Power Steering Belt replacement

Les 51

A pint of Diesel please!
Reaction score
Gorning Morning Guys.
I'm after a bit of advice please,
I am in the middle of replacing the power steering belt and have hit a problem. The belt is on and we have got the fan off (eventually!) but the tensioner bolt has sheered in place. I now need to get the rads out of the way s oI can drill the old bolt out.
The question I have is, can I remove the Air con and rad without draining them all out and swing them away or do I have to drain them and take them completely off?
I have searched through the old posts and couldn't find an answer, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks in advance.

Thanks for that Towcestervag, any chance you could tell me how ;)

I'm pretty sure you'll need to drain the coolant, but the condenser should swing clear.

yeah coolant drained but condenser will swing out the way seen it on write up somewhere

Well She's all back together now. Not as bad as I thought. Managed to get the Broken screw out without removing the aircon and radiator. I undid all the front and pulled the front as far as it would go enabling me to get the drill in. Hardest part was getting the tensioner to give enough slack to get the belt back on, but a bit of swearing and on it slipped!
Took her for a quick run to check and everything seems ok, so I'm a happy guy.

Anyone seen the how to take the front end off? I need to do it and I keep putting it off.

There is a guy on youtube who did a cambelt change.
The front end does come off fairly easily but I didn't want to drain everything off. Why do you want to take it off?
I never figured how to get the aircon rad to swing out the way though.

I would think you can do that the same way as I did the belt. Getting the fan off gives you quite a lot of space around that area, and if you sit the rads on a box you can pull them off the engine mount thereby getting quite a large working area. Get yourself 2 decent 32mm spanners with only one end and some long tubes to go over them to undo the fan (and its a standard thread not left hand!)
btw mines a 2.5tdi avant so it's the same engine.

Excellent, thanks for the advice.
So 2 32mm spanners are needed?
I shall get ebaying.