Possible M6 to RS3 thoughts and few spec questions

TMP-Audi

Reaction score
So the M6 is an immense car, probably the best I ever had, but next car I want a more suited daily driver and maybe a track hack at some future point. After the disappointment of the M2 (and this could be due to comparing it to the M6!), i think a complete change will be better for the daily - i.e. 4wd.

This combo has given me the horn:
Screenshot%202015-11-09%2022.12.46.png

Screenshot%202015-11-09%2022.13.01.png

The RS3 seems to fit the bill very well, and really impressed me on my test drive. I actually really scared the salesguy, with a few hard brakes into corners (just backing off as the ABS kicked in), then powering out trying to provoke understeer. My drive proved to me the RS3, is a near perfect road car in terms of grip, braking, power. It reminded me of the fun I used to have with my Scooby. Yes it could do with some more feel, but hey thats a common issue with eps systems. The power also felt very linear and usable, and nothing like the brute torque of the M6. I am really going to have to have an airgap when i come to swap cars lol

However, I am not that up on Audi spec any more, despite having a A3 8 years ago for wifey which we liked.

So few questions:

On the test drive, when in manual gear box mode (stick over to left, did it still kick down? It did say Manual on the DIS?
I didnt get a change to play with Individual settings, but assume I can set up the throttle, steering, gear change and mag ride, how i want?
Where is the Oil temp... !

Ok, onto the spec. Feedback welcome on this:

Comfort and sound package
Dynamic package
Door mirrors - with auto dimming function for drivers side. Electrically folding, adjustable and heated
Extended matt aluminium styling package
Extended mono.pur interior finish
High-beam assist
Inlays, Aluminium Race design
Privacy glass
Super sports seats with RS 3 embossing
Fine Nappa leather with diamond-patterned stitching and RS 3 embossing on the front seats

Now - a noticeable lack of box ticking is the tech pack or tech pack + connect. Not sure if I need this, having a read of SD nav vs tech pack on the main forum.
Also - Hill hold - how can an auto not have this as standard, does it really roll back without it?

Cheers :friends:

It doesn't roll back so no idea why you'd want hill hold + there is a push button parking brake. Dynamic pack is a must imho as the noise is biblical!

TX.

Cool no hill hold needed then.

And yeah totally agree on dynamic pack.

Are super sports worth it as well?

They look a lot better than standard imho + I specced red stitching which is a RS only option. Allegedly "better" seats are coming + ceramic brakes albeit no one knows when!

TX.

Oil temp is in the lap timer. It can be enabled with vcds to display in the DIS

I would counter the hill hold argument - it means you can come to an extended stop and just pull your foot off the brake and it will stay there indefinitely (with the engine off thanks to start/stop). Saves doing anything like pulling the handbrake, putting it in park etc... And given the price it's no great loss even if you do hate it and leave it turned off (it has a button).
It also adds the safety feature of allowing you to un-belt and open the door and it will apply the brakes (and if in Park and you have Advanced Key turn of the engine too, so no need to turn the car off when you exit normally) - I know someone who used this when he saw his Wife slip and fall carrying his child and obviously he wasn't worried about making sure the car wouldn't roll away at the precise moment in time!

Reactions: RGBARGEE
They look a lot better than standard imho + I specced red stitching which is a RS only option. Allegedly "better" seats are coming + ceramic brakes albeit no one knows when!

TX.

Thanks, i am speccing up this car more and more though!
is the red stitching an RS only option? on the S3 configurator, i could one see standard seats with leather or alcantara...

Ooo thanks - and one to be coded in. Any screenshots that you know off? Thanks

You can also have it with digital speedo on top with oil temp underneath - as I normally have the speedo screen I prefer it that way.

I just leave mine on lap timer eg displayed all the time. Oil is surprisingly slow to warm up :flushed: O/T what oil temp is ok to "give it beans"?

TX.

I would definitely take the hold assist at £90. Why wouldn't you? It's well worth it just because you can be lazy and just come to a stop and take your feet off all the pedals, and it doesn't keep applying the handbrake etc.

You will feel like a slight downgrade from the m6 if you stick with the SD NAV based on the screen res as I know BMW screens are pretty good! Although the SD NAV is genuinely well functional, it's just the screen res really.

Dynamic pack surely!! Going from the M6 noise you need something to compensate!!

The m6 noise is not really great tbh, all the current m cars don't sound great

I never ticked hill hold... Never needed it before why do i need it now?

I was looking at M6's a little while ago but i think the RS3 will be a funner car!

You can also have it with digital speedo on top with oil temp underneath - as I normally have the speedo screen I prefer it that way.

Cool, as well, although I don't like the digital speedo on the M6, so have it off.

Red stitching on the supersports is only available for the rs3

Thanks, think i do prefer the silver stiching.
I cant see that supersports are even available on the S3 though?

I would definitely take the hold assist at £90. Why wouldn't you? It's well worth it just because you can be lazy and just come to a stop and take your feet off all the pedals, and it doesn't keep applying the handbrake etc.

You will feel like a slight downgrade from the m6 if you stick with the SD NAV based on the screen res as I know BMW screens are pretty good! Although the SD NAV is genuinely well functional, it's just the screen res really.

