Potential MAF problem

willh

Reaction score
My 2002 A6 1.9tdi 130 AWX avant returns just under 40mpg in mixed driving, but I feel this should be slightly higher. I do many steady motorway miles so would expect closer to 45ish. I know it's not a lot but it all adds up...!

Using VAG-COM yesterday we read the MAF actual which stated it should be 210-350 mg/str, but was reading live at idle with the engine warm at around 550.

Does this signify an issue or is that about right? Aside from that the car is running great, although does have a "boomy" rumble around 1500-2200 rpm which sounds like something somewhere is very slightly off balance or a sensor is slightly out. I've tweaked the remap to lower peak torque around this area which has helped but certainly shows something may be off.

The MAF would just be a nice easy part to swap out to try first!

40mpg for a 1.9tdi is reasonable,especially in mixed driving. I can achieve 40mpg only driving extra urban. I think everything is ok on your car, so just chill.

Don't take this personally, but to achieve 45mpg, the best way is to change your driving habit :)

Yeah, a heavy right foot might cause some of my MPG issues...!

Does anyone have an answer for my MAF read out VS what it should be however? Even if it doesn't change my MPG I'd like to know one way or another.

The Mrs gets 49 from her 130 awx. She hardly hangs around.

Back to my first post:

Using VAG-COM yesterday we read the MAF actual which stated it should be 210-350 mg/str, but was reading live at idle with the engine warm at around 550.

Is this to be expected?