Positive S5 comments

Skipraider

Reaction score
I'm currently considering moving to a B9 S5 sportback.

Pretty quiet on this forum, so as I go digging into older posts a lot of the comments on the S5 are negative - rattles, gearbox lag, soft paint etc. It would be good to hear if people actually like living with S5. I can't go and drive one due to the lockdown so I can only read what others have wrote, and watch videos. Most videos also generally show them in dynamic or manual mode, not just in comfort driving normally.

What options are considered 'a must'? So far for the must haves are virtual cockpit and B&O. Is the standard sound system any good? I currently a have harmon kardon system in mine, which I find decent enough.

Ok and welcome, Im not sure what was your previous car but the S5 B9 platform is a completely different animal from the B8 8.5.
Although both platforms are awesome, the B9 you'll enjoy a lot, its quiet but also can be loud in a sporty way, it belches, burps pops but in a performance tone/ sound way.

I found with the B9 it feels very responsive from the off and has a good level of luxury too.

Best options to are a must:

• B&O very good quality sound over standard
  • Folding mirrors
  • Matrix LED a must
  • Sweeping rear indicators
  • Lighting pack too is a good feature (colour change)
  • Virtual cockpit
  • flat bottom steering wheel

You will find a full spec is quiet hard to find (Usual Audi thing)

If need to know more I'm sure members will let you know more info.

Cheers

Thanks for the reply. I'm coming from a f31 335i - manual. I've only ever had one auto, and didn't really get on with it, that's one of the main sticking points for me. I do think I'm getting lazier in my old age though so might suit me more now.

Flat bottom steering wheel looks really good, and something I would want. What is the difference with the matrix LEDs? Does the unit look different with the lights off?

Another question... Why do some have an extra button next to the tailgate close button? Is it an optional thing, or updated?

Try to keep it short and to the point. I came from a 2017 8V S3 Saloon and Got my 2018 S5 Coupe back in March 2019.

For me, and my age, this was quite a substantial purchase and after the first few months I definitely had some regrets.

However now having had the car nearly two months and making a few changes (PCW mods exchaust, RS grill, full colour change) I absolutely love the car. Will give quick summary so far after 21 months of ownership and 18,000 miles (15k in the first year then Covid means it's barely moved since!)

- Extremely comfortable on long drives, definitely a "cheap" GT kinda car
- Great balance of performance and economy
- Gearbox can be a little slow to kick down, putting it into sport and/or manual mode fixes this
- *Touch wood* only issue I've had was the seatbelt waiter stopped working on my car. 15 min fix via software at Audi sorted this.
- Averaged 31mpg over my ownership
- Still on original tyres with about 50% left to wear per my service a month ago (15,000 miles done on them or so)
- Brake pads also only 50% worn (car is on 21,000 miles total)

Mine is quite a "low" spec version but I don't really miss anything, only thing I think I'd get in hindsight is a pan roof. Found 0 difference between Audi sound system and B&O in the A5 class (bigger difference in the A3 imo).

Matrix led are nice but I don't class them as must. The standard LEDs offer already phenomenal performance, I appreciate what the matrix offer but I don't personally class it as a must.

Virtual Cockpit and folding mirrors are the only "must have" imho. Other things are a nice extra. Personal opinion ofc.

IMG 20201024 155555

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

I'm currently considering moving to a B9 S5 sportback.

Pretty quiet on this forum, so as I go digging into older posts a lot of the comments on the S5 are negative - rattles, gearbox lag, soft paint etc. It would be good to hear if people actually like living with S5. I can't go and drive one due to the lockdown so I can only read what others have wrote, and watch videos. Most videos also generally show them in dynamic or manual mode, not just in comfort driving normally.

What options are considered 'a must'? So far for the must haves are virtual cockpit and B&O. Is the standard sound system any good? I currently a have harmon kardon system in mine, which I find decent enough.

I won’t comment on engine as I’ve gotten the devils fuel S5 sportback [B9.5)! Just love the shape .

options I’d say are a must have :
- virtual cockpit
- comfort and sound pack of you can get it (has B&O)
- extended interior lighting (multi colour)
- folding mirrors

Exceptional options if you can find the pm.l
- Drive Assist Tour (love the adaptive cruise )
- damping control
- sports diff (not sure you really notice unless you push the car to be fair , and that’s not really possible on public roads..)

The interior quality is superb .. on B9 as well as 9.5 (I came from a B9 S4). I had a 335 xdrive recently which was great , but I find the F31 interior a bit a dull by comparison .. but awesome driving .

S5 is generally Very relaxing drive and possibility of some drama / fun if you want ...

hope you find something that suits you ! Good luck ...

Last edited:
Interesting that some people say B&o is a must, and some say they can't tell the difference between the standard system. If there was no difference it gives a much wider selection of cars - I would like the pano roof, but rarer with the other options, and I've read about them creaking.

