh... no bad thing... does set off the back nicely... but then I am biased lol ;P

<tuffty/>

yea, the more I look the more I realise it's just an S3 copy, the the picture is stolen and badly edited from another listing.

D'oh!

Ever since the off we've thought it needs some manner of rear spoiler. Not something purely visual like the S3 one, but something with a bit of a lip on it to try and stop lift at the rear.

I'm not expecting anything to actually generate net downforce, but a small lip like this should cancell out nasty lift created by the non flat underside and captive rear bumper area:

a3-roof-spoiler-6p.gif

Sadly I can't find anything half decent for the A3 at all. Only 8P stuff.

Drive around with the boot open? Sure, there's the potential for carbon monoxide poisoning but just think of the additional exhaust noise...

hey prawn just cought up with this post damn thats alot of gearboxs ! i thought you wwre shearing the arp bolts ! luckily not i was gonna ask what engine mounts you have as tramp has always been the biggest killer on my cars and i know the lower dog bone on these cars really isnt the best thing at dealing with the tourqe of these motors when tuned.

before my turbo blew last week i was in the proscess of making a 4th engine mount like i used to run on my swift gti stopped all the tramp and made gear changing etc 100% better

making as below im using a s3 strut brace a mk4 metal drop link from ebay then a triangle A frame with the 2 bottom mounts being on the bell housing top bolts may need to be spaced a inch or so aswell as less space near the head

ive thought the audi needed a extra engine moount from the day i got it ! lol

ive just tiger sealed my spare engine mounts this made me wish i polyed them ! lol and the worst bit it i have poly mix in a 80 shore left from back in the day

good work hopefully this box lasts

Cheers Steve, I couldn't agree more on the additional engine mounts!

On the Minis, beyond adding poly bushes to the existing ones, you just add more, I've got 3 additional stabiliser bars on the Mini engine compared to stock, and it doesn't move at all! it's finding somewhere on the audi that'll be solid enough to brace against / to, there's nothing at the front with the slam panel being plastic, so the bulkhead is the only real option, aside from some kind of strut brace as you mention.

I'll be interested to see what you come up with :)

80 odd miles covered in the track car today, and about 6 litres of meth mix, so those 80 miles were enjoyable ones :laugh:

A mate came over this afternoon and i took him out for a blast to show him what his newly installed Beach Buggy ko4 hybrid could be capable of, then I headed on up to Ace Cafe for Vag night, which was awesome, lots of usual faces, some not so regular, and I even met up with JAMPUBLIC who I've not seen in about 5 years!

Now at work on the night shift, and seeing this every time I leave the office certainly makes it a little bit better:

Another sunny day, and I got bored of sleeping, so went for a drive :)

Still absolutely amazed by how awesome it is too, since the sun has come out, I've got traction again, the weather is good, and working nights at the moment, the roads seem to empty during the day, I'm absolutely loving the car right now.

Also, before leaving for Ace last night, I didn't have any water to hand and I'd locked up already, so I topped up the meth tank with pure meth, so it's probably about 80% meth in there currently, and ****** hell it isn't half lively!

I still try to keep a low profile when I go shopping though....

hi prawn yea it is a tight old space in that engine bay for adding stuff ironicly i just tiger sealed my spare engine mounts and ive seen these poly ones and i got a 80 shore pu sitting in the garage lol are we taking A series mini or some sort of 16v honda suzuki vauxhall etc i didnt know there was a mini without a custom frame left in the world ! lol arbox

at least you should have the gearbox issue sorted now i thought you were shearing the arp bolts !:eek: tramp is a big gearbox killer if you had some of that and its under coutrol now should all help in saving this box a little longer :)

as for the brace its going to be on hold for a wile blown turbo and a engine to build its dropped off priorities lol

looking good keep it up

I do indeed :) but good guess though, the forge baffled sumps look excellent !

"out for delivery" since 04:35 this morning on tracking. I wants it now!!

Not a supersize DV or a radiator folks!

Just got up after an enjoyable sleep following my night shift.

Put a piece of paper on the front door with my phone number for UPS, as our bell is dodgy sometimes.

Phone rang at 10am after just an hours sleep, I was excited....

''Good morning Sir, my name is Mark, I am very sorry, but I am infact not from UPS, but having read your note on the door I understand your bell is faulty so I thought I would call you.''

(Sleepy Prawn) ''OK Mark, how can I help you?''

''I am a jehovahs witness, can we come in and talk to you about what we do?''

ARGH!!!!!!! Seriously? Feck off!

Reactions: superkarl, kwistof, crazy88 and 1 other person
I'll stop messing around now.

Secret parcel has arrived, and it was all a bit of a wind up.

Just a set of custom orange brake lines I'm afraid!

I know wht they are :), should have realised sooner lol.

indeed you should Dani! We even spoke about brake kits a few weeks ago :laugh:

I have work to do tomorrow now, and I am very much looking forward to it.

Looking good! All you need is some down force now.

I hope they gave you a some discount Prawn, I've just looked on their site and nearly fell off my chair, lol.

You sticking with the same disc size or going mahoosive?