1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pothole, or not?

QuattroCalum May 15, 2018

1. QuattroCalum

QuattroCalum Well-Known Member saloon Audi A4 Black Edition Saloon Manual

I read this article and have come to the conclusion that the car must have been in very poor condition for this to happen OR it was a monster of a pothole.
    here's the article http://garagewire.co.uk/offbeat-new... pothole rips rear axle from vehicle at 25mph

For the whole axle to come off there must have been serious corrosion within twelve inches of the rear suspension mounts, well that's my thoughts anyway.
    The article is a little vague though as it doesn't mention the age of the vehicle in question but for such a failure to happen at all is concerning to say the least.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. LawrenceH

LawrenceH Active Member

1) a “small” pothole ripped both rear wheels off? They’re not beam axle are they?

2) she span four times at 25mph?

I think someone is exaggerating.

4. joinerman

joinerman Well-Known Member

“I must have spun about four times.

Yeh right at 25mph.

5. wolfie138

wolfie138 Active Member

to be fair she said she did, not the car :-D

6. Daveyonthemove

Daveyonthemove Well-Known Member TFSI Owners Group VCDS Map User Team Phantom Audi S3 quattro Manual

In fairness, with the rear axle missing and the only traction available (2 tyres) no longer attached to the car, it probably would spin around especially if she over corrected the car in a panic.

7. luke_m87

luke_m87 Member

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rear-axle-Ford-Fiesta-driving-just-25mph.html
    Another article here, I'd read this the other day and thought much the same.
    The car must have been in a bad way to do this much damage.

They definitely did at that age and the following shape. Not so sure any more?

To spin 4 times I imagine she may have still been accelerating + when braking there would have only been the front wheels doing all the work. Add to that the angle the rear beam has finished it was only ever going to spin around in circles. But she must have been going faster then 25mph!

8. desertstorm

desertstorm Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User TDi Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group quattro

I suspect she was probably going faster than 25mph hit the pothole, lost control, rear wheels hit the kerb sideways at speed and rips the rear axle off. If the pothole was that bad there would have been many damaged vechicles

9. SootySport

SootySport Well-Known Member Team Silver

'Daisy' :shrug: