Post your rattles (and fixes)

Scott

Reaction score
Problem: I've been trying to 'cure' a rattle that I've been getting from the rear of my car for some time now. Thought we had it today when Audi found a little plastic guard under the car that was snapped and was hitting something, however that was replaced and still the rattle continues...

I can only describe it as as a metal kinda rattle that seems to be coming from the O/S/R. So far I have removed the parcel shelf and the rattle continued, I also folded the rear seats and the rattle stopped, however I've put the rear seats back up and still no rattle - but I know 100% it will be back, it always comes back, could be tomorrow or could be the weekend lol. The rattle almost sounds like the seats aren't pushed fully back into position as I had that problem once, but the seats are back fully.

Fix: Any ideas what it could be?

Feel free to share your rattles and fixes....

Last edited:
Im likin the idea of this thread..

Problem: I had a small sqeek rather than a rattle but im sure its ok in this thread..anywho! It was coming from the rear, found out it was from the boot, later to find it was the stupid clip on the strap that holds the plastic thing in on the boot floor in the middle of the spare wheel..

Fix: I ripped it off :D

Reactions: K.A
I have an annoying creaking sound from the passenger side of my a3, its driving me nuts lol

Cal

Reactions: Audin
No possibility of it bein your head rest for any strange reason Scott?

I have one too, one of the little fans inside the dash queasks slightly as it goes round. Also found that the parcel shelf with the sun visor on rattle when you go over a bump, so i bought a standard one lol

No possibility of it bein your head rest for any strange reason Scott?

I have one too, one of the little fans inside the dash queasks slightly as it goes round. Also found that the parcel shelf with the sun visor on rattle when you go over a bump, so i bought a standard one lol

Almost sure you wrote it was in my head then.... had to reread it a few times lol. It could be the head rest, I'll check it out more. I also have the parcel shelf with the sun visor - no rattles (so far)

Thanks

Must be psychic mate im tellin you lol!

Maybe mine was just a bit looser then with it bein a 4 year old car, it had to go though.

Great idea for a thread, hope it grows to a large catalogue!

PROBLEM: Single clunk/click (not very loud) sounding like it could be coming from somewhere in cabin, but possibily somewhere outside car below or infront of O/S/F. Only happened when pulling off in 1st gear, reverse, and changing up from 1st to 2nd. Not present on braking or going over bumps.

FIX: Replaced O/S engine mount, and N/S gearbox mount.
Apparently quite a common fault after having cambelt changed. (not fault of mechanic, can just happen).

COST: Genuine parts £138.00. Audi supply and fit £500.
Luckily Audi replaced charging me for parts only.

Excellent - I've changed the format of my first post to make it a little more organised, as above.

Problem: Annoying sound when I rest on my armrest..
Solution: Turn up radio... if anyone know as better idea please enlighten me.

Problem: When i give the TDI some rev's i hear a strange rattle up near the redline. Can't tell whether it happens in all gears for but certainly in 1st and 2nd.
Solution: No idea. Please help...

Nice thread BTW, it needs to be a sticky!

Problem: Annoying sound when I rest on my armrest..
Solution: Turn up radio... if anyone know as better idea please enlighten me.

Ditto this - good solution.
Apparently WD40 in the right places can cure this, however I tried and failed.

I like this idea!

Problem: My TDI rattles (vibrates) when I get upto 2000rpm, the noise is pretty load and can be felt by the whole car.

FIX: I don't know! If anyone can help then I'd appreciate that.
I have tried the tracking, and alignment, but vibrations still there.

PROBLEM: i have a creak coming from,what seems to be, behind the head unit or possibly the air vents and also get a plasticy tapping noise from engine bay when at 1100-1200rpm

FIX: have no idea. anyone had similar problem?

edit: and its impossible to check where the tapping noise is coming from on my own because of the stupid electronic throttle!

PROBLEM: i have a creak coming from,what seems to be, behind the head unit or possibly the air vents and also get a plasticy tapping noise from engine bay when at 1100-1200rpm

FIX: have no idea. anyone had similar problem?

edit: and its impossible to check where the tapping noise is coming from on my own because of the stupid electronic throttle!

