Post your rattles (and fixes)

Problem: I've been trying to 'cure' a rattle that I've been getting from the rear of my car for some time now. Thought we had it today when Audi found a little plastic guard under the car that was snapped and was hitting something, however that was replaced and still the rattle continues...

I can only describe it as as a metal kinda rattle that seems to be coming from the O/S/R. So far I have removed the parcel shelf and the rattle continued, I also folded the rear seats and the rattle stopped, however I've put the rear seats back up and still no rattle - but I know 100% it will be back, it always comes back, could be tomorrow or could be the weekend lol. The rattle almost sounds like the seats aren't pushed fully back into position as I had that problem once, but the seats are back fully.

Fix: Any ideas what it could be?

Feel free to share your rattles and fixes....

This is the problem for me

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3189559&page=3

What is? Are you trying to remove the rear seat base?

Took it out then plastic dipped the loop and no more noise:rockwoot:

dude, I swear, if this works, I owe you a drink....seriously....if you're at any meets, let me know and I'll buy you one.

I have the rear bench out at the mo, will look at padding it out a bit more and taping down anything that can possibly move or come into contact with anything else.

Problem:

When pulling away from a standstill, or even when moving sometimes at low revs, its a very low pitched vibrating sound....seems to come from the center of the dash

Problem: When i turn the car left and then straighten up, i hear a clicking noise from my passenger door. I think i have found where its coming from, its the plastic for the part of the door that you are suppose to hold on to, to pull the door shut, located just below the door handle itself. Bit of a shoddy explanation but i hope u know where i mean..

Fix: Can anyone fix/help me pls???

Problem: When i turn the car left and then straighten up, i hear a clicking noise from my passenger door. I think i have found where its coming from, its the plastic for the part of the door that you are suppose to hold on to, to pull the door shut, located just below the door handle itself. Bit of a shoddy explanation but i hope u know where i mean..

Fix: Can anyone fix/help me pls???

Check out this thread which explains how to remove the door card. Take it off and there are a few torx screws holding the handle on to the door. Perhaps remove the handle and refit, see if it's any better. Could maybe use some felt to pad out areas which you think could cause a rattle. Leave the door card off and go for a drive, see if the rattle remains or if it's gone. A lot of trial and error involved (usually) but you should be able to fix it if you're certain it's from the door.

Well, it pains me to say it, but the rattle IS back with the rear bench removed. I now have all head rests removed, parcel shelf removed and the passenger side (smaller) rear seat folded down and the rattle is worse than ever. However I believe I have found the cause. After much "banging" around in the back, I found that I THINK the cause of the rattles is two things; 1) the middle seat belt makes a vibrating noise from inside the seat when the rear seat vibrates over bumps, 2) where the drivers side (bigger) rear seat clips into position, I believe the clip is not tight enough and is causing a rattling noise. These 2 together and tada you have the noise that I describe. However the problem is fixing it. I tried using a sticky pad around the clip which the O/S/R seat clips in to, and that made it a little better, but it was only a "test" since the clip ripped it apart when folding the seat forward again. Now the noise seems worse!!!

Any suggestions on how to make the seat clip tighter into place and/or how to get access to the MIDDLE rear seat belt to stop the rattling????

Many thanks

Scott

Hi,

This a very useful thread even though ive only had following two problems :

1. Creaky armrest and

1. The armrest only use to make noise when i use rest my elbow / arm on it. Went to hobbycraft bought a black sticky felt and used on the inside of armrest as shown below

Sal

Just got myself some black felt and stuck it on the underside of the armrest in a similar fashion.

Nice work..... that creak has now gone!!

PROBLEM: Most rattles inside the car

FIX: Once you locate the problem, self adhesive Velcro (the fluffy part), which can be bought in various widths and colours...

Scott just take the car to audi, its new so it shouldnt be doing this anyway & they will resolve it if its a loose fixing, certainly seat belts take fair while before start becoming worn inside so they should deal with aswell.

Scott just take the car to audi, its new so it shouldnt be doing this anyway & they will resolve it if its a loose fixing, certainly seat belts take fair while before start becoming worn inside so they should deal with aswell.

have done mate and ****** typical the rattles stopped for all of 10 mins so I couldn't show them :banghead:

The part where the driver's seatbelt clicks is seriously starting to annoy me.

Also, when the engine is cold it makes this high pitching sound...

View My Video

Anyone got a solution for this? If not, my stealer will earn money to fix something that shouldn't be getting fixed in the first place :sign_unfair:

Finally got my door resprayed to an acceptable standard - now I've got rattles from the door card, but that was expected, as they can never seen to refit the door card properly.

I posted a thread HERE but no one replied. Basically I'm looking for the best way to sound deaden / reduce rattles with the door cards, e.g. foam etc.

Still have the rattle at the back of my car too :(:(:(

Annoying rattle in ford focus, sold it bought Audi a4, same rattle! bought polo no rattle, bought A3 same rattle, answer, took Maglite out and moved ice sraper Cured!, Bought another A3, ****** drivers door window rattles!!!!!!!

Problem:

When pulling away from a standstill, or even when moving sometimes at low revs, its a very low pitched vibrating sound....seems to come from the center of the dash

Don't know if you eventually found a solution, but for the sake of others with a similar problem, try turning off the air-con fan (as in, completely, by repeatedly hitting the '-' button on the fan speed selector until the air-con system shuts down) and see of the noise goes away. If it does, then you have the same problem I had.

I took my car to my dealer and they had to remove the dash and replace one of the air-con fans :(. Fortunately, the car was under a 'freeway' plan that pays for all repairs etc until 100000km, so I didn't have to pay (whew).