Dynamic pack surely!! Going from the M6 noise you need something to compensate!!

The BMWs have hill hold as standard then. hmm

Yes, i defo want dynamic pack based on hearing the standard exhaust for real and the performance exhaust on vids.

yeah the M6 sounds epic, especially as it winds up and keeps going ... ;)

The m6 noise is not really great tbh, all the current m cars don't sound great

Really? well it is a bit refined, unless you use 3/4 or more throttle then the flaps open. However i have a little remote gadget, which you can press and then the flaps are open all the time. It really does sound like proper V8 then. Not AMG level, but still amazing and head turning as you drive past. I am happy to post a vid of the M6 cold start, but equally don't want this to be about the M6 :)

the M3/M4 hmm yeah possible agree - don't sound great.

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3
Is your M6 DCT? And if so, I'm guessing it behaves like the M3 where it doesn't creep forward from stationary unless you blip the throttle?
The RS3 will creep like a proper auto (despite being a double clutch box) as soon as you come off the brake. From your comment above saying BMW's have hill hold standard, I'm guessing you've got accustomed to being able to stop and not creep with your feet off the brake? The RS3 will only do this if you tick hold assist.

Also, HILL hold assist is standard and always on, it will prevent any roll back on an actual hill. Hold assist is the optional extra that is switchable and holds you still even on the flat by maintaining pressure in the braking system indefinitely with your foot off the brake (unlike HILL hold which only holds you still for a second or two so you have time to reach the throttle).

It's ****** confusing and the difference between the systems and if it's really worth it gets questioned often! If you've never experienced hold assist you probably won't miss it (although in your case if my above assumptions about DCT creep are true you might!), but once you've had it most people rate it, and it is a very cheap option.
It may be worth you asking your dealer if they have any old Auto/Stronic model with hold assist fitted so you can see for yourself with it off and on!

Anyone know how much it is to retro fit hill hold? Quite fancy it but didn't bother speccing it.

Pic of red stitching for you:

2lih0k8.jpg

TX.

Reactions: AndyB-S3 and Snake Pliskin
The BMWs have hill hold as standard then. hmm

Yes, i defo want dynamic pack based on hearing the standard exhaust for real and the performance exhaust on vids.

yeah the M6 sounds epic, especially as it winds up and keeps going ... ;)

Really? well it is a bit refined, unless you use 3/4 or more throttle then the flaps open. However i have a little remote gadget, which you can press and then the flaps are open all the time. It really does sound like proper V8 then. Not AMG level, but still amazing and head turning as you drive past. I am happy to post a vid of the M6 cold start, but equally don't want this to be about the M6 :)

the M3/M4 hmm yeah possible agree - don't sound great.

Haha get that video posted right now! We are all car enthusiasts here... or at least I am. I love a proper BMW, and I'd have one if they weren't all RWD!

Pic of red stitching for you:

2lih0k8.jpg

TX.

I know the super sports seats divide opinion but I love them.

Not only are they really supportive & comfortable but they look amazing.

Great picture !

Reactions: RYuill
Is your M6 DCT? And if so, I'm guessing it behaves like the M3 where it doesn't creep forward from stationary unless you blip the throttle?
The RS3 will creep like a proper auto (despite being a double clutch box) as soon as you come off the brake. From your comment above saying BMW's have hill hold standard, I'm guessing you've got accustomed to being able to stop and not creep with your feet off the brake? The RS3 will only do this if you tick hold assist.

Also, HILL hold assist is standard and always on, it will prevent any roll back on an actual hill. Hold assist is the optional extra that is switchable and holds you still even on the flat by maintaining pressure in the braking system indefinitely with your foot off the brake (unlike HILL hold which only holds you still for a second or two so you have time to reach the throttle).

It's ****** confusing and the difference between the systems and if it's really worth it gets questioned often! If you've never experienced hold assist you probably won't miss it (although in your case if my above assumptions about DCT creep are true you might!), but once you've had it most people rate it, and it is a very cheap option.
It may be worth you asking your dealer if they have any old Auto/Stronic model with hold assist fitted so you can see for yourself with it off and on!

Aha, ok this is very usefll. So it does have hill hold as standard and always on (thought that has to be the case with a Auto.).

Yeah my M6 is the M DCT - so yeah does not creep, you have to dab the throttle to move the car. I know understand Hold assist, and this is also on our 5 series (which is a standard creeping auto) - sounds it works the same way. You engage it, and it keeps you braked until you dab the throttle to pull away. It also starts/stop - like you said the RS3 system does. I like that alot, so thats another box ticked... thanks ;)
(While the M6 has start/stop. it doesnt work unless you keep the brake depressed, even though it wont move... bit of a pita)

Reactions: josedebardi
Haha get that video posted right now! We are all car enthusiasts here... or at least I am. I love a proper BMW, and I'd have one if they weren't all RWD!

ok, so here is a cold start and then you can hear it drop down to its lovely basy idle. Used a mates goPro - I need to buy my own to do a tunnel run before i get rid of the car next year (didnt want to risk his falling off!)