Can you come up with some sort of contraption/weight that presses down on the gas pedal just enough to get the engine running at 1100-1200rpm??
Maybe from a cold start when your idle will be closer to that rpm??

Or get a mate/passer-by/big issue seller to rev it for you?!? :tocktock: :)

PROBLEM: Squeaks from the rear of the cabin when going over potholes, speedbumps etc.

FIX: Lock the rear seats properly back into place after a previous trip to B&Q to pick up some flat pack furniture!

I can only describe it as as a metal kinda rattle that seems to be coming from the O/S/R. So far I have removed the parcel shelf and the rattle continued, I also folded the rear seats and the rattle stopped, however I've put the rear seats back up and still no rattle - but I know 100% it will be back, it always comes back, could be tomorrow or could be the weekend lol. The rattle almost sounds like the seats aren't pushed fully back into position as I had that problem once, but the seats are back fully.

You've managed to describe exactly the same rattle I have.

It's definitely passenger side, but I can't seem to pinpoint exactly where yet. Need to do some more investigation at the weekend I think :think:

You've managed to describe exactly the same rattle I have.

It's definitely passenger side, but I can't seem to pinpoint exactly where yet. Need to do some more investigation at the weekend I think :think:
Oh really!!! I think mine's drivers side but I can't say 100% either way... do let me know if you find anything. Likewise I'll do the same. :racer:

Problem: I've been trying to 'cure' a rattle that I've been getting from the rear of my car for some time now. Thought we had it today when Audi found a little plastic guard under the car that was snapped and was hitting something, however that was replaced and still the rattle continues...

Fix: Any ideas what it could be?

Feel free to share your rattles and fixes....

check your spare wheel, had the same type of rattle and tghe spare wheel was loose

check your spare wheel, had the same type of rattle and tghe spare wheel was loose

thanks mate - 100% not the spare wheel, it's been checked numerous times, even removed and the rattle still persists.

I have two annoying one's.

first is rear view mirror vibrating when on motorway runs, fix: get a new one, simples.

second is not so easy, it comes from the seat belt tensioner on the pillar right at ear level. Drives me insane on long journeys even with the radio on i can still hear it!

Problem - Rattle and squeek over bumps from rear

Cure - Went for a drive without parcel shelf, fine! Put shelf back in, went for a drive, its returned! Turned out to be the rubbers on the parecel shelf rests squeeking, i wrapped a few turns of bandage round them, added a tidy layer of black insulation tape and now the shelf fits tight and no rattles

Problem - Huge rattle all the time coming from front of car

Cure - Sell it and buy a petrol version :)

Problem: Squeaky clutch

Fix: New thrust bearin...? Help!

Luckily enough Scott, not had any rattles with my car, even now that its lowered!

touch wood hey. ;)

I now have a new rattle coming from drivers door, sounds like something loose maybe when they resprayed the door. Fortunately it's going back in for another respray so hopefully it will be fixed then.

I have an annoying creaking sound from the passenger side of my a3, its driving me nuts lol

Cal

I had one of these - it turned out to be the plastic cover at the end of the dash - the equivalent of the fuse box cover at driver's side - removed cover - wrapped all the locating pegs/clips in cloth loom tape - never squeaked since?

I've just noticed that i've got this rattle too!! :scared2:
Although mine sounds very similar to when I had a loose exhaust/rear box slightly knocking on the bottom on my car (not this car).

Got a load of stuff in boot at the moment so will clear it out, check seats, spare wheel and see what happens. :detective2:

I've noticed mine happens more where going over uneven ground with car rocking side to side.

I've just noticed that i've got this rattle too!! :scared2:
Although mine sounds very similar to when I had a loose exhaust/rear box slightly knocking on the bottom on my car (not this car).

Got a load of stuff in boot at the moment so will clear it out, check seats, spare wheel and see what happens. :detective2:

I've noticed mine happens more where going over uneven ground with car rocking side to side.

