Power Steering Pipe

Welly

335D Driver :-)
Reaction score
Just got back from a sloooooooooow drive back from AITP after my inner CV gave up completely... D'oh!

Anyway - working the power steering extra hard to turn the wheels appears to have exposed a weakness in the pipe coming out of the pump. Most likely from having been moved about when the engine was being changed.

Anyone know/can get hold of the part number for this pipe. It's the one that comes out of the pump, along the front of the engine, has the ziggy zaggy bit and then heads to the back of the engine bay to the rack....

Shall have to fit that when the new driveshafts arrive.... Deep joy....

Ahhhh well. :thumbsup:

I have recently bought both pipes :(

I first replaced the high pressure one I think ur talking about at a cost of £200 Inc vat I think... After fitting this I found it put pressure on the lower pressure from reservoir to rack :( that was £60 incl vat..

There's only four pipes to PAS so don't really need a part No.

Lucky for me I have a friend at audi parts so he saves me pounds not found a cheap part yet with my S3

Good luck mate

I changed the pipe your on about not long ago, the long pipe just in front of the engine, it folds back on itself on the driver side.

I paid £53 I think from tps, and will take you half hour to fit, if that.

There is two pipes that go into the steering rack on the passenger side of the car. Disconnect the two pipe and then the pipe itself is held down by 2 bolts just behind the radiator. Undo them and the pipe will come out and put the new one in and fill the pas will fluid. Best to have the front of the car in the air so you can turn the steering wheel lock to lock with no resistance to make sure the fluid has gone through the system.

Part number is 8NO422885A It comes up as a oil cooler for some reason but this is the part number for the pas pipe.

Nathan

Last edited:
I changed the pipe your on about not long ago, the long pipe just in front of the engine, it folds back on itself on the driver side.

I paid £53 I think from tps, and will take you half hour to fit, if that.

There is two pipes that go into the steering rack on the passenger side of the car. Disconnect the two pipe and then the pipe itself is held down by 2 bolts just behind the radiator. Undo them and the pipe will come out and put the new one in and fill the pas will fluid. Best to have the front of the car in the air so you can turn the steering wheel lock to lock with no resistance to make sure the fluid has gone through the system.

Part number is 8NO422885A It comes up as a oil cooler for some reason but this is the part number for the pas pipe.

Nathan

Nattie, you are a star. Thanks. :thumbsup:

That ****** pipe went on mine. rusted threw where it doubles back on itself.
Took ages to bleed the system up after words

That ****** pipe went on mine. rusted threw where it doubles back on itself.
Took ages to bleed the system up after words

Yeah, left hand down, right hand down, left hand down, right hand down gets boring after a while....

I didn't have a problem bleeding mine. Just filled the PAS to the max mark, started the engine and kept turning the steering wheel from lock to lock while checking the level.

Paul, did you have the front of the car jacked up so there is no resistance on the PAS system , that may have been your problem if you didn't.

Nathan

I had the front end off the floor,
I had foaming problems in the tank.
i ended up drivin the car with the horrible noise for a couple of days... it became gradualy quieter...
All is well now , The job of fitting the pipe was easy, Just my luck to end up with problems gettin the air out.

yeah just drive the air out and keep topping up. Mine went on the 'cooler' aka the bendy bit of pipe. Think it cost about £70 for a new one

One word. ****.

Been up to Audi, and thats not the right bit....

The part number I need is for the pipe from the pump to the rack.

The part number is: 8NO 422 893N

Cost is: £168.68 plus VAT.

I say again. ****.

Anyone have any tips for power steering pipe repair? lol. What are they made of? Copper?

Last edited:
Anyone had any experience of power steering stop leak? I know it's designed to plump up seals, but am wndering if it's worth a blast. I cannot afford to get that pipe this months really, with that price tag anyway.

:(

can't you just cut it and replace the brokrn bit with some rubber pipe and jubilee clips for now? £5 tops for the bits and would surely last till next month?

can't you just cut it and replace the brokrn bit with some rubber pipe and jubilee clips for now? £5 tops for the bits and would surely last till next month?

Tempting, however have had experience with that before. As soon as you hit the stops at the end of the rack - pop goes the pipe. Up to 500psi goes through those pipes at that point on most PAS systems.

I just know it would happen when I would be nowhere near home, and being able to fix it.... lol. It's so ****** annoying, it's such a small fracture. I wondered what metal it was, as I was considering slapping some weld over it. I have a feeling it's copper though.

The metal pipe went on mine as well when I still had it.
Makes a horrible noise when your PAS system is low on fluid.

What is the purpose of this pipe anyway ?
It just seem to come out of the rack and go back in again ??

Well, the long and short of it is, all the companies that do hydraulics round here aren't interested in helping.... Shame as that was a good idea.

I've found one second hand from a breaker's on the bay for £85 delivered... so that will have to do for now...

****** **** that init mate told u it was the expensive one! Can't cut it cos that's the high pressure one with the cooler... After I paid for mine found out there's a guy who makes up any pipes to any spec. So I'd get on google to save big bucks!... Other option is try breakersyard.com they got back to me quick with a new part for £150 all in

Be warned once I replaced my high pressure pipe this made my corrosion on the lower pressure pipe to leak

I'm going to weld mine up.... It's only a hair line fracture....

Watch this space.

This space says it didn't work. :(

It held it until we hit the stops on the rack a few times, and then bang. I suspect it's just weakened over time and is breaking in other places now.

Oh well, worth a go. I shall now be waiting for the new one to arrive.

This space says it didn't work. :(

It held it until we hit the stops on the rack a few times, and then bang. I suspect it's just weakened over time and is breaking in other places now.

Oh well, worth a go. I shall now be waiting for the new one to arrive.
is it the metal pipe that goes under the radiator on yours?

No, goes out from the pump, along the front of the block, through a cooler by the gearbox, then around the side of the box, over the CV to the rack.

ah right, a mate (ref engineer) is making mine up at the weekend (the radiator one) out of copper just wondered if it was worth making a jig for them, as they will be really cheap with flared ends to join on to the rubber pipes

If I hadn't of found one second hand I would of probably made something. £200 for a new pipe is insane..

Well, my £85 second hand (smashed to ***** and bent out of shape) pipe is installed, and working thankfully.

It's been a few miles since install and all seems to be well. Pump sounded GASH to start with mind you, I hate air filled PAS pumps - sound awful.

The drive shafts have relieved some of my clunking and banging, the one on stop start is gone, but side to side when pulling off is still making a din.

Also, the dunk, dunk, dunk when booting it in 1st and second appears to have not gone away wither, which sucks. Sounded so much like and inner CV to me, but clearly not.

Engine mounts need to be looked at next me thinks, especially the dog bone. I can't see what else it would be.....

****** car! :(

cheers, just done mine with the new fabricated pipe, took around 2 3rds of a litre, that stuff smells like some potent moonshine!!
mines groaning its *** of but should settle, tried the left to right thing a few times, but there seems to be a bit of foaming going on in the top up bottle, so i will let it settle overnight

got my car back from the garage yesterday for my mechanic to tell me the pas pipe was leaking he tried to put a weld on it but it didnt hold so its now worse, he described it as a pipe that runs parralel to itself.
is this the £70ish part or the £200 part?

thanks

a bit more info, its the one that runs under the radiator?? just need clarification before i order it. thanks welly

OK - More info I can help with....

Part number I think it is is 8N0422885A - PAS Oil Cooler.

See this schematic:

pas-schematic.jpg

Ye that is the correct part number I posted above for the PAS oil cooler pipe.

Where did you get that schematic from

Nathan