SQ5 Potential SQ5 owner

Bugsy_27

Vorsprung Durch Technik
Reaction score
It's been a while since I've been on here since selling my A3 for an M3, anyway I'm now in need of a more practical car having 2 bulldog puppies and planning on starting a family and I've decided on the Audi SQ5.

I'm due to see 2 this weekend and wondered are there any common fault I should look out for? or any must have extras? I was surprised they don't come with sat nav standard!

Thanks

Reactions: NevMan
Interesting pathway to the SQ5. I came from a 8V S3 Sportback. Had mine nearly 3 years now and love it. The power (particularly the torque of the 3 litre V6) is addictive and I average about 38 mpg on a motorway run - so win win. Desirable, though not essential but come trade in time might be worth it, are privacy glass, B & O sound, HDD sat nav and power tailgate. Also desirable are the 21" alloys. A firmer ride than the 20's but finish the car off nicely. Coming from a M3 tyre prices will be no shock but expect to pay £850 for a set of 4 Pirelli's. Servicing costs are really quite acceptable for a big barge like these. I use an independent (a former Audi Master Technician) who keeps the labour rates down and uses genuine Audi parts. He also can access Audi's service system and logs my servicing on their database. In summary, I don't think you'll be at all disappointed with your purchase. Plenty to chose from on Autotrader. Also check out another forum, MyAUDIQ5, which is really useful and a friendly forum community. Hope this helps. If you need anything further PM me.

Reactions: einonsy, NevMan, Bugsy_27 and 1 other person
I'll throw my hat into this ring. Currently a BMW 430d GC owner on a PCP ending in Jan next year. I'm already doing my research and have been intent on going Audi for my next car for some time. I looked at the Cayman but the 2.0 litre, 4 cylinder is not acceptable imho! The Audi S models are my target. S4 is good value for me, well specced up here in Ireland I can get it for €83K. Now that's with 18in alloys which put it into the lower tax band compared to the car with the 19in wheels and that means a €5-6K saving with the 18in wheels...Plus a €200 a year on road tax saving.

But talking to Audi, the SQ5 is suddenly in the mix because the GFV is much higher than the S4/S5 so the monthly payments come down, so a well specced SQ5 with the air suspension etc is around the same monthly payment as the S4 even though it's €10K more expensive.

Space is not an issue for me, married with no kids. So no genuine need for an SUV. If I look at it, there's around a €126 month running cost for an SQ5 over and S4. That's the slightly worse MPG, the extra road tax and the much higher insurance.

Clearly, my head says S4 but there's something genuinely cool about the SQ5.

What would y'all choose?

I bought the 2nd Gen SQ5 but could have gone S4 Avant if the wife was not been set on a SUV...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I have an SQ5 because I like the high up driving position and the fact it is a bit different.

Not sure there will be that much between S4 and SQ5 on fuel consumption in real life.... and surprised about the comment on insurance, I managed to add my 25 year old daughter to my policy and its still not that pricey...

Not sure how specs compare between S4 and SQ5 too, maybe more standard on the Q?

I'll throw my hat into this ring. Currently a BMW 430d GC owner on a PCP ending in Jan next year. I'm already doing my research and have been intent on going Audi for my next car for some time. I looked at the Cayman but the 2.0 litre, 4 cylinder is not acceptable imho! The Audi S models are my target. S4 is good value for me, well specced up here in Ireland I can get it for €83K. Now that's with 18in alloys which put it into the lower tax band compared to the car with the 19in wheels and that means a €5-6K saving with the 18in wheels...Plus a €200 a year on road tax saving.

But talking to Audi, the SQ5 is suddenly in the mix because the GFV is much higher than the S4/S5 so the monthly payments come down, so a well specced SQ5 with the air suspension etc is around the same monthly payment as the S4 even though it's €10K more expensive.

Space is not an issue for me, married with no kids. So no genuine need for an SUV. If I look at it, there's around a €126 month running cost for an SQ5 over and S4. That's the slightly worse MPG, the extra road tax and the much higher insurance.

Clearly, my head says S4 but there's something genuinely cool about the SQ5.

What would y'all choose?

Some really good analysis there! SQ5 all the way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some really good analysis there! SQ5 all the way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wouldn't you know it, for some reason, Audi have reduced the GFV by €7K which obviously affects the monthlys and makes the SQ5 now €200 more per month than the S4.

Wouldn't you know it, for some reason, Audi have reduced the GFV by €7K which obviously affects the monthlys and makes the SQ5 now €200 more per month than the S4.