Aaahh oh no... If you find the cause, do let me know. Mine has been quiet for the last few days but I don't doubt that it will start again. I agree that the noise happens more when going over uneven ground.

I work for a company in Essex called RGH Rubber & Plastics and we have a full range of anti rattle fabrics and felts which help prevent mouldings in the car from rattling and vibrating together. Ranges from 0.5mm thick to 3mm. We usually deal with automotive manufacturers but if you need the odd piece then I'm sure I could help you out, our website is www.rghrubber.co.uk and my email is sales@rghrubber.co.uk

Hope this helps!

Dave

Problem: Creaking sounds coming from both doors when going over humps and uneven roads

Solution: Spray Gummi Pledge (from BMW) on the rubber door seals, and hey presto! Irritating sounds gone!

I never got around to looking in this thread before now but I have the same rattle as you Scott! lol

Had it since day one. I first thought it was the sun blind on the parcel sheft but no. Then I thought the rear seats weren't locked into position but they were. Then I thought the top cover on the armrest (in the stowed position) but nope.

It's not there all the time though and I have got used to it but today it seemed a lot worse than before.

Never had one single squeak on my old A3 though.

Cal

yes as am I, it soiunds like it's coming from the glove compartment but its not. Soooooo annoying!

I never got around to looking in this thread before now but I have the same rattle as you Scott! lol

Had it since day one. I first thought it was the sun blind on the parcel sheft but no. Then I thought the rear seats weren't locked into position but they were. Then I thought the top cover on the armrest (in the stowed position) but nope.

It's not there all the time though and I have got used to it but today it seemed a lot worse than before.

Never had one single squeak on my old A3 though.

I'm so ****** off with the rattles now tbh lol. I'm actually tempted to sell the car.

I've had my drivers door resprayed again today and now there are loads of rattles and noises coming from it. Argh. Sounds like the rubber seals when I go over bumps. I think the paint is finally OK though, not 100% but very close (now I say this tomorrow it'll look a right mess). I've noticed some overspray (I think) but nothing that can't be fixed and I'm not bothered about it as you can't see it, only feel.

Still got the rattle from back of the car. Still got a stupid f*cking armrest that creaks. And I swear to God I can still hear the rattles with the music up LOUD. I hate my car. I really do. My old Vauxhall and my girlfriends '97 Fiesta aren't this bad.

However I did fall in love for a split second when I first got back in from the 1.4 Golf courtesy car. My car felt so quick, now I'm used to it again.

Armrest CURED - see here

Door seals CURED thanks to BMW - go to BMW parts and ask for "the stuff for door seals" they'll know what it is. I think it's around £28/29, £25 with trade(??) discount which they gave me. Expensive but it works!

Still have a slight rattle from drivers door so the door card is coming off tomorrow...

Hi,

This a very useful thread even though ive only had following two problems :

1. Creaky armrest and
2. Squeak noise from drivers side door

Solution:

1. The armrest only use to make noise when i use rest my elbow / arm on it. Went to hobbycraft bought a black sticky felt and used on the inside of armrest as shown below

090913_164516.jpg

2. I searched the ASN forum and found an easy cure and yes its absolutely free . Look at the following thread (Big Thanks To Khalil)

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=59555&highlight=crayon

Sal

yes as am I, it soiunds like it's coming from the glove compartment but its not. Soooooo annoying!

Yeah, I have this too. Creaking plastic sound, there pretty much all the time. Took it to Audi and they said they'll fit a whole new surround under warranty!! lol

Thought that solution was a bit OTT, but since they are changing the turbo anyway.

Oh really!!! I think mine's drivers side but I can't say 100% either way... do let me know if you find anything. Likewise I'll do the same. :racer:
I have the exact same scenario and it also rattles when going side to side. It goes away when someone big sits back their and then returns a few days later. I'm taking out the back seats and lookin inside. Its not the seat lock, nor the rear cover or the seat belt or the door seal. It's under the seat!!!!!!!!!!!!