Possible 3rd Turbo within 6 months - Where do I stand with Audi?

JRock247

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi All,

Let me start from the beginning, last year (August) my A3 2.0TDi BKD 140 went in for a routine service, during the service Audi recommended the Turbo needed to be changed due to the whistling noises coming from it, so I reluctantly asked them to replace it with a new turbo, which they did. 5 months later, the turbo started to make the EXACT same noise, so the car when back to Audi and the turbo was replaced again. With the nice weather we had this weekend, I had the window down most of the weekend and yet again, I noticed the same noise coming from the turbo, so rang Audi on Monday and they are taking a look at it again on Monday (24th)

I cannot believe that yet again the turbo has gone, despite being used for only 2 weeks. The Turbo makes a whistling/hissing noise that can be easily heard when doing about 30mph in fourth gear through to about 42mph, then a whistle noise during gear changes. Audi confirmed the last turbo failed due to a manufacturing fault but yet again, I am having to take my car to Audi for 'possibly' a 3rd turbo in 6 months!

Where do I stand with Audi on this? It's 60mile round journey to Five Oaks Audi from my house, so not exactly a small journey, plus organising time out of work to drop/collect the car. Should I take this up with Audi Head Office UK, make a complaint and request compensation or is that going to be waste of time?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

I would contact Audi UK and say you are losing confidence in the process as you're staring down the barrel of your third turbo and the costs / inconvenience has become unacceptable. If you get it in their radar the likelihood is it will raise urgency /effort and could put you in line for some form of goodwill. I'd work out the cost in fuel / lost work days (e.g. time you've had to spend away from work dealing with or being impacted by the issue). Unless they see it in black and white it means nothing. Drop it into conversation with them, but don't go heavy on the compensation offer unless you get the sense they're fobbing you off. If you lead with it they may be less charitable in the end.

Be polite but 'very disappointed', I usually find that garners the right responses! Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Thanks for the advise/suggestions Warren_S3, great help.

I will call Audi UK and inform them of my situation (being calm, polite and VERY disappointed) and see what they say.

I will report back with my outcome encase it is of any help to anyone else in a similar situation.

Thanks again

With the 140 I'm sure I've read that the turbos are quite loud?

I assume these are free replacements due to guarantees? I would just go along with it and tie in a free turbo every year with a service with them!! hehe

i was in a similar situation with mine, i had 3 turbos put on it within the space of 6 months? so 4 different turbos in the time i had it. first of it was noisy, 2nd time it got sireny (made up word i know) again. 3rd time it was the seals that had gone. maybe o twas unlucky, but when i sold my car it made the noise but not very loud, and i came to the conclusion that they are just generally noisy turbos, everyone of my friends deisel audis have the same "whistle"

i was in a similar situation with mine, i had 3 turbos put on it within the space of 6 months? so 4 different turbos in the time i had it. first of it was noisy, 2nd time it got sireny (made up word i know) again. 3rd time it was the seals that had gone. maybe o twas unlucky, but when i sold my car it made the noise but not very loud, and i came to the conclusion that they are just generally noisy turbos, everyone of my friends deisel audis have the same "whistle"

I was just going to say that most turbo diesels I've heard are quite whistley. My other car is a Golf GT which is the same.

You want to hear my A3 with hybrid, DP, and de-cat! Too many noises!

I don't really think a turbo can be accurately assessed on its noise alone! Shaft play and oil usage are much bigger give always. Did you get a chance to see the previous turbos you've had, or even get a diagnosis from Audi?

The original K04 on my 8L S3 was cracked through the housing but still ran ok.

I understand that the diesels turbo's are a bit noisy anyway but I have owned a few diesels in the past (Passat 1.9TDi PD 2004 and A6 3.0TDi 2006) and I could barley hear the turbo's on them. When my car when in for it's service and Audi first diagnosed my turbo as faulty (only based on noise) I agreed with them as it sounded much louder than my diesel in the past, so went ahead with the work. The second time though, when they diagnosed the 2nd turbo (Quote:"Investigated into noise from turbo, traced fault to turbo charger, changed turbo, tested and all ok") it did't start making the same noises until about 6 months after it was installed and now after just over 2 weeks, it making the same noises at the same speeds and in the same gears again. So I 'assume' Audi will just change the turbo again but to me, that is not resolving the issue, if there ever was one!?

They did say the last time, they were going to send the turbo off to have it looked at at Audi head office or summit and they would let me know what the issue was but still not heard anything further about, will chase them when I see them on Monday. I think I remember him saying something about bearing issue possibly?

Could Audi have tried to fleece me for £1300 the first time and now it's back fired on them and are having to stump up new turbos for me cos of there 'hunch' the first time?

No point changing a turbo I they're not fitting a new oil feed pipe at the same time!

Speak to Audi UK & be prepared to provide evidence from VCDS logs (if you can get them). Speaking from my own experiences of dealing with them, & they're head of UK technical, if you're calm & rational they'll bend over backwards for you, trust me, I've got the £9.5k worth of Audi paid results to prove it ;)

No point changing a turbo I they're not fitting a new oil feed pipe at the same time!

Speak to Audi UK & be prepared to provide evidence from VCDS logs (if you can get them). Speaking from my own experiences of dealing with them, & they're head of UK technical, if you're calm & rational they'll bend over backwards for you, trust me, I've got the £9.5k worth of Audi paid results to prove it ;)

It's funny you should mention the oil feed pipe. I was speaking to my local mechanic and asked about the oil feed pipe and if Audi changed them when the y did the turbo first time round. At no point did Audi mention or note down anything about changing the oil feed pipes. So does that mean they are not fixing whatever is causing the turbos to go or is it just standard practice to change the oil feed pipe whenever you change a turbo?

That could be the answer. Partially blocked oil feed pipe so the turbo isn't being properly lubricated, resulting in the noise you get. I couldn't see Audi changing it when doing a turbo change as it involves dropping the sump.

But surely they should have changed the oil feed pipe when the turbo went the 2nd time, at what point 'should' they change it?

Should & have are 2 totally different things, if the oil fees pipe is partially blocked it starves the bearings of lubrication, taking into account the rotor spins at over 100,000rpm you can seen how it would give up the ghost very quickly without a proper oil feed

Reactions: Westy