Possible wheel bearing issue

Dan TheMan Welburn

Reaction score
I bought my rs4 reps for an absolute steal last summer £60 for the set needing two tyres, i then found a while later one was badly buckled so off to the scrapyard it went, now i bought a single one thinking it would be the same. When i finally fit them i noticed the single one was a slightly different design on the face the bore was different also, but i fit it anyway, i just got a spigot ring for it as it didnt feel as if it was sitting perfectly central when driving, once i fitted the ring i swapped the front for the back so i would have identical wheels on the front. I visited a tyre fitter yesterday to get the fronts balances as still didnt feel 100% and was getting a fair bit of road noise (or so it sounded) turns out the odd wheel is a wider offset and site about an inch further out then the others, could this of caused my front wheel bearing to wear badly? as the noise im hearing isnt disimilar to the droning that can be heard from a bad bearing?

Any hints or tips of things to check would be appreciated, just checked the price on the front bearings and they aint exactly cheap

cheers

the only way to check it is to jack it up and give it a good wobble to see if it has play! or go to a MOT test station and get them to check it on the ramp

you can get the bearings for about £35 - £90

if you are going to fit it yourself then give me a shout I have some top tips for ya seen as though I have done a few :)

Sounds very likely that the bearing has gone. My car came with a buckled original wheel that had been balanced to run OK. The wheel felt allright while driving for 3k miles but it caused the bearing to fail in the end. Listen out for the noise getting louder when you do a faster bend then quieter as you straighten up or silent on a bend in the other direction. I am still trying to get 4 matching perfectly round wheels on the car at the same time, but it is not easy on a budget!

Reactions: Dan TheMan Welburn
Surely 2/4 wheels would have a different offset rather than one and it will be something like 9.5J rear and 8.5J front (that's my old offset anyway), if they're all balanced and there's still road noise regardless of which wheel's fitted chances are it is a bearing but as stated to check this the car must be up in the air to notice the wobble, can do this by jacking one wheel if it's fwd but would highly recommend against it (for obvious reasons).

Not yet mate, it was dispatched on thursday from germany, going by other things ive ordered from there like my suspension arms id expect them to arrive tuesday, im still waiting on my rs4 headlining which i paid for 10 days ago,

cheers for the advice guys ill get one of me pals with a garage to put it up when they have time, sourced the bearings for 38 for a pair plus post from atp so if ones gone ill change them both when ive got the struts off doing the arms and springs