Potentail New Purchase

way318

Reaction score
Hi, I am looking to purchase an Audi A4 avant 2.0 TDI 143 S Line Multitronic on a 2011 plate, but it has high mileage.

I've only ever owned 1 Audi previously which was a 2001 A4 B6, what do I need to look out for when buying a B8?

Also, am I better off getting a petrol instead of a diesel as my main commute to work is only a short distance and will only do the odd 200 mile round trip every now and then.

Sorry for asking this, as I guess its been asked a number of times.

Depends on your definition of a short journey.

Modern diesels dont like lots of short runs at low revs. I recon 7 miles minimum commute would be OK.

My short journey consists of approx 10 miles each way and 80% motorway.

The short journeys has caused problems with my current diesel and as a result had loss of power above 2k for a few weeks until I cleaned my dpf, hence why considering buying a petrol instead.

I presume the B8 2.0 TDI has some common failings, but just don't know what they are and because the car i'm looking at has over 100k on the clock and would expect to previous owner to have come across them by now or they may be just around the corner waiting for the next owner (which my be me).

The only problem i know about the B8 2.0TDI was the oil pump shaft but i believe around 2010 they fixed the problem the shaft on the pump was to short if you imagine a allen key shape in a hole i think it was only like 10mm into the hole so it would round of in the end so they lengthened it which fixed it

Hope that makes sense

But apart from that i dont know of many more o the DSG gearbox not very reliable a great piece of kit but not reliable why i ened up with a manual

:( would really like to know from what date this revised oil pump shaft occured
hopefully finnders crossed mines revised

:( would really like to know from what date this revised oil pump shaft occured
hopefully finnders crossed mines revised

I don't know i just remember being told about an oil pump issue but can imagine the repair bill will be massive
Don't take me word for gospel i am by no means a seasoned Audi expert

Thanks for the reply.

What's the auto box like in the A4?

I've never owned an auto but have driven a few and ideally would like to get one this time, but not sure how reliable they are, as read many stories about problems with the multitronic box.

If you really are doing that few miles then petrol would seem the way to go. Should be cheaper to buy than equivalent diesel, only downside being annual tax being probably higher. However note that older 2.0TFSI (2009/10?) engines had some oil burning problems. .Nothing is straightforward with a used car