Post CAT Lambda - Socket Size?

Ian W

Reaction score
I need to remove my post cat lambda from my factory cat in preparation for fitting a 3" system. Can anyone confirm the size of socket I need?

Thanks

Lambda's are 22mm... a normal socket won't work for what will be obvious reasons... I normally use a 22mm spanner but you can get a special socket designed to remove lambda sensors (google lambda socket)...

Just be aware that lambda sensors tend to be very corroded in and its worth spending a few days leading up to its removal spraying it in WD40...

tbh if you are fitting a 3" (decat assumedly) system you would be better off just unplugging the sensor and leaving it off altogether... just get it coded out in the map...

I would also leave trying to remove the sensor until you have got the exhaust out if you still plan to reuse it as it will be easier to remove off the car

<tuffty/>

Lambda's are 22mm... a normal socket won't work for what will be obvious reasons... I normally use a 22mm spanner but you can get a special socket designed to remove lambda sensors (google lambda socket)...

Just be aware that lambda sensors tend to be very corroded in and its worth spending a few days leading up to its removal spraying it in WD40...

tbh if you are fitting a 3" (decat assumedly) system you would be better off just unplugging the sensor and leaving it off altogether... just get it coded out in the map...

I would also leave trying to remove the sensor until you have got the exhaust out if you still plan to reuse it as it will be easier to remove off the car

<tuffty/>

Thanks for the reply, I do intend to buy a lambda socket, attacked it with an adjustable spanner the other day and it wouldn't budge, i've been soaking in plus gas for the last few days so hopefully, with a bit of leverage and a proper socket, it will release!

I'm actually getting a sports cat with the system, not a fan of messing about come MOT time and I don't really care about the benefits of decatting. I'm only going for a 3" system as it already has a very poorly fitting one that is knocking on the prop and everything I have read tells me refitting the original downpipe is an absolute pig, plus I can sell my factory cat which is already off the car which will pretty much cover the cost a Pipewerx with cat.

If you have a CAT anyway removing the post cat probe won't affect the MOT regardless as its primary use is to monitor the effectiveness of the cat and warn if its efficiency is lacking (which a lot of sports cats can trigger anyway)

They are a pain to remove though... sometimes heat helps too (ironically)

<tuffty/>

Car is now booked in to get the exhaust sorted, the current system is a 3" one but it knocks a bit, has a decat and in my eyes, isn't the best workman ship I have seen as it all hangs quite low.

The initial plan was to refit a standard system but looking at the state of the downpipe and cat, plus the need for a cat to backbox section making up I decided that the time, effort and cost involved didn't make sense to fit 20 year old exhaust components.

Decided to bite the bullet and go with a 3" Pipewerx and sports cat, i'm retaining my Miltek backbox. Booked in for August so a bit of a wait but i'm sure it will be worth it.

Car is now booked in to get the exhaust sorted, the current system is a 3" one but it knocks a bit, has a decat and in my eyes, isn't the best workman ship I have seen as it all hangs quite low.

The initial plan was to refit a standard system but looking at the state of the downpipe and cat, plus the need for a cat to backbox section making up I decided that the time, effort and cost involved didn't make sense to fit 20 year old exhaust components.

Decided to bite the bullet and go with a 3" Pipewerx and sports cat, i'm retaining my Miltek backbox. Booked in for August so a bit of a wait but i'm sure it will be worth it.
I have a pipewerx dp & dc with a miltek system and its knocks....not sure how to stop it TBH

Crikey the, whole reason I decided to go with the Pipewerx was the assumption that it didn't knock.
That was my understanding too but that doesn't appear to be the case. Now I'm not sure if I need shift the engine about to stop it, I haven't had a good read up yet. All I know is its extremely tight for space in this area.

I've got a pipewrex downpipe and did have there sports cat but Bill made it a v band with a decat v band aswell but mine doesn't rattle on anything. It was a tight fit in there though.
More likely to be a fitment error as there is hundreds if not thousands of these downpipes out there.

Reactions: Ian W
The fitment issues / limited space is the main reason why I chose to get get Pipewerx to fit it tbh, i've done plenty of exhausts in my time and I hate them with a passion. I'm going to presume that Pipewerx have fitted a shed load of these on S3's and TT's over the years so they should have the knack and know the pitfalls :)

We'll find out in just over a month :whistle2:

Yes mate, they are only 40 minutes away so they'll have it for two days and then hopefully I will have a nice sounding, non knocking exhaust
let me know how you get on

Reactions: Ian W