Possible rattle at low RPM in 2nd/3rd gear (DSG Gearbox)

dave_ph

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi all,

On my A3, I've noticed that it has a plasticy sounding rattle (quite a noticable one) when slowly accelerating away in 2nd and 3rd gear. It only occurs really around the 1000-1200rpm area then disappears and I've not noticed it in other gears.

The gearbox is over due an oil service which I am arranging, however has anyone else experienced this? I'm not sure if its the gearbox or maybe some trim under the bonnet rattling when the engine shakes a bit more at those lower RPM? I've also read that this may be caused by clutch packs or flywheel possibly?

I'll get VCDS on it later in case anything shows up, but not expecting it to be honest.

TIA :)

Dave

I've spent a bit more time seeing what circumstances bring about this rattle/vibration now which changes things slightly.

So it appears it happens in all gears but only between 1100 and 1200 RPM. It's difficult to hear after 4th gear due to road noise hence why I only thought it was in 2nd and 3rd. I don't know if it happens in reverse as I haven't got enough room at the house! I don't recall it happening in neutral either

Right found the problem. It did happen in neutral but wasn’t quite as prominent!

In case any one else has a similar issue, I found it’s the air intakes at the front of the engine bay which guide the air into the air box. The plastic doesn’t fit snug together so it vibrates at that specific rpm.

good excuse for an induction kit!