Potholes.....

Nick_B

Reaction score
Hi All,

M6 heading south, mile upon mile of 'smart' motorway construction with 50 mph limit, dark, narrow lanes, raining and then ... bang!!! I crash through a massive pothole which I did not see and even if I did, unlikely I could do anything to avoid it.

All this is extremely unconfortable, especially with 19" 35 section tyres. No damage visible to tyre of rim, however I thought I detected a slight vibration at 70 mph (maybe my imagination as was long drive at the end of a long day and getting tired).

Anyway - a company car so not my expense. Is now with the local Audi dealer to be checked over with 4 wheel alignment check. Will see what, if anything is broken.....

Take care.....

Hopefully it isn't too bad but rather a disease of them to worry about while driving on uk roads...

Reactions: Nick_B
Hi All,

M6 heading south, mile upon mile of 'smart' motorway construction with 50 mph limit, dark, narrow lanes, raining and then ... bang!!! I crash through a massive pothole which I did not see and even if I did, unlikely I could do anything to avoid it.

All this is extremely unconfortable, especially with 19" 35 section tyres. No damage visible to tyre of rim, however I thought I detected a slight vibration at 70 mph (maybe my imagination as was long drive at the end of a long day and getting tired).

Anyway - a company car so not my expense. Is now with the local Audi dealer to be checked over with 4 wheel alignment check. Will see what, if anything is broken.....

Take care.....
Feel for you mate - I spend my daily commute dodging round large holes, but particularly unpleasant on less familiar roads and at motorway speeds. Hope all's ok

In many places its more like open cast mining than pot holes ! Blew out a relatively new tyre on a pot hole on a major trunk road and then spent ages trying to get compensation, sad to admit that they got the better of me and I gave up in the end!!

Reactions: Bryant1998, tickedon, Nick_B and 2 others
In many places its more like open cast mining than pot holes ! Blew out a relatively new tyre on a pot hole on a major trunk road and then spent ages trying to get compensation, sad to admit that they got the better of me and I gave up in the end!!
I had to change 2 of my 10 month old PS4Ss due to a pothole on the A40 earlier this month. I decided not to claim because I imagined that it would require more effort and perseverance than I have enthusiasm for. Sounds like I was right.

Reactions: Nick_B and elpeterol
My car has had a 4 wheel alignment at Audi - the OSF (which hit the pothole) was slightly out, however was adjusted back to where it should be. They say nothing appears to be damaged and road tested OK.

However..... there is a light, but noticeable vibration between 70 - 75 mph which I can feel through the seat and steering wheel. Not the 'shake' I would tend to assocate with unbalanced wheets, however as it happens within a relatively narrow speed range I am inclined to think wheel balance or tyre damage that was not apparant when the car was checked / aligned.

I will be calling the dealer on Monday morning.....

My car has had a 4 wheel alignment at Audi - the OSF (which hit the pothole) was slightly out, however was adjusted back to where it should be. They say nothing appears to be damaged and road tested OK.

However..... there is a light, but noticeable vibration between 70 - 75 mph which I can feel through the seat and steering wheel. Not the 'shake' I would tend to assocate with unbalanced wheets, however as it happens within a relatively narrow speed range I am inclined to think wheel balance or tyre damage that was not apparant when the car was checked / aligned.

I will be calling the dealer on Monday morning.....
I had the same happen to me in December had all the wheels balanced but didn't cure it turned out to be a buckled wheel!

I had the same happen to me in December had all the wheels balanced but didn't cure it turned out to be a buckled wheel!

Interesting - I guess a buckled wheel may not be immediately obvious - though I would have thought / hoped the dealer might have checked carefully when the car went in for its alignment, especially as the reason for the alignment was hitting a pothole.

Perfecly smooth up to 65 mph (ish) then a bit of vibration grom 65 to 75 - then smooth again.... I will wait to see what they have to say on Monday!

