power, black smoke, turbo actuator & intake manifold probs - any help?

edmanning

Reaction score
hi all

i have a largish mileage (186k) 96 a4 avant 1.9tdi.
i have a power problem that i was advised was my turbo actuator + i'm getting a fair amount of black smoke when i put my foot down.

the actuator problem was suggested when i had the ecu re-mapped. the firm that mapped it were very disappointed as the result showed no or very little gains. they actually said that the car should be quicker as standard. this prompted them doing a few checks (in their time which i thought was good of them...) the turbo checked out fine but on removing the actuator they saw that the bar was floppy and suggested it should have pressure. is this correct as i have no clue?
i expected to see this fault show on a vag-com scan but nothing..... would it show on vag-com if faulty? i do not want to replace it unless it needs to be.

the 2 faults that did show on the scan were.....

00575 intake manifold pressure.
17-10 control difference intermittent

01265 exhaust gas recirculation valve
31-10 open or short to ground intermittent

can anyone offer any advise as to how best to fix these faults. does either of these relate to the black smoke that i get or is this just because it's a diesel with high miles?
could the intake manifold relate to the power problem or was the man on the money with the actuator suggestion?
just to take something out of the running, i've had a recent new air flow meter as i know these are a common cause for power loss but in this case it was fine.
any help or suggestions appreciated.

thanks

Hi

I would post this in the Diesel Section you would pobably get better luck there

Allot of professional Oil burners there

thanks rev-head

i thought this maybe a good place to start with the power issues & regarding the maybe faulty turbo actuator......?
i will put it on the diesel forum too.
cheers