Potential New B8.5 A4 Avant or S4 Owner - Question Help!

Harey

Reaction score
Hi all,

Newbie, asking a few questions, to help me make a decision! I am not a new Audi owner, as we have a MY2014 Q3 S-Line. However, this is more my daily driver. I've just sold a Merc A45 AMG, to get some more load carrying, and covering more miles with a new job. Previously I've owned M3's, M5's a Lexus ISF and a few Maserati's; so a petrol head :)

My decision is either a new B8.5 A4 Avant or a nearly new S4 Avant. My head says A4 Avant 177 2.0TD Black Edition Plus for full warranty and MPG (and some good finance deals), my heart says S4 for performance.

What I need help knowing is:
- What are S4 owners getting on a combined (real world) MPG? As I am worried about fuel on my higher mileage!
- Has anybody seen a photo (not artist impression) of the new A4 Black Edition Plus 5-V-Spoke Alloys?

Thanks
Chris

I'd say S4 having owned one.
MPG depends on driving style and conditions, I average about 23-24MPG with a lot of rush hour stop start motorway driving combined with a bit of A and B road driving. I have seen well into the 30s however on long motorway runs in free flowing traffic.

I'd say S4 having owned one.
MPG depends on driving style and conditions, I average about 23-24MPG with a lot of rush hour stop start motorway driving combined with a bit of A and B road driving. I have seen well into the 30s however on long motorway runs in free flowing traffic.
Me to, although my hikes down to France involve a fully loaded S4 Avant with roofbox, so the best has been more like 29mpg,

You need a 3.0Tdi then, plenty of performance and decent economy and very smooth engine.
I average high thirties.

About 28 mpg mixed roads being relatively light footed, long motorway drives 30 plus easily, hard local driving low 20s. There is no comparison in real performance with the diesel, instant throttle response from the supercharger and if you are used to an A45 you will enjoy it!

I've never seen above 29 on my S4, but it's an early one and I think the newer ones tend to get better mpg. Real world, 35mpg for me.
If you're worried about mpg, go diesel. Though I just filled up (35miles left) for £53!
The sound and feel of the S4 is amazing compared to a 177TDI. I'd drive both.

Like it says earlier, the 3.0TDI is just what you need, more torque than the S4 and RS4 and a fair bit more MPG

I had a 2011 3.0TDi prior to getting my S4 - great engine, averaged 36 mpg over 3 years, but not as much fun as the S4.
Only done 6k is the S4 and averaging 25 mpg.

The MPG from the 2.0 TDi 177 can't be that great, especially if you go for quattro (I had a B7 2.0TDi 170 Quattro and only ever got 34-36mpg!)

As said above, go and drive both - to be honest, judging from your previous car line-up, I think you'll be disappointed with the 2.0TDi...just saying:)

I get around 23 MPG and i drive normally with a poke here and there! Luv my car to bits tho! get the S4 :)

Reactions: Keef
Over 14k miles my B8.5 has averaged 23.7mpg, which has been made up of mostly urban shortish journeys.

Motorway runs are usually around 28mpg, although a blissful 90 mile jaunt last week saw an average of 32mpg at a steady 75-80mpg cruise

My fuel spreadsheet says my S4 has done 23.4mpg over the first 2046 miles. Best fill up 26.3mpg. Worst 21.7mpg. I use Shell ordinary stuff (Fuelsave).

...and what about the SOUND!...nobody's mentioned the SOUND!...Ahhhhhh...the sound..!!! :D:D

Reactions: Keef and barkliejm
Buy with your heart! You won't get bored then!

After 3.5k miles the computer is reporting long term average is 27 mpg. It rarely sees any stop start driving and most of the mileage is done by my wife carting the kids about. On long and not so long trips it will easily crack over 30 mpg. Best seen on one journey was 35 mpg but that was exceptional. There is very little difference for me in real world fuel costs between my old 265 bhp 2.0 turbo S3 and this. Amazing car that just does everything you want with bells on. Want a sedate cruise in comfort and style - check. Wan't a hoon with a great sound track and character - check. Want to take half your possesions to the tip in one trip at warp 10 - check.

There is no comparison, expecialy as the real world mpg of most of these derv's is poor. You'd almost be better off going for the 2.0T unless your mileage is really high.

Oh, and have you actually had a quote for a new one? I started off thinking nearly new but I bought mine new for less than a year old on was advertised on the forecourt. Have a look at orange wheels to see the discount you could get. New model out next year (this year?) so going cheap(ish).

Last edited:
Reactions: ERBY
My commute is about 12 miles of A roads and a litlte bit of town driving, this morning I got 27mpg. I'm averaging about 25 at the moment, but it's cold. Getting 30 very easily when I do motorway runs.

Apart from sitting in traffic on a short trip to town I've never seen less than in the 20's, and that includes trips that taking in some blasting.

I'd like a bit better fuel consumption, but it's not a deal breaker for me. Ultimately the S4 (Avant in my case) is the most complete all round car. Fantastic comfortable cruiser, stuff mover, kid chariot and back lane blaster. What other car can you pop your kids and all the stuff in, trundle down the motorway in total comfort and when you've got the car free can instantly turn into a ballistic 4WD sports car? Not many I can think of.

It's always nice knowing that there is very little on the road than can beat you away from a set of lights, even when you're sat in an estate :)

Reactions: ERBY, elpeterol and Keef
I share UB7' and opelfruits sentiments exactly, it really is a kind of 'hybrid-vehicle' (not in the true sense of course!) Suiting all my needs perfectly. I had a B6 version sometime ago (V8) but switched to an oil burner because of the 'then hole' in the fuel tank...in hindsight the poor efficiency was a bit of an extreme case for that car and for me now I think Audi have nailed it.
(My 3.0 diesel Merc averaged 36 over the 4 years I had it which I think is also a 'bit average' particularly as I had to endure so much boredom:()

Reactions: Keef and scotty76
David, snap!
Exactly what I did, use to have a B6 S4 Avant, (use to average 17-20 mpg) then changed to a string of oil burners before coming back to a new S4

Reactions: ERBY
…and don't forget the Tax! So we've got our own back on HMRC too! (Well sort of?):p

hmmm, all I can say is that in my case there is no victory over HMRC, what small skirmishes one wins the large war is always won on their side, god damn them.

....but yes, lower tax does help :D