possible to fit a4 rsne to a3?

amowolves

Reaction score
hi everyone, total Audi newbie here so trying to learn fast as I've been offered an Audi a4 rsne 192 (2007) cheap which I hoped to fit in my 2011 a3 with concert and 3.5mm aux input.

am I right in thinking its a straight swap for the concert or do I need to buy a plug n play connector?

I know the faceplate needs changing but am I likely to have any other issues. Will a 2007 unit be ok for my car or should I buy a newer one.

finally any installers coders close to wolves? Thanks in advance

Ok so ive ordered the faceplate and waiting for that to arrive. managed to plug in the rnse to test and i get an error about no route guidance. the arrow on map mode does not seem to update when i'm moving around but does update when i stop and press nav info. to my current location.

could this be because its was programmed for an a4 and therefore gps gets info from kline rather than can?

think the dis also needs programming though it did show something about the nav at some point but no mp3 track names.

other than the above the mfsw seems to work and the lights on the system dim with the rest of the dash. it does not however turn off with the ignition, only manually.

can someone shed some light on above please?

Ok thought i'd update this thread in case anyone finds themselves in the same predicament.

Firstly, YES you can use an RNS-E unit out of an A4 or TT in the A3 and vice versa (and possibly others including other VAG cars like the seat exeo) aslong as you can get hold of the correct faceplate to suit the dash of the car your installing it in. I was lucky and able to pick up a 192Q RNS-E unit cheap off a mate who was selling his A4 and a brand new A3 faceplate from ebay.

The instructions on how to remove the faceplate can be found on this great guide by Mark Davis (2007):

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mark.davis17/Retrofitting an Audi A4 RNS-E.pdf

The installation of the unit itself was plug and play as my 2011 A3 came with the double din concert radio so was a straight swap. The only change I had to make was to swap the pins over for the aux input over to the 32pin connection (which I had to order form Audi). Instructions for which can be found on this other great guide:

http://www.audiforum.ca/2nd-gen-a3-...-concert-3-rns-e-retrofit-2012-audi-a3-67572/

Coding was straight forward, followed the coding instructions in the above links and managed to get everything working properly for the car straight away and even change the boot up logo ;-)

The only change I need to make is to move the gps from behind the rns-e unit to another position for a better signal as its not quite that accurate as yet.

Other than that now that I'm no longer an Audi virgin (previously merc and bmw) probably look into what other mods I can do with the vcds and maybe at some point swap out the rns-e unit for the newer model.