Prawn and BigAls A3 Track Car

No I'm ******* not because I'm not a ****.

Such a grumpy git :laugh:

Really excited about it. September / October always seem good for trackdays.

Curby this weekend. ADI early October, then Donington with CGTI / NL late October :)

then the car will take a back seat and all focus goes to the garage!

Such a grumpy git :laugh:

Really excited about it. September / October always seem good for trackdays.

Curby this weekend. ADI early October, then Donington with CGTI / NL late October :)

then the car will take a back seat and all focus goes to the garage!

AND where am I. Sun? Sea? and sailing?. Oh hell another five weeks left.
It's killing me.

Bit of prep before Curby.

Replaced 2 splitter fixings with new wear blocks. Spanner check over a few essentials, and we're good to go!

I'm coming to Donny too Big Bad, are you coming down the night before or meeting up there at the hotel?
Up to Donny the night before. It's to far for me, don't like 5am starts now. Look forward to seeing everone.

*Hugely interesting post warning*

I replaced my gearbox speed sensor!

Ben was good enough to send me a new sensor, and also, the factory heat shield pouch that protects the sensor which should hopefully stop it from happening again.

Thanks Ben :)

*Hugely interesting post warning*

I replaced my gearbox speed sensor!

Ben was good enough to send me a new sensor, and also, the factory heat shield pouch that protects the sensor which should hopefully stop it from happening again.

Thanks Ben :)

WOW, I need a rest and a cuppa after that one. WOW again

So, we're all set for Curborough!

I packed the car:

Then Mowgli and Jardo turned up, and Tori ****** us an awesome Roast :D

Cameras are charged, everything is ready. Time to sink a few beers before an early start!

Reactions: bigal 1
Can't wait to see the videos. Will hopefully be going along next year. If in doubt flat out

Your local takeaway does roast pizza', that's different.

Reactions: jay1601
Tori does an awesome Roast. but we all know how funny jardo is, he only eats Pizza because it gives him special powers :laugh:

Following on from a cracking evening, we went on to have a cracking day also!

Lukey and I had a decent drive up in Convoy with Jardo, we met up with Daz, Jojo, and Karl and other CGTI people there

The car went brilliantly all day:

I filmed some stuff, vids to come later:

And returned home with something else to add to the shelf :)

Reactions: A19quattro, StaceyS3, Jay A3 and 2 others
yep fantastic day mate.
be very proud you were absolutely on the ball and very consistant
even when you felt your laps were not upto your own standard they were still 1st place times!!!!
thanks for pushing me to do this i had a great day
and thanks for driving my car and your comments, great having a decent opinion

top work man you deserved it!!!!

Reactions: bigal 1
Cheers Daz. It was hugely enjoyable.

Everything felt good and the car seemed to be going well all day :)

Was fun taking yours out at the end of the day too! Thanks for that. it was cool to drive something different and see how different cars react on the same circuit :)

Ok, just the one for you tonight! I'm still catching up on the F1 and btcc I missed!

This one is a 27.47:

its really interesting. i know the lines you drove but the vids make it hard to see your line!
li hate how little effort you seem to be using to!!!

Perhaps start with some tyres that arn't an H1 Hard compound! Amazing for trackdays. not so ideal for Sprints

More suitable tyres. Less weight, compounding experience. it'll happen one day :)

Very happy with how the car has performed at Curborough this year on the two trips up there.

Back in March / April I was told by several people not to expect to be that quick at Curby, and that weight was the #1 enemy and a heavy car like mine could never be up there with the lightweight mk1's.

I'm pleased to say that despite the weight, that hasn't been the case :)

Really excited about the thought of dropping more weight from the car and making it more nimble :)

One day I'd like a plate diff to get the power down better, but I've got a garage, and then more importantly, a wedding to pay for before anything like that can happen!

you've still got the sub and CD changer in there. First on the cull list?

Never!

The amount of hours this car sends driving on the road to and from tracks, Sunday blasts with the windows down and running to work and back it would ruin it to not have some music!

Don't do it Nick...

Is it worth it for 15kg

You can't put a price on crusing around in a cool car with the windows down and a bit of music on a nice hot Sunday.

Especially not when 15kg's could be lost in places which don't impact on the enjoyment of the car.

I'll quote something Prawn says...

"When I can't take the car for a Sunday afternoon spin and enjoy it then I'll consider the car utterly ruined."

Removing the CD changer would do exactly that.

Also, 15kg's? I doubt it's even half of that.

Prawn may say it's on his list of things to go, he'd be a fool but to do so. But it's his car at the end of the day. I just have great memories of driving around in this thing listening to Dire Straits.

almost.....

For years i said I wouldn't lose the radio.

to be honest though, it's now too harsh for CD's to play smoothly, so that's coming out.

On Sunday we drove it 350 miles in total, and not once did we turn the radio on! We just didn't need to. Same with the whole trip to Spa last year, we just didn't need it.

Electric windows? They're staying for life. I enjoy cool air too much!

The stereo though, it's time for that to go! can't hear it properly anyway these days.

Reactions: 16Klappe
The car's ruined.

Unfollow.

De-friend.

Reactions: A3-Lee, jojo and Prawn
Yeah once you take the changer, 4 speakers and tweeters, the amp, the wiring for speakers, the actual head unit and wiring for that it soon adds up. 15kg maybe a bit over the top but not a million miles away. You can always go passenger with your steps and abba blasting through your headphones tho jardo.

stereo has to go im afraid. hell even ive done that!! and the loom!!!

is there any way of fitting manual windows?
dont want perspex up front but id love to lose the motors and wiring

if they fit ill do it lets put it that way!!!
and if i can get wind ups ill do perspex upfront
feel safer with a wind up

Not even slightly similar in mounting by the looks of it.

The problem with the A3 door / window situation, is that the window frame and the electric motor system are so integral to the door.

My plan, once I have a garage to keep the car secure in, is to remove the doors, and go to town on drilling /lightening the stock frames as much as possible. there's so much metal in the lower frames, I think you could cut a fair amount out and still retain the functionality of the windows

I'd like to keep the electric windows on both sides, but do away with the door mounted switches, and run the switches in the centre console along with a few other things I want to add in the void that will be left when the stereo goes

I think you should probably focus on making sure they actually close first...

:uk: