Power Steering Problems on the B8??

Wolvo

Reaction score
Hi everyone, had my 2.0 TDI (143) for just over a week now. It on a 09 plate and has just been serviced by Audi before I bought the car. Anyhow yesterday afternoon I was just about to start pulling into the junction that leads to my road when I noticed the steering was heavy, I tried again and realised even Hulk Hogan couldn't put enough strength in to pull the wheel around, by this time I was on the opposite side of the road and had to break hard to stop running onto the pavement. (cars beeping at me) I had to take the key out and restart it to which the steering suddenly worked again. I carefully drove the car to my driveway. I've checked the steering fluid and there is plenty in there. I've phoned the Audi garage and spoken to a technician who wanted me to drive it over so they can examine it. Any thoughts or known problems with this???
I had to get work to pick me up and drop me off home when I finished at midnight as I daren't drive the car incase I was found sometime tomorrow in a ditch! :crying:
PS the cars been running like a dream this past week

Ok, just incase anyone else experiences anything similar there was a fault found when it went to Audi and its do to with the steering rack apparently. Didn't get to speak to a technician but I'll find more out when I pick up the A4 and post up here for future reference

Reactions: AshA4
Hi,

I'd be interested in learning more about your problem/solution.

I had my car tested for faults and there was one for the steering. The independent garage (using Audi/VAG tools) told me that the car thinks its travelling above 40mph and so the steering is really heavy/stiff all the time.

Would be interesting if yours is the same (or what the fix is in any case).

Sam

Hi Sam, well I picked the car up from Audi today but the technician side was shut up and they had passed my keys to the sales department so I could still collect it. Apparently they said the steering was heavy, put it on the computer, spoke to germany and it came back to replace the steering rack, which has been done. Now the steering does feels heavier than on the 12 plate A4 I had as a courtesy car but that had smaller wheels on so not sure if I should feel a difference because of that. Any how the steering (fingers crossed) so far hasn't locked up again like it did during the week. I guess I'll just have to drive it carefully and see how it goes. I'll let you know if anything happens again.
WOnder why yours thinks its travelling at 40, it would account for the steering feeling that bit stiffer. You had any advise on how to fix your problem or heard anything else?
Cheers, Kim

Forgot to mention mines the S-Line version too, not sure if that might make any difference int his particular case

Just out of interest, the 2012 car will feel differant as its got that real sshhiitty speed sensitive steering crapp.Its solely the only reason im keeping my 09.A hatefull feature, the only option is to pay for dynamic steering but i dont know how that works.

My steering gets firmer the quicker I go and also when cornering, seems normal though and not heavy.
I would say it feels like speed sensitive steering, but my A4 is 09?
I am assuming that I have S-Line suspension too as my car is an S-Line?

I am assuming that I have S-Line suspension too as my car is an S-Line?
yes, which is only slightly lower than the SE A4 and Sport models. Shouldnt make any difference to the steering. Just driven a couple of miles from mum & dads to mine and it drove okay, when mine locked up on me the other week I must have only been doing about 10 - 15mph. Every time I take the same junction now I'm going dead slow waiting for it to happen again. Guess I'll just see how it goes

Just out of interest, the 2012 car will feel differant as its got that real sshhiitty speed sensitive steering crapp.Its solely the only reason im keeping my 09.A hatefull feature, the only option is to pay for dynamic steering but i dont know how that works.
Oh right, didnt know that, cheers

I think all of the B8 A4s have speed sensitive steering, it's just that the new models have an electric rather than hydraulic system. The dynamic steering alters the lock to lock ratio.

I find the steering on my 58 plate Tdi SE pretty heavy. So heavy that I googled it not long after buying the car and apparently it's how they are? Obviously not to the point of failed power steering heaviness but non the less a lot heavier than any other power steering equipped car I have ever driven.

Feels fine on the motorway but at low speeds it took some real getting used to.

Mrs got a4 08 se & compare to my 09 sline, driving her car is like driving a old micra. Not good attol

Hello all,
I am new to the forum. I just bought an 09 S-Line with 19" RS wheels. I have quite heavy steering at low speed. Feels stiff when parking. I wondered it if it was because of the larger wheels. I test drove another 09 S-line with 18" 5 spoke wheels and it did seem to be a lot lighter at low speed. It has a full Audi service history and it has only done 15,000 miles. Is it something I should be worried about or get checked out?

Hello all,
I am new to the forum. I just bought an 09 S-Line with 19" RS wheels. I have quite heavy steering at low speed. Feels stiff when parking. I wondered it if it was because of the larger wheels. I test drove another 09 S-line with 18" 5 spoke wheels and it did seem to be a lot lighter at low speed. It has a full Audi service history and it has only done 15,000 miles. Is it something I should be worried about or get checked out?

I got same size wheels too & its fine, only on high speed steering gets heavy which is normal.

If you have warrenty on your car take to dealer & get it checked.

Mine judders slightly when stationary or going very slow to manouver into a space or my drive ect, it's not heavy though but does weight up the quicker you go so is definately speed sensitive. Tbh i don't really like the stearing all that much. My 07 Leon FR had much more precise steering and gave alot better feedback, it was just much nicer to use.

Someone told me that my car had electric power steering but i don't really know? Mine is also an 09.

Could be that your 09 is fitted with 'servotronic' steering.Was an available option when i got mine in 09, now its standard.Luckily ive got normal power steering.

Its that sshyte speed sensitive crap.Low speed easy to turn, faster you go the tighter it becomes.Took a loner out whilst my car was serviced.Booted it into a fast curve nearly had a flamin heart attack.Tightened up as if the ignition turned off (well, not THAT bad but you can get the picture), and fought the begger to navigate the corner.F'in hate that steering.Now its standard.

Could be that your 09 is fitted with 'servotronic' steering.Was an available option when i got mine in 09, now its standard.Luckily ive got normal power steering.

Guess mine has this option then, cos it stiffens the faster the car goes and corners.

To be fair I like it, makes the car feel more stable, sure you got a steer it a bit more but feels much more connected to the road IMHO.

First time I realsied it was different to my ST was turning at low speeds, when letting the wheel feed out of the hands you need to give it more time to return to square before you gass it :)