1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Potholes! Can I still drive on this tyre?

LJC105 Jun 22, 2017

1. LJC105

LJC105 Registered User

Spotted some alloy damage on my S3 as the photo shows. Friend suggests it's from a pothole. Am I allowed to drive on this tyre?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. GSB

GSB Well-Known Member Gold Supporter

I'm not sure I would, how deep is it though?

If it doesn't meet MOT inspection criteria, then you'll have to scrap it to stay legal.

Reason for Rejection
    a. A tyre has a cut the length of which is in excess of 25 mm or 10% of section width, whichever is greater, deep enough to reach the ply or cords
    b. a tyre has:
    a lump, bulge or tear caused by separation or partial failure of its structure. This includes any lifting of the tread rubber
    any of its ply or cord exposed

LJC105 likes this.
  4. Wibbly

Wibbly Registered User

Looks pretty dangerous to me. Looks the same as it might have been had type been slashed instead. I wouldn't want to drive or be a passenger in any car with a tyre like that, let alone a S3...

5. cemerson

cemerson Registered User

I wouldn't. Get the spare on it and get it changed ASAP.

6. RichardT

RichardT Registered User

Looks illegal

7. Svenedin

Svenedin Registered User

There's obvious sidewall damage. It depends on whether the cords are damaged but I would not even consider risking it. Get a new tyre. It's bad luck and money you didn't want to spend but safety is too important.

8. Wibbly

Wibbly Registered User

Consolation is that the wheel itself looks only to have sustained cosmetic damage...

9. Don76

Don76 Registered User

Defo get that changed fella. Imagine what it looks like at motorway speeds when the tyre is hot.

Think of the damage that a blowout would cause.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

10. Flying Scotsman

Flying Scotsman Registered User

As others have stated, replace it, it's not worth risking a blowout and the possible/probable results of what occurs after especially a high speed blowout.

11. desertstorm

desertstorm Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

That doesn't look like pothole damage to me more like the corner of a Kerb or similar. Either way I wouldn't want to be driving around with that tyre as you can't see what has been damaged in the structure of the tyre.

RSS-S3 likes this.
  12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. MikeParkin

MikeParkin Registered User

To your question I would say yes you could still drive on it but not far and not at any high speeds. I would consider getting it changed relatively soon.

14. RSS-S3

RSS-S3 Registered User

Its not worth the risk, it has significant damage there and is just better to be replaced and stay safe.

15. LJC105

LJC105 Registered User

The worst part of it all is I don't know when this happened! I've done the London > Manchester roundtrip this week in the car and it worries me to think this could've happened before driving at motorway speeds. Will be calling the local tyre fitters in the morning.

Thanks for your input guys :)

16. Whitestar

Whitestar Registered User

I'd get it changed ASAP, it's not worth the risk.

17. Audi Bairn

Audi Bairn Moderator Staff Member Moderator Gold Supporter

Whether it's legal or not, I wouldn't be driving on that.
    It's a weakness that could end in tears.
    Play it safe and change it.