Possible Injector Fault? White Smoke on IDLE

theo289

Reaction score
Hi All,

I took my car into an independent garage the other day to get two engine mounts swapped over as i was experiencing an awful lot of shaking when my car was stationary. Since replacing them, the car was left in the garage over night and in the morning the chap turned the engine on and left the car IDLE...then get a text from them saying that there was unburnt diesel coming out of the exhausts...

DPF light came on so garage put the vehicle into a forced re-generation which resolved that issue but when they swapped out the engine mounts, they suspected that one of the injectors was not working as expected so took a fuel reading of all four (image attached)..

Looks to me, and from what the garage say, injector one looks to be on the way out? Have spoken to Audi and they have said that the injectors have already been replaced on my car. Where would i stand with Audi? They want the car in for a diagnostic which is £60...

Any help is appreciated :)

Attachments

• IMG_8818.JPG.jpeg
    IMG_8818.JPG.jpeg
    303.6 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_8813.JPG-1.jpeg
    IMG_8813.JPG-1.jpeg
    248.4 KB · Views: 307
My car has been doing this lately bud, pure unburnt diesel that makes your eyes water, Not all the time but car starts to shake on idle at traffic lights a few minutes after cold start leaving work at night and I can see the smoke, it did start smoking bad at mates garage a month or so ago, it can be fine for ages then start again, Its getting the dmf and clutch done shortly and was thinking about dpf delete and remap but starting to consider getting rid if any more issues as mine had injectors replaced by audi a few months before I bought it. ****** car awesome to look at and drive, just too many other things make me wish I stayed with Ford.

I believe it is the dpf, mine does it after 10/15mins idling, but a quick thrash down the road and it clears. Having my dpf removed next week so if it stops it is that 100%, will report back to you once its mapped out.

I've had the same fault on mine had to replace all 4 injectors only 16 months after audi done the recall on the injectors, cost over £1600

Blimey! £1600 for all four? I don't know much about injectors but surely of one is faulty, only one needs replacing? Or do they need to be done as a whole?
Rather pooing this bill as I've already had to replace the inlet manifold, cambelt, water pump, and engine mounts

I believe it is the dpf, mine does it after 10/15mins idling, but a quick thrash down the road and it clears. Having my dpf removed next week so if it stops it is that 100%, will report back to you once its mapped out.
Let me know how you get on

The injectors or £318 each, one injector fell to bits and other was leaking, so it was only matter of time before the other two injectors went tits up as Audi don't fit them the way they are ment to as it takes to long.

The injectors or £318 each, one injector fell to bits and other was leaking, so it was only matter of time before the other two injectors went tits up as Audi don't fit them the way they are ment to as it takes to long.
Audi and their prices really don't fill me up with much confidence. If it's one injector I'm happy but could really do all four. Costing too much to keep on the road

Audi have just advised that for parts, labour and VAT, the prices break down to the following:
One injector - £663
All four - £1941
:(

just got off the phone to Audi UK and they confirmed that the injectors were swapped over in Feb this year so hopefully any issues with the injectors will be sorted out under warranty :) just really shocked how this has failed so soon for the injector

My bet is they won't addmitt that the injectors are fault and parts fitted under warranty don't come with usual 2 year warranty

be interested to see what they say if that is the case. the car went into an independent garage and they confirmed that injector one is on the way out

the car is shaking on idle and white smoke coming from the rear - again indicated that the injector is at fault

The same with my car, it went Audi they said the injectors were fine and it was the tamdum pump

Well Audi wanted 1500 but my local garage got the pump for 240 and few hours fitting on top

Were not sure yet, as when I had my injectors changed I just changed the pump to be on the safe side, the is going back next week to be checked to make sure its all fine.
Here's a PIC of my final bill, its makes me cry every time I look at it.
6096a5d07455067ee800fed6326a239d.jpg
b100a38473050e2f7b204936a7f97ad6.jpg

Were not sure yet, as when I had my injectors changed I just changed the pump to be on the safe side, the is going back next week to be checked to make sure its all fine.
Here's a PIC of my final bill, its makes me cry every time I look at it.
6096a5d07455067ee800fed6326a239d.jpg
b100a38473050e2f7b204936a7f97ad6.jpg

i feel your pain! so far im on cam belt, water pump, engine mounts, inlet manifold and still going :(

do you have the same symptoms as me with yours?

I don't know, but one thing I do know don't trust what they say and don't get work done off them.
Find a good Indy Audi garage to do your work.

Yeah I'm there already with that :) I'm only going back to them to hopefully get this stuff don't under warranty

white smoke/steam on idle can be EGR cooler leaking water into the engine, but obviously if it smells heavily of diesel that should rule that out.

so car came back from Audi last night - no fault found. they recommended to book the car in so that they could start stripping the engine down...minimum cost £240 and anywhere from there.....

going to just take it back to the garage which diagnosed the injector fault and see what they have to say now

just check there is no water in the air intake that's attached to the inlet manifold, if there is suspect the EGR cooler.

yes it is easy, take the engine cover off and you will see a big rubber pipe on the right (as you look at) of the engine it has a metal end and a big clip holding it in, just pull the clip out and the pipe will come out. Just look for any water drops inside the black pipe or dripping out of the intake manifold /egr/anti shudder. If there is water there could be a EGR cooler leaking. You can run it with the pipe off and turn the turbo on and off with vcds basic settings 11 to see if it's dry air or a bit wet.

there is a you tube clip with the smoke it causes somewhere, that's what made me think mine was the same, I just bypassed the water pipes with copper pipe and it was fixed . done in 15mm copper with 22mm reducer ends on

Okay so car has been in to Bath Audi, failed it MOT and diagnosed as a EGR fault. New EGR to be fitted Monday so will update on how i get on :)

okay so another update with the car. EGR was fitted to the car but supposedly there was another issue. Audi Bat have investigated it and found out that the fuel in the car is contaminated (current tank of diesel was removed, fuel linings was blown through), fuel filter was clogged up and the fuel pump needs to be swapped over. Glad that someone is actually able to diagnose what is wrong with the car but really worried with this bill now.

You wont need lube that's for sure after they have finished with you no doubt as your **** will be like a clowns pocket.

Yeah. Christmas is going to be old egr parts for everyone

Reactions: stevegrass777
Well I have the Labour to pay next week on the clutch and flywheel being changed on my car matey so between that and already buying the parts I feel the pain.

The perks of an expensive hobby. Costing more to keep it on the road than it was to buy it ;)