Oh and here is my fav picture - taken on the autobahn run to the 'ring.
IMG_3878.jpg

Couple pics of the car and that interior
DSC_0093.jpg

DSC_0474.jpg

Reactions: Ozmosis and DommyR
ok, so here is a cold start and then you can hear it drop down to its lovely basy idle. Used a mates goPro - I need to buy my own to do a tunnel run before i get rid of the car next year (didnt want to risk his falling off!)

Oh and here is my fav picture - taken on the autobahn run to the 'ring.
IMG_3878.jpg

Couple pics of the car and that interior
DSC_0093.jpg

DSC_0474.jpg

The car is amazing haha why are you changing ?!

The car is amazing haha why are you changing ?!

Its a ****** good question, and now I am getting closer to ordering a replacement, I am wondering that too :flushed:.

The main aim is a bit more space for my boys, as while I can use the 5 series touring, it is nice to use my car on a roadtrip. Other reason is I do fancy 4wd next, just for a change.

If the RS3 does not arrive until May/June i still have another good chunk of time with the M6, and can then sell it with 6-7 months warranty left, which should make it attractive to move on through a premium private trader (a good way not to take a bath, as main BMW dealers will want £6-7k margin, at my expense).

Apart from the RS3 i also have no idea what else to swap it for, as the M3 will be too similar and inferior to go straight too from the M6.

Its a ****** good question, and now I am getting closer to ordering a replacement, I am wondering that too :flushed:.

The main aim is a bit more space for my boys, as while I can use the 5 series touring, it is nice to use my car on a roadtrip. Other reason is I do fancy 4wd next, just for a change.

If the RS3 does not arrive until May/June i still have another good chunk of time with the M6, and can then sell it with 6-7 months warranty left, which should make it attractive to move on through a premium private trader (a good way not to take a bath, as main BMW dealers will want £6-7k margin, at my expense).

Apart from the RS3 i also have no idea what else to swap it for, as the M3 will be too similar and inferior to go straight too from the M6.

To he honest though whilst I don't think you will experience the same level of luxury you currently do in the M6, the amount of fun/driving experience you will have will be so much better. The M6 is a big and heavy car and is not as forgiving as the 4 wheel drive easy revving Rs3!

It's a good choice to swap to it !!

The RS3 will make you smile without doubt. It really is bonkers.

TX.

The M5 and m6 grand coupe are similar to the m6 but with more room. Why not consider those as a replacement?

To he honest though whilst I don't think you will experience the same level of luxury you currently do in the M6, the amount of fun/driving experience you will have will be so much better. The M6 is a big and heavy car and is not as forgiving as the 4 wheel drive easy revving Rs3!

It's a good choice to swap to it !!

Indeed, the M6 does luxury GT and fast very well. But you are right, it is hard to have fun in it. as its a harder car to drive, and with so much power, that requires serious commitment to get the fun.

However, the amount of feedback it gives can be very rewarding, both in steering and diff working. That steering feedback was missing from the RS3, but then that applies to most cars that now have electric power steering etc.

I think I felt the RS3 diff working when pushing it very hard, and that was fun.

The M6 power is brutal, and in contrast the linear RS3 felt slower i.e. less push back in seat. however, as it was damp, the M6 would have been struggling to get its power down and not kept up on the B road!

The RS3 will make you smile without doubt. It really is bonkers.

TX.

How are you guys with the sport diff - do you manage to get the inside wheels spining, when say launching from a T juntion, or any slight slides?

I've found pulling away with vigour from a t junction often gets a little skip from the inside front right as you move, but that's it, once it's done that then it's sticks.

And I got a tiny rear slide on a roundabout in the damp, I wasn't trying to so definitely not going to be hard to produce on demand.

Josie that last statement has made me a happy bunny. While your here stop enjoying the panther black and get more pics up am rattling here

Sorry, been busy the last couple of days getting to know my other new baby!
9362c6189956c11bd8012f737d22afdf.jpg

I'll do some more shots of the car soon tho, inc the interior.

Last edited:
Reactions: RMJ891, Ozmosis, 5pot and 5 others
Happy days Josie enjoy I've still got 3 and a bit months till number two arrives

Reactions: billyali86 and josedebardi
And I got a tiny rear slide on a roundabout in the damp, I wasn't trying to so definitely not going to be hard to produce on demand.

Haha, congrats, is this your first? It all changes now...

I am pretty sure on my test drive i got the inside front and maybe rear spinning slightly, before it dug in and took off. I do this a lot in the M6, i love the feeling of the Diff kicking in, and transfering power to the outside. However, in the M6 you then need to ease back on the throttle otherwise youll end up the other way, in the RS3 I just kept it nailed and was off...

Also good to hear you managed to get the rear slide going. Do you have the staggered wheel set up though?

Yes first!

As you say, you can keep your foot in no worries. And yes, I have the staggered wider fronts.

Reactions: 5pot
Congrats Jose! Also became a father for the first time 4 months ago

0adf9db4e8920fc1d464eaa04b9875f4.jpg

My 2 loves in one pic

Reactions: RGBARGEE, Ozmosis, RYuill and 2 others