What % of list price are you being quoted and over what period? My 4 year PCP with 20416 mile allowance has a GFMV of 53% of list OTR price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What % of list price are you being quoted and over what period? My 4 year PCP with 20416 mile allowance has a GFMV of 53% of list OTR price.

I swear to god, we get doubly screwed over here. The GFMV here for the SQ5 which has a starting price of €84,400 (and over here the cars come with nothing, you have to go mad on the options list), is €32,916 or 39%. And that's typical of Audis here. The S5 has a starting list price of €83,840 and the GFMV is even worse at €28,500. Audi try and persuade you that it means you have huge equity come trade-in time but that's b***ocks.

And when you add any options on, it makes no difference to the GFMV. To get the SQ5 anywhere near decent, I get to €94,000.

Wow, new car prices in Ireland are high. Does Ireland have higher car registration duty than the UK??? GFMV is very dependent on agreed mileages and the second hand car market in a country.

Wow, new car prices in Ireland are high. Does Ireland have higher car registration duty than the UK??? GFMV is very dependent on agreed mileages and the second hand car market in a country.

it's very high sadly. All linked to CO2. You're talking 30% of the cars basic price on an SQ5 and then VAT on top of that. it's actually a disgrace, it's a double tax. And those higher bands affect the options as well, as they all attract the tax as well. The Netherlands is very similar to here, run by lunatics.

It's Diesel mad over here, everything is set up for it. Diesel is cheaper at the pumps by 10c a litre typically. The Vehicle Registration Tax is lower on diesels as is road tax and because they hold their value better as people feel they've no choice in buying a diesel, finance is better on diesels as well with the higher GFMVs.

So any petrolheads are up against it here.

I'm test driving an 18 plate SQ5 tomorrow, on going back & leg problem are making me re-think the RS3. Can't give up too much power !!!.

Enjoy, let us know what you think. A nice map and some tweaks could get you a little nearer the RS3

That's pretty high considering you have a fair few options. Think mine is slightly under 50% on 10k per annum. Certainly not expecting any equity at the end at those levels....in fact, may make the plan to swap after three years or so a challenge as last year will be free motoring as expect the 3 year / 30k mile trade in price to not be much higher than 4 yr GFV....

Enjoy, let us know what you think. A nice map and some tweaks could get you a little nearer the RS3
.............will do. It's a high spec 18 plate with most options as far as i can tell pano roof, the 5 spoke 21'' alloys which were a must as not keen on the 21'' multi spoke ones.

Hoping for RSQ5 in the coming years, but would settle for a SQ, but do feel RS in some form is on the cards in the next 2-3 for me.

That's pretty high considering you have a fair few options. Think mine is slightly under 50% on 10k per annum. Certainly not expecting any equity at the end at those levels....in fact, may make the plan to swap after three years or so a challenge as last year will be free motoring as expect the 3 year / 30k mile trade in price to not be much higher than 4 yr GFV....

I was dividing by OTR with no options ;) It’s 43% of my OTR including options, without finance discount! If I do the mileage I figure the car with be worth the final payment and no more which is fine as I expect to keep it for at least 6-7 years (Paid for the 5 year warranty).

You never know, this WLTP gap on deliveries of cars might allow values to hold up a bit...

Still enjoying the SQ5 @mxnrg ? I haven't seen much since your UTR "issues" :whistle2:

I was dividing by OTR with no options ;) It’s 43% of my OTR including options, without finance discount! If I do the mileage I figure the car with be worth the final payment and no more which is fine as I expect to keep it for at least 6-7 years (Paid for the 5 year warranty).

You never know, this WLTP gap on deliveries of cars might allow values to hold up a bit...

Doubt that last point very much, the discounts on stock cars to sell them are pretty high!

I think my GFV (4 years and 40k) is 49% of the price I paid (before discounts were so good) - so my chances of equity are next to nil....and whereas I had thought of buying it out, I think I have decided that retirement planning is more important!

