Power Steering

Nigma

Yakshimash!
Reaction score
Website
www.gcp-tech.co.uk
Hi,

Just had my car serviced at Nationwide Autocenter. They listed the power steering belt as worn, and needs replacement. (£42)

So I looked in my trusted Haynes manual, and can't seem to find any reference to changing the power steering belt.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Anand

Unless I am very much mistaken, the power steering runs off of the poly V-belt (or fan belt).....I had mine changed at Audi one month ago, and it was less £££ that what nationwide are quoting you...surely that is to to fit it?

Just make sure they fit it right, i am deeply suspicous of those types of places...!!!

Its known as a ribbed belt or serpentine belt. It runs the alternater, power steering and air-con.

Most motor factors should be able to source a belt for you. Its quite easy to change, you get a 15mm spanner on the top of the belt tensioner and pull the thing back. Then place a pin to hold it (a thin allen key or screwdriver works well). Then remove and replace the belt.

CB03.jpg

Thanks for the info and picture.

It seems a bit strange why the garage called it a power steering belt, instead of the auxiliary belt etc...