In my case, I could adjust the pitch of the rattle by adjusting the air-con fan's air speed and then finding the right engine revs to cause the mechanical resonance that produced the sound. That was fun for about 4 minutes before it got annoying, but for aspiring DJ's it might be a useful bit of trivia.

Solution:
Win the lotto and pay to have Audi fix it.

I've sound proofed my doors recently and stopped all of the general "driving" rattles that I've been experiencing (apart from the one from the rear - which was the whole purpose of this thread! lol), especially on the drivers door which has been resprayed recently (long story). I still get rattles with bass as it's turned up full. It's only really noticeable when there isn't really anything else in the song, no singing or instruments, if you understand. I'm fairly sure it's the BOSE covers which clip into the door card that are rattling as I didn't touch them. Has anyone else experienced/currently experience this?

It's only really noticeable when there isn't really anything else in the song, no singing or instruments, if you understand. I'm fairly sure it's the BOSE covers which clip into the door card that are rattling as I didn't touch them. Has anyone else experienced/currently experience this?

I have bose too and the woofer on the rear does that. Couldn't bother opening the wall to see what's going wrong though. How do you unclip the side wall lining in the boot in a sportback?

I had a squeak coming from the rear seats in the car when I went over a bump (given the state of the roads this was all the time). The solution was to get a passenger to sit in the rear of the car. I now have a squeak free car.

I have bose too and the woofer on the rear does that. Couldn't bother opening the wall to see what's going wrong though. How do you unclip the side wall lining in the boot in a sportback?

If its the same as 3dr, then it has some springs clips that hold it in place, get your fingers round the boot seal & then under the plastic trim & slowly pull it from the car chassis, should eventually pull of, dont rush it or you'll break the spring clips plastic retaining part, I did this to one, thank god for epoxy.

Hey guys,

Problem: Have a very annoying rattle when the radio is on (more noticable with voice not music), seems 90% of it stops when i put a finger on the the speaker grill on the dashboard (centre towards the window, past the air vents)

Solution: Yes please! Its geting worse so guess its loose... anyone know how to take that off so i could ry sorting it myself? Going into my audi dealer is a right pain..!

Holy thread revival, Batman!!!

I thought rattles were a thing of the past ..it seems not. lol

I had my A3 for over 2 years before I suddenly started getting the parcel shelf rattle. I initially thought it was the sunblind, but it still rattled with the sunblind in the 'open' (i.e up) position, with some magazines of the the correct thickness wedged tighlty under the bottom edge of the blind. I've discovered that the rattle is worse if the shelf lugs are correctly seated into the retainers on the boot side trim, and if I pull shelf back a bit so the lugs just pop out of those retainers, the rattling is a whole lot less, but the shelf still rattles a bit.

Okay, whilst we're at it.

Problem: Sounds as though the boot mechanism is pressed when going over bumps?

Okay, whilst we're at it.

Problem: Sounds as though the boot mechanism is pressed when going over bumps?

I has simialr sounds....drove me mad!

Mine turned out to be the pastic protective stone guards attached to the rear trailing suspension arms - one was loose and nearly falling off, the other had damage around the fixing point (previous owner I suspect!)

Local stealer noticed the issue when having the fuel injector recall mod done, replaced the pair for me...not had a noise problem since!

Silicone grease on the door lock, catch and hinges worked for me.

Problem - Various cabin rattles and creaks coming from almost everywhere
Solution part 1 - Turn music up high and drown out the noises
Solution part 2 - Turn the music down slightly because the bass causes more vibrations from the back shelf and seat belt holders

Great idea for a thread, hope it grows to a large catalogue!

PROBLEM: Single clunk/click (not very loud) sounding like it could be coming from somewhere in cabin, but possibily somewhere outside car below or infront of O/S/F. Only happened when pulling off in 1st gear, reverse, and changing up from 1st to 2nd. Not present on braking or going over bumps.

FIX: Replaced O/S engine mount, and N/S gearbox mount.
Apparently quite a common fault after having cambelt changed. (not fault of mechanic, can just happen).

COST: Genuine parts �138.00. Audi supply and fit �500.
Luckily Audi replaced charging me for parts only.

I've just had my cambelt changed and I think I'm having this problem it's like a quiet click noise after taking your foot off the throttle in first and second gear... Anyone else had this problem?

PROBLEM : Metallic clunking noise when at idle and when gears were changed.
SOLUTION : Change DMF
COST : Arm and a fooking leg.... AKA 478 Spondoolies

I have an annoying 'clunk' when the indicator stalk returns to neutral after turning a corner!

Currently have a new Corsa as a hire car as I'm away for a course and even that has the BMW style indicator stalk that returns to neutral once engaged and cancels without any noise whatsoever

Any newer stalks that don't clunk on return?

My indicator only makes a quiet click when it returns to neutral.. maybe you need a new stalk?

I'm taking my car back to the garage where I had my cambelt done to get the noise assessed, if its quite common for mounts to go after the cambelt is changed I would've thought more threads on here about it?

Anyone having problems with rattling/creaking coming from the rear. I had this for ages after I bought my car and it was driving me completely nuts. It wasn't until I had to replace one of my brake lights that I noticed the light cluster felt a bit loose even after I'd tightened the bolt as far as it'd go. I had a google and discovered there should be rubber grommets over the metal studs that slot into the bodywork. These were missing on both clusters. I couldn't find anywhere selling the actual part so bought a couple of packs of assorted rubber grommets from Halfords. Whilst they're rings rather than 'caps' for the studs, they fit snugly and the clusters felt nice and sturdy after I tightened them back on. Rattle noise gone!

I have got the dreaded rattle that appears to come from the center of the dash at aroungg 1200 rpm. Any suggestions?