Power steering fluid mix

ceS3r

Reaction score
Hi all.

Like a year ago or so, my car began having a humming sound when turning the steering wheel and accelerating a bit. The mechanic said I may be low on steering fluid so he just top it off.

I've always checked Power Steering Fluid monthly and the level has been okay.

So, today it decided to make that humming sound again, I checked and the reservoir dipstick was completely dry, I can't even see the fluid inside the reservoir. After some investigation and after asking my previous mechanic, he told me that he topped off last time with ATF fluid. Everyone in this country (Venezuela) uses ATF to top off power steering fluid. HOW WRONG! After some extensive research I've found that ATF is really bad for the steering system. I have a complete bottle of 1L of VW CHF11S green power steering fluid, but I wan't to make a system flush. Is 1l enough or do I need more?

My main question here is given that there's no CHF11S in the whole country, I have to wait like a month to bring some from the US, can i top off my fluid with vw green one or should I stick with ATF until I get my system flushed out?

Thank you and excuse my english.

I just did a flush last weekend. Used one liter to pump it thru and than another half a liter to top it up. When i finish work i can do a litel diy thred for you if you would like.

I just realized today I have a big leak, so I need to first address that to then proceed with the flush and pour some genuine CHF11S on it.

What are common leak spots? I believe mine is by the steering pump but I can't tell really since I have the bottom engine plastic protector and liquid is dripping all over the place...

I'm sorry what do you mean by that? :blink:

Comma

COMMA_PacksGroup.jpg

Nope, never seen it nor heard of it... Only Mainstream brands like total, mopar, a few vw original products in Venezuela but no sign of pas fluid yet... I'll have to wait a couple of weeks to bring some from the US

Little update here.

So, I decided to take the black plastic cover apart, jack the car up and have a friend tell me where the leak was. I turned on the car, gave the steering wheel a little wiggle, it started to drip near the steering pump, then I went full lock and a massive squirt of fluid flushed out. It seems I have a really small (almost microscopic) crack in the metal pipe coming from the rack (I think) that goes into the banjo bolt in the steering pump where the pressure sensor is. I took the entire line apart and gonna take it tomorrow to see if I can get it welded.

Here I have a pic, the crack is exactly on the unpainted part of the pipe.

WhatsApp Image 2016 10 18 at 154134
WhatsApp Image 2016 10 18 at 154137

At least it looks like the problem is not seals in the rack. The pipe should be repairable if you can get it brazed.I presume it's cracked due to vibration or being flexed some how.

I found Pentosin CHF 202.... I've read that thats the one newer audis use (before electro magnetic steerings). It's dark green as the CHF11s. Can I mix the 11s with the 202???

Looks good to go with the 202 as compatible and mixable , as to which one is better ??

2016 10 20 090615

Looks good to go with the 202 as compatible and mixable , as to which one is better ??

View attachment 107412
Hi Gazwould thank you for your reply. I found the Pentosin chf 202 in mercadolibre (ebay in venezuela) and the guy only has the 202. I just realized that I have the G 004 000 M2 which I believe is CHF202 also.

Here are some pics of the fixed hose

b9a817748c5a8b20d065cdfca3907ac0.jpg

5a1e0420ccc7e8994e173e2b7461a4ec.jpg

It has 24k gold in it (lol jk)

Sent from my XT1063 using Tapatalk