Powered Glove Box Not Opening

GMac79

Reaction score
Hi All,

New member of the group here.

I have recently purchased a 2006 A6 C6 3.0 TDI S Line (which is my first A6 and it is awesome!!!!) There are a couple of problems with it and here is one.

The glove box will not open on the switch next to the MMI power switch. I have changed the switch out and checked the fuses and still it wont open. If I remove the side pannel and use a pen I can manually release it but I would like to get it working.

Any help would be much obliged.

Cheers

Glad you like the A6. They are great and spacious cars.

If you can hear the motor opening the lock working, it would be mechanical issue. If you cannot hear it, there is your issue.

Check wiring and power while you're there.

hmmmm...... don't hear anything so I guess it is a power issue. I will look into it further.

Thank you for your help

Reactions: KrisKrk
Powered glove box :) . Never come across one of those. Sometimes they go a little too far, I personally have never strained myself opening a glove box.

Powered glove box :) . Never come across one of those. Sometimes they go a little too far, I personally have never strained myself opening a glove box.

It's not to prevent strain, it's because the A6 is so big that the glove box is so far away we need a powered release to save having the butler open it :laughing:

Reactions: RAF_S7, KrisKrk and desertstorm
Here's the wiring diagram for the motor and switch.
Upload 2017 2 11 18 47 27

Reactions: KrisKrk
Thank you for all the info. The wiring diagram looks a bit formidable for a basic novice :) but thank you. I have put a hold on this fix for the moment as this car has developed a 'running lumpy' problem so it is in the shop getting its injectors tested and refurbed.

I will continue with the glove box problem once I have got it running well.

Whilst I am here, this is what I have replace in my 6 months of owning the car:
Alternator
Injectors (refurbed)
Rear wiper motor

Still researching/diagnosing:
Glove box
Drinking coolant like I drink beer

Should I be expecting any other known faults to occur with this motor around the 120k mileage mark?

Coolant leak, perhaps? Check for any signs of splatter around all connectors or piping.

Collant leak is probably water pump. Audis seem rubbish with them. When I rang with my old A3 the garage asked "Is that a 61 plate" ... err yea ... "Known problem" - obviously your A6 isn't a 61 plate but Every Audi I had so far had the water pump dying like there is no tomorrow

How can a water pump result in coolant loss? It may be daft but I am serious here.

Got a coolant loss problem myself and have no idea where to or why or even how? All I know it is splattering around the whole front of the engine as even drivers side headlamp at the back got white spots and dis had just told me about low level.

How is you car, GMac79?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seals wear on the shaft and coolant weeps out. A typical water pump has the following arrangement
http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/190
When the seal on the shaft fails coolant leaks from the weep port.
The idea is that the coolant doesn't get into the bearing and causes that to fail. As most water pumps are driven by a cam belt a seized water pump will strip teeth off a belt and cause it's failure.
Quite often when the seals fail if the leaking coolant drips onto the timing belt it gets sprayed around.

Hi all,

Still not figured the glove box out yet but I am hoping to get this sorted soon. Everything else is awesome after I had all the injectors replaced (£££), skimmed the head, replaced head gasket, Terra Clean, hand clean EGR and inlets....... I think that is it.......

Got to sort out the pipes in the tail gate for the washer and now looking at upgrading the MMI to have phone connectivity.

I will let you guys know about the Glove Box..... I can't find any more threads on it hence why I am back here :)

Reactions: daytonamart
I've to replacement glovebox motor/actuator for sale and it's in full working condition.

Cheers B5NUT - I wouldn't know where to start fitting it to be honest or even if it is faulty at the moment but I will get back to you when I investigate further. Thanks again

It's easy enough to replace, but I could send you a complete working glovebox if you prefer, it would just cost more in shipping.

Hi All,

New member of the group here.

I have recently purchased a 2006 A6 C6 3.0 TDI S Line (which is my first A6 and it is awesome!!!!) There are a couple of problems with it and here is one.

The glove box will not open on the switch next to the MMI power switch. I have changed the switch out and checked the fuses and still it wont open. If I remove the side pannel and use a pen I can manually release it but I would like to get it working.

Any help would be much obliged.

Cheers
sorry to bring up a dead thread... i was fixing the lcd on my instrument cluster and had to remove the switch. i put it in the glove box for quick access. i'm an idiot because i proceeded to later close the glovebox. is there a way to trigger the release with vcds or what about that manual release with a pen you mentioned i can't find it. i tried crossing the wires for the switch it won't work.

Does anyone have info on how to adjust the cable or motor for the powered opener on an 2010 A6?