Power tailgate

jojo

Looking for Boost!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Do most C6 Avants have this as an option or is it a rare option to tick?

This is one of the features I'm after, and I'm guessing it's not a retro fittable item?

I'm about to do this retrofit, got both the motors, wiring harness, tailgate button I'm just waiting on the powered boot catch. The parts have cost me around £250, I'll do a write-up at some in the next couple of weeks but it easy enough. Just make sure when your looking on ebay for the motors you find the ones the bracket that attaches to the boot hinges, as one of my motors was missing this bracket and you cannot buy them from Audi. http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a6-s6-...-bit-rebuild-repair-thread-2.html#post2163188

Reactions: PAULF and jojo
It was only an option, unlike the C7 where it is now standard, so probably only a small number of cars have it given that the vast majority of cars are 2.0TDi are thus probably bought on a budget. If ebay does not help you then Kufatec do a full kit, but not cheap. Electronic Hatch - Complete - Audi A6 4F-37906

It was only an option, unlike the C7 where it is now standard, so probably only a small number of cars have it given that the vast majority of cars are 2.0TDi are thus probably bought on a budget. If ebay does not help you then Kufatec do a full kit, but not cheap. Electronic Hatch - Complete - Audi A6 4F-37906

That's a lot of money to do it aftermarket!

I would only get the wiring harness from kufatec, get the rest form ebay, but you may have to keep searching for the parts to appear at a good price. Here is one of the motors, it from the US but postage is not to bad. AUDI A6 Q7 DRIVE UNIT PASSENGER RH 4F9959946 TAIL GATE TRUNK LID CLOSING ASSIST | eBay

Link to the harness Electronic Hatch - Harness - Audi A6 4F-37828

Every missing options could be fitted to the car, it all depends on how deep your pockets are and how good you are with the spanners, if you need someone else to fit this stuff then it gets way to expensive.

Things like wheels, brakes, AMI, LEDs/xenons etc make perfect sense... but power tailgate, what benefit does that have!?

I'm still bit struggling to terms why would anyone want to do this as a retrofit (amid all of us are in some shape or form affected by midlife crisis but there are far better things to do in line with it :)).

let me share some experience around power tailgate and you may change your mind... last year I went on a driving holiday to Croatia (BMW 535d M Sport Est). Lovely car fitted with all the extras incl. PT. Hit Slovenia and couple h later was on Slo-Cro border... customs asked to open the boot, had quick glance on what was inside and tried to close it (manually so to speak). Next thing you know I stayed at the border crossing for 3h trying to close the d..n thing as an i...t had snapped the mechanism (or part of it). Moral of the story - totally unnecessary unless you have hordes of people you would want to impress :).

ps. needless to say that out of 3h we were there for 2h 58m and 37s it poured like in Manaus.

Reactions: TheStigOnline and jojo
Its all down to personal choice, I think spending ££££ replacing the standard Audi brake setup is pointless (unless you plan on tracking the car). I had power boot lid on my A8 and found it very useful. Also makes it easy for the Mrs, as the A6 tailgate is not exactly light!

I carry 250kgs of stock twice a week, it's majorly handy for me! Not to mention my other half is tiny, she would love this function! :)

Can you manually over ride power tailgate? i.e lift and close yourself

Or if it has power is that the only way of opening and closing

Can you manually over ride power tailgate? i.e lift and close yourself

Or if it has power is that the only way of opening and closing

Pretty sure it works like any normal tailgate, but it gives you the option of pressing a button to open and close.

Had people being helpful try to close my boot and open it. But you need to press the button on the boot lid to close it and either the remote key, press and hold centre button or press and hold normal boot opener which is a switch or the boot open switch on the drivers door.
I daren't force it open or closed.

Last edited:
When I got my C7 it had this feature and in the early days there were a couple of instances where I initially forced it. I've not had any issues, but would prefer if it could be deactivated as I find it slow and of no advantage. I actually wish Audi had spent a few hundred quid elsewhere and left this feature as an option.

It's not as if the tailgate on my C6 avant is heavy...

Last edited:
While you are on this topic, has anyone looked to see if you can fit the sensor from the C7 avant where you wave your foot under the bumper to open the boot?

As a matter of coincidence, I just had a customer turn up outside my shop in an C6 A6 Avant, and he has the power tailgate function, so ?I went out to have a play. I can see why, if you had this function, you'd never open it manually, you'd just press the button to open and close it! But anyways, when you try to open it manually, it can be done, but it feels heavy, like the motors are holding it back. Same with closing it after you have power opened it, it's very stiff to close, I had to pull it down quite hard. I can see my other half struggling to close it if it fails in the open position.

It's flipping handy though! I love it!!

While you are on this topic, has anyone looked to see if you can fit the sensor from the C7 avant where you wave your foot under the bumper to open the boot?

Yep had a quick look and from the looks of things your car must be fitted with key-less entry for it to work, if you have that then I think it could be retroffited, but you will most likely have to replace one of the comfort ECU's.

Mine wouldn't open fully to start with sometimes it would unlock then stop and you had to press the button again to fully open it. Now it's fine I put some vasoline on the lock shaft And slider and now it works every time.