Post one tip you have been given by someone in the trade.

paul_r

Reaction score
In my last few MOT's i have had brake caliper sticking issues. I asked my local mechanic about this. His reply.

"Every now and then, find a bit of quiet road, speed up to 60 mph (ish) and slam the brakes on. Do this a few times"

He reckons that people using their gears to slow down, and a general steadiness in modern driving is leading to more and more calipers seizing.

progress.gif

dont eat yellow snow

When washing your hands after working on the car, put a spoon full of sugar in the handwash, works a treat to clean your hands leaving them all fairy soft!!! :)

One that I was told the other week and this maybe common knowledge but I never knew this...

When drilling holes and using raw plugs, the hole that is at the end of the pack holding all the plugs together is the right size hole for the drill bit needed...

Never knew this, always used to put the plug and the bit together and look by eye, lol

I dont quite know what the hell that's got to do with the motor trade though !

One that I was told the other week and this maybe common knowledge but I never knew this...

When drilling holes and using raw plugs, the hole that is at the end of the pack holding all the plugs together is the right size hole for the drill bit needed...

Never knew this, always used to put the plug and the bit together and look by eye, lol

Haha, never realised that either... thanks alot

In my last few MOT's i have had brake caliper sticking issues. I asked my local mechanic about this. His reply.

"Every now and then, find a bit of quiet road, speed up to 60 mph (ish) and slam the brakes on. Do this a few times"

He reckons that people using their gears to slow down, and a general steadiness in modern driving is leading to more and more calipers seizing.

progress.gif

worth noting that you should never slow to a standstill when doing this only to about 10mph otherwise you risk burning the pads or warping the discs!

I'd also not "SLAM" them on either, you want to brake firmly but progressivley as you dont want to lock the wheels up. Also a good idea to have a long drive afterwards with minimal braking to cool them down.