Power Steering Pipe

is the one that goes under the radiator the low pressure one ? i also have a small leak there, dont know whether to weld it or just buy a new one.

the weld on mine lasted until i had to turn the steering full lock and it made a small hole into a rather large one. I just forked out for a new one from audi at £62 and its all sorted now

the weld on mine lasted until i had to turn the steering full lock and it made a small hole into a rather large one. I just forked out for a new one from audi at £62 and its all sorted now

1000 psi or there abouts when you hit the stops on the rack....

Well, a bit of a thread revival here....

Went out to the car this morning - started up, backed of the drive. PAS Pump whining like a bitch.

Not good.

Went out expecting the worst..... and I was right. The nice replacement PAS pipe I bought for £85 has gone ****** bang. I have already contacted the seller to express my discontent with the item bought.

Had to borrow my old dear's car this morning to get to work. Not a good start to the week to be fair.

I have ordered a new OEM one from Audi, managed to get the 10% discount of them by telling a porky or two so got it for £151 plus the VAT - totalling £178.38.

Not cheap.

Ahh mate i feel for you.

you've only had that on there for 3 or so weeks. thats bo***cks i would try and dispute that on ebay try and get some of your money back.

New pipe collected yesterday and fitted last night. Not a long or difficult job, just a bit oily and minging.... lol.

Photos below of the new pipe - and then a comparison of the second hand (smashed and totally f**ked) pipe to the new one....

Not a lot to show for £198.

1.jpg

Old

2.jpg

New

3.jpg

Old thread revival but why does the S3 have all those extra bends in it? I noticed the TT and R32 don't? Is it to cool the fluid or something?

Really get in the way when changing the box oil that's for sure.

Old thread revival but why does the S3 have all those extra bends in it? I noticed the TT and R32 don't? Is it to cool the fluid or something?

Really get in the way when changing the box oil that's for sure.

Want to know the same thing, as had to remove it to drop the gearbox the weekend, is it really necessary for all those bends and extra length of pipe?

8260734846_f0a920a0a3_b.jpg

To be fair guys, I have no idea. I ended up popping the brand new one, so I had it remade at a local hydraulics company and they just stuffed a high pressure rubber hose on there for me, removing the bend that kept going completely. Worked ever since without fail.

I cant understand why it has such a long bend/pipe and loops back. What would happen you if you remove that completely and just take it directly from the reservoir to the steering rack?

I cant understand why it has such a long bend/pipe and loops back. What would happen you if you remove that completely and just take it directly from the reservoir to the steering rack?

I don;'t know as haven't tried it, however I suspect absolutely nothing. The bendy section at the gearbox is supposed to be for cooling - however it does also have a cooling section... lol

Well like I say, from the images I've seen, the R32/TT lines aren't anywhere near as long/bent up.

Well like I say, from the images I've seen, the R32/TT lines aren't anywhere near as long/bent up.

They always need to make the audi chassis slightly more complicated .... LOL

Sorry for the revival, but would you friend still be able to do this Dave? would he need one to copy the bends from? Mine's still on the car and I suspect it could be the cause of my problems.
Callum.

******, Can't really have the car off the road. Gonna have to look into getting one from else where. Never mind, cheers anyway Dave,
Callum.

Sorry for the resurrection of this old thread :)
After having a new steering rack fitted because of leaking power steering fluid, the high pressure power steering pipe decides to give up just as the mechanic drives it out of his garage! :ohmy: I decided to bu a new one from TPS at a cost of £280 inc vat!!! So it seems like the price has gone right up since the start of this thread!