Power washers

David_Moon

Reaction score
Seen a jet washer in Argos. Should I buy it to clean the S3 or do they scratch the surface or take the pain off. Is it worth getting one?

David,
I think power washers are personal choice. I don't like them cause, dependant on power, they can take the wax off the car. Also on older cars they can tend to damage any loose paint you might have.
Can't beat a good old hose and sponge...

Personally I do like them - aslong as you don't get too close with them as they can get into stone chips and lift the paint off, usually on the bumper - (found out the hard way). But they are great for getting bugs off (especially off wiper arms and the driver's side wiper spoiler), and cleaning wheel arches and wheels.

Wouldn't use a sponge either, apparently the tiny cells/pores in the sponge will harbour grit etc and its near on impossible to get out. So each time you use the sponge it collects more grit and adds more swirls. I use a small terry towel instead (swissol do car wash, dry and wax towels)

Any recommendations on washers. Looking to get a karcher 1 for around £150.
A good model number wouldbe helpful along with any attachments i should look to get

[ QUOTE ]
David_Moon said:
Seen a jet washer in Argos. Should I buy it to clean the S3 or do they scratch the surface or take the pain off. Is it worth getting one?

[/ QUOTE ]

snap - I've recently been thinking the same as seen a few deals here and there (think one was in halfords) anyway, I've heard similar stories to that of ruining the paint particularly on the bumpers, so I've been a bit worried about buying one.

hmmmmm - I suppose a low pressure one would be good (or is that called a hose? lmao) any other opinions?

Cheers

Rob /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I'm all for the pressure washers. The problem with a hose, is it doesn't get off all of the road grime, like loose tar, and gravel. So essentially, you're leaving small particles, of dirt and rocks. Now when you go to soap the car up with a sponge, you grind the dirt into the paint. With a pressure washer, almost all of the junk on the car is blasted off, and about it taking off the wax, I wax my car about every other time I wash it, there's plenty to go around.

I think Turtle Wax makes a "Spray Wax". It's not really a wax, persay, but it does offer some protection, and a very nice shine. It's also very easy to apply, and makes the car smell really nice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Got the Karcher 550 one from Homebase for @£170ish. Also have the 4 in 1 lance (@£35) that gives the power and fine spray also the jet and and hose wash. Very useful tool for cleaning the car I find, stand a reasonable distant away and get cracking.

I find the 4 in 1 indespensible as you can change the flow of water you need. The Power Spray for the cleaning and rinsing of the car, The fine spray for the alloys, the jet wash for the bugs and the hose wash for cleaning up the bucket and mitt.

Only thing I would say is that you can't change the pressure, in my dad's old one you could change it to your requirements, which I thought was a useful touch to have. I think the more expensive ones do but that was out of my range.

Haven't used the brush or the detergent holder but it does seem tempting to use. Bung a bit of Meguairs in , add some water, spray and brush, done. Worried about the brush though and what damage it may do....have to try it on the missus' car first then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

wouldn't touch the brush mate - got the same kit and those bristles just seem a touch harsh for my liking.

Are we likely to see you at the wycombe meet this month - I need to get on and post details but its the same place as before. Next Tuesday (20th) from about 7:30

Nah, fair point. I'll stick with the mitt.

Possibly, I train on tues and thurs so will have to see what I can blag. Good meet though and I would be interested in seeing Rich is there.