I cracked an alloy on a pot hole just over a year ago. I did put in a claim but all I’ve had is generic email auto replies. I’m considering sending a notice before action letter to see if it at least gets a proper response from the council.

I think I may have dodged a bullet - 4 wheel alignment and 4 wheel balanced and car is running smoothly again. I did report the pothole to the highways agency as was on motorway and clearly posing a safety risk. The roads are becomming so much worse - so much so that I am considering swaping the 19" wheels and 245/35 rubber with 17" wheels with plenty of tyre sidewall.

Looking forward to my trip to the Alps in a couple of weeks - and the wonderfully smooth French roads......

Reactions: And1 and cuke2u
I cracked an alloy on a pot hole just over a year ago. I did put in a claim but all I’ve had is generic email auto replies. I’m considering sending a notice before action letter to see if it at least gets a proper response from the council.

You’re only just considering that now for something that happened a year ago??

I’ve only been waiting a month and already had a councillor escalate it as I’ve had no response.

You’re only just considering that now for something that happened a year ago??

I’ve only been waiting a month and already had a councillor escalate it as I’ve had no response.

I have plenty of other things to keep my busy rather than chasing up the council. :D

Reactions: tickedon
PHOTO 2020 03 01 11 04 06

Reactions: Nick_B and WesT-gefül
I have plenty of other things to keep my busy rather than chasing up the council. :D
If more of us put pressure on the council's, make complaints, involve local councillors and MP's the more they will have to do something. Councils are publically funded thus accountable to all of us particularly motorists who being taxed to the hilt have a right to expect not having our cars damaged by incompetent public service employees. After all our money is supposed to be directly aimed at the road network. Personally I have involved our local Parish council and only the other day I was messaging the leader of our district council who is in full agreement the situation is not good enough...

Reactions: Nick_B and WesT-gefül
Totally agree. You have to make complaints. I was in the south (Ireland) and the roads down there have become so good. Silent and smooth down on the motorways. Didn’t come across one pothole on our journey.

Reactions: Nick_B and cuke2u
Totally agree. You have to make complaints. I was in the south (Ireland) and the roads down there have become so good. Silent and smooth down on the motorways. Didn’t come across one pothole on our journey.

Agree and likewise on the Continent where roads are smooth and well maintained - we should really ramp up the complaints both to councils and highways agency. I am finding driving is becomming more and more stressful with the increased risk of hitting major potholes - I can accept this when driving on minor country roads, but when the risk extends to M-ways and 'A' roads with the associated higher speeds, it is totally unacceptable.

I am now really missing my previous car, a BMW 320d Efficient Dynamics. OK - not so much the car itself but more its 205/60 section tyres which are so, so much more suited to UK roads. The 245 / 35 tyres on my S-line (even with adaptove suspension) are simply not suitable for our roads.

Mine is a company car, however as I will have it for another two and a half years I am looking at sourcing a set of 17" wheels and simply putting the 19" ones into storage until it is time for a new car.

Reactions: cuke2u and WesT-gefül
Hi All,

I thought my pothole incident had been resolved - alas not quite the case and very evident after 1500 miles of driving this weekend (a round trip to the French Alps - all ski resorts closed literally hours after I and many hundreds of others arrived).

To recap - hit a massive pothole on the M6, car now vibrates at speeds over 60 mph. Into the dealer who carry out a full 4 wheel alignment - front was slightly out but adjusted back to spec. Back again a couple of days later as vibration is still there - I ask them to balance all wheels and check *very* carefully for any buckled alloys. They balance all wheels, rotate front to rear and send me on my way....

Vibration not resolved and appearing to get worse, or maybe more apparent on the smooth French roads. At this point I lose confidence in Audi and take the car to a small independent tyre shop - I ask them to balance all 4 wheels and check for any buckles. First thing to note was that the fronts were way out of balance (10g and 30g each). More significantly, one of the rears (which used to be on the front) had a huge buckle that was immediately visible as the tyre was spun on the balancing machine.

How an Audi technician missed this is completely beyond me!! A new wheel has been ordered.