Power Steering issues

Rydog

Reaction score
Hello,

I have an Audi A3 2.0 TFSI 8P 2006

I recently had a coolant leak which was coming from the water pump - typical of it to happen a week before it was due to be changed haha.

since the coolant leak, I’ve had a red power steering light appear on my dash several times, steering goes stiff, but then a few hours later I’ll go out to the car and it’s all fine. I got a garage to take a look and they said it was likely down to coolant spraying onto the alternator that was causing my power steering to cut out.

I’ve since had the water pump and cambelt replaced - no more leaks, but intermittently I still get the power steering issue, so clearly the garage was wrong about it being coolant spraying on the alternator. Does anyone have any ideas on what could cause this?

Ideally connectors need checking for any water ingress, corrosion as sounds like intermittent power loss.

Sorry, I have no idea about any of this unfortunately. Where abouts would the connectors be that I need to check? I understand the motor is on the steering rack from a quick look online.

You should check power steering ECU for trouble codes. Very likely module is failing, and it has nothing to do with a coolant leak...