Think a lot depends on what deposit you put in. I have had my car since Mar 18 on 4 year PCP, and having put £6k down, my settlement at the moment is just over £30k, and Autotrader "standard" valuation is £34k. Whilst I know the used valuation will drop over the next few years, I am fairly confident I will get pretty much my deposit back, as GFV in at the end is £20k, and looking at AT 2015 cars are £26k + (obviously mileage, condition and spec makes difference). I won't be keeping this one the full term anyway, and am tracking payments/interest etc, and will sell at what I think is the best time

Think a lot depends on what deposit you put in. I have had my car since Mar 18 on 4 year PCP, and having put £6k down, my settlement at the moment is just over £30k, and Autotrader "standard" valuation is £34k. Whilst I know the used valuation will drop over the next few years, I am fairly confident I will get pretty much my deposit back, as GFV in at the end is £20k, and looking at AT 2015 cars are £26k + (obviously mileage, condition and spec makes difference). I won't be keeping this one the full term anyway, and am tracking payments/interest etc, and will sell at what I think is the best time

I put in 10k give or take. WBAC says currently worth about £40k, settlement will be very similar 1 year in. I dont expect to ever get more than I owe for it in a real deal - not one where they are overvaluing partex and reducing available discount on new one.

If a main dealer has it on at £26k I doubt they will have paid more than £22k for it. You might get £23.5k as private sale....

I do agree, however as I said, I WILL NOT be waiting for the 4 years, and as such the final £20k payment. I will sell before then, and am not naive enough to expect to get exactly what is quoted, but as I am not in neg equity already after 6 months, think I will be ok, but who knows :icon thumright:

Still enjoying the SQ5 @mxnrg ? I haven't seen much since your UTR "issues" :whistle2:

Hey q5man,

Still just short of 1000 miles (774) and have not done any distance for a couple of weeks. My brief play with Dynamic mode during a motorway run when up to temperature was lively, exhaust note is very different from the Comfort mode I’ve been pootling round in. Am set for some trips to the airport before the end if the month, so am looking forward to more fun!

I won’t hijack this thread with my inability to get the ‘kick’ action to get the boot hatch to open ;)

Hey q5man,

Still just short of 1000 miles (774) and have not done any distance for a couple of weeks. My brief play with Dynamic mode during a motorway run when up to temperature was lively, exhaust note is very different from the Comfort mode I’ve been pootling round in. Am set for some trips to the airport before the end if the month, so am looking forward to more fun!

I won’t hijack this thread with my inability to get the ‘kick’ action to get the boot hatch to open ;)

That’s really not very many miles considering you have had it 3 months! I am now on 14000, it’s improving all the time. Like you I poorly in comfort and switch to dynamic for fun occasionally. Long journeys are my thing though - I reckon over 80% of my miles have been on Mways or duals.

It has served as removal can for my son though when he moved about 3 miles from Kennington to Elephant & Castle. Did us proud, although a day average of 18mpg hurt!

Well test drive went great & i'm going to have the car. Should pick up very soon so spec & pics to follow after collection.

That’s really not very many miles considering you have had it 3 months! I am now on 14000, it’s improving all the time. Like you I poorly in comfort and switch to dynamic for fun occasionally. Long journeys are my thing though - I reckon over 80% of my miles have been on Mways or duals.

It has served as removal can for my son though when he moved about 3 miles from Kennington to Elephant & Castle. Did us proud, although a day average of 18mpg hurt!
Agree. Had my Q5 since end of March and on 5800. Plugged in a DTUK tuning box this week to take me over 300bhp and 444 lbs torque :icon thumright:

Well test drive went great & i'm going to have the car. Should pick up very soon so spec & pics to follow after collection.
Nice mate, goord to hear went well, and look forward to spec and pics :icon thumright:

And then when you miss the RS3 power, you can get one of these :whistle2::rockwoot::racer:

Reactions: RS3 S.
Upload 2018 9 20 8 53 55

Thanks q5man. The RS3 is a fantastic car & the noise alone from the factory sport exhaust is going to be really missed BUT the continuing trapped nerve in my leg combined with the difficulty it gives me trying to getting in & out of it when it's playing up means i need to move on.

I'll bet @RS3 S. I am sure they will give you good price, as they (RS 3's) always in demand, and one of my personal favourites.
Ouch, sounds painful...the Q range definitely a lot easier to get in/out of and much more comfortable drive than RS3, but a "bit" less raucous :whistle2:

Reactions: RS3 S.
I'll bet @RS3 S. I am sure they will give you good price, as they (RS 3's) always in demand, and one of my personal favourites.
Ouch, sounds painful...the Q range definitely a lot easier to get in/out of and much more comfortable drive than RS3, but a "bit" less raucous :whistle2:
............trapped nerve has been 3 time in the last year & even my Mrs says '' that car'' won't help even when you'r not suffering it must be adding to it?. So with that it's time foe a change.