1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible clutch replacement price and advice

allan mc Nov 29, 2018

1. allan mc

allan mc Member

Typically as im seriously thinking of putting my S3 8L up for sale i may have felt the clutch slipping slightly when in 6th and putting my foot down

If it is a replacement clutch whats the best way forward, new clutch obviously but do i have to change the dmf aswell? Or are there other options available?

And also any idea on price bearing in mind i would have to get someone to do it for me

Always something pops up when im thinking about selling lol, anyway thanks in advance

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. Stuart B

Stuart B Well-Known Member

I was quoted 9 hours Labour.

You can get a 60 / 65 % GSF code which lowers the price from 1k to 400 quid. For clutch and dmf

Some people convert to SMF clutch kits not sure of the purpose whether for performance or price.

I reckon doing on a driveway is difficult. But are often done over a weekend.

I got rid when my clutch slave cylinder went in my S3 bit I had a few other issues too.

Best of luck

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  4. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow... Staff Member Moderator Audi S3

Standard LuK DMF and clutch is fine for mapped K04 levels of tune... a standard clutch has got you this far through your S3 ownership so will be fine for the foreseeable future...

Clutches are always subjective though as driving style can adversely affect longevity... upgraded clutches vary... not had personal experience of too many but Bill uses the same clutch setup I have on hybrid and big turbo builds which is a standard LuK DMF, standard LuK pressure cover (or sometimes a sachs upgrade on the really quick stuff) and a sachs 4 puck paddle plate...

As for cost... Assuming the DMF is ok then a standard clutch kit will set you back a couple of hundred quid... if you need a new DMF (which is likely) then add another 400 odd to that.. if you want the sachs 4 puck upgrade then its another 300 or so on top...

Labour wise you are looking at 6-8hrs... some say they can do it in 4 hours but having done a few myself I'd be concerned at how they went about doing that and the 'care' in doing so... almost everything will be air gunned in I suspect...

Also factor in a front wheel alignment as the subframe needs to be dropped to get the box out...

<tuffty/>

5. allan mc

allan mc Member

Christ this sounds like an expensive job for a car im considering to sell lol, seems if i do the clutch a standard one will do as its only had a remap and the rest of the car is standard, im probably looking around a grand to do it?

Thanks for the replys, much appreciated

6. Stuart B

Stuart B Well-Known Member

If you provide the parts yourself maybe.

I have a receipt from 2011 for a clutch replacement £386 that seems incredibly low, surely no DMF included and they either misquoted or get 20 an hour.

7. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow... Staff Member Moderator Audi S3

probably just labour to fit a customer supplied part

<tuffty/>

8. allan mc

allan mc Member

So last night on my private test track i got to have a quick test. So i was in 6th gear around 50mph put my foot down and accelerated well into boost range and it didn't slip at all? Tried it a few times and nothing but last week same test track it slipped slightly coming onto boost

When boosting last week the revs went up about 1rpm quickly but the speed of the car didn't match the way the revs were going up if that makes sense. Now to my knowledge on cars (which is very slim lol) this usually indicates a slipping clutch?

Could i have got it wrong last week?

Either way im still thinking of selling as i need an estate car

9. <tuffty/>

From what I have seen in the past sporadic clutch slip is the beginning of the end... sometimes they slip and sometimes they don't... if its slipped once then generally speaking its close to end of serviceable life...

<tuffty/>

10. allan mc

allan mc Member

Yeah i think your right, i will get a few prices and get it sorted, might keep it a bit longer and do some other jobs next year like wheel refurb couple of scratches and so forth get it mint

Not many god standard models about these days

11. badger5

badger5 www.badger5.co.uk Site Sponsor

we've got new 240mm std luk friction plates here.. Free to a good home if you cover postage

SamHendry likes this.