I would want the privacy glass, but that could always be added after, also the red calipers look great but if I don't get a car specc'd with them I can't see me getting them painted. I would also want to fit the rs5 grille.

Yeah the b9 interior is a step up from the f3x.

Has anyone tried the dtuk gearbox mod?

Interesting that some people say B&o is a must, and some say they can't tell the difference between the standard system. If there was no difference it gives a much wider selection of cars - I would like the pano roof, but rarer with the other options, and I've read about them creaking.

I would want the privacy glass, but that could always be added after, also the red calipers look great but if I don't get a car specc'd with them I can't see me getting them painted. I would also want to fit the rs5 grille.

Get it remapped properly rather than a DTUKbox

I didn't even know you could get proper gearbox remaps. Has anyone had one done?

I had a 70 plate A5 courtesy car the other day without the B&O system that I have in my S5 and I thought it sounded awful definitely something that I noticed. However, it may not be as bad if you hadn’t known any different, just don’t expect the sound to be top notch if you’re a huge music lover.

Luckily my car is spec’d to the rafters with options thanks to the original owner who spent a fortune.
I’ve got pan roof, sports differential, dampening control and dynamic steering, 360 camera and heads up display to name a few which you don’t see on many cars and they are all excellent options, certainly make the car feel that extra bit special.

However, when I was searching my essential list was Comfort and Sound Pack and the Light and Vision Pack. This will give you B&O sound system, Matrix Headlights (which are excellent), extended interior coloured lighting, reversing camera, virtual cockpit (must have and future proofs the car), advanced key and hill hold assist (makes driving effortless). I believe on earlier cars these options could be selected individually so you may find a car that doesn’t have these ‘packs’ chosen.

Compared to my old S3 which had a STronic dual clutch, the S5’s 8 speed single clutch does feel a little sluggish at times if driven in auto but in a way it suits the car, being a fast cruiser / sleeper. It’s smooth and fairly easy to live with. I drive in S mode and manual pretty much all the time so don’t really experience any lag. Only slightly annoying thing is mine doesn’t change into 1st until you completely stop unlike my S3 did so if you set off again at below 10 mph it’s a bit sluggish until the turbo kicks in as it keeps 2nd selected, don’t know if any other owners notice this?

Overall they are great cars and I don’t regret purchasing mine a second time around! Good luck with your search!

Last edited:
Reactions: Adam14
View attachment 214305

Looking good mate :)

But for top trumps = 39 months of ownership and on 9,600 mile :D Car was last used Sunday to take the wife to work, 4.5 mile roundtrip. I'm back to work next week so I'll be doing 7 mile per day! As a comparison I sold the S3 after 2.5 years with 17,500 mile on it.

Reactions: Bells

But for top trumps = 39 months of ownership and on 9,600 mile :D Car was last used Sunday to take the wife to work, 4.5 mile roundtrip. I'm back to work next week so I'll be doing 7 mile per day! As a comparison I sold the S3 after 2.5 years with 17,500 mile on it.
Wow I bought mine in Sept and I thought my mileage was low! I’ve only done 2000 miles in mine to date as the cars just ticked over to 17k. Did consider being without a car as I’m wfh for the foreseeable future and have use of other household members cars but it was pretty much a straight swap in terms of value from my S3 so made that my justification :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: Adam14 and S32B
Wow I bought mine in Sept and I thought my mileage was low! I’ve only done 2000 miles in mine to date as the cars just ticked over to 17k. Did consider being without a car as I’m wfh for the foreseeable future and have use of other household members cars but it was pretty much a straight swap in terms of value from my S3 so made that my justification :tearsofjoy:
Had the 3rd service done around 23rd October, done about 600 mile since then! Winter, C-19 in general and lockdowns = not getting used. Even when we can go out we go in friends cars, I'm tall so the seat is right back which makes it a 3 seater car!

I bought it originally as we used to go to Scotland at least 3 times each year walking, so wanted a big comfy car to eat the miles. But then my wife injured her leg and can't walk the distances we used to! So we've been going abroad on lazy holidays instead :) A basic little car would do me, but then I think why should I make do, at least wherever we go we go in comfort :)

Haha yes you always trump me in your low miles! To be fair if it wasn't for two round trips to Brighton (500 miles), and around 300 miles for Xmas holidays and then about 200 miles for Xmas shopping I think I'd have only done 2k miles since March :D

Certainly helps keep below my 10k per annum PCP when I'm normally doing 15k miles per year

Reactions: S32B
- Averaged 31mpg over my ownership
- Still on original tyres with about 50% left to wear per my service a month ago (15,000 miles done on them or so)
- Brake pads also only 50% worn (car is on 21,000 miles total)

What kind of driving are you doing? My average MPG is 24, my tyres lasted about 8k miles and when I went for a service a few months ago at 21k they told me my disks needed replacing soon.

Other than that I completely agree with everything you’ve said about the car

What kind of driving are you doing? My average MPG is 24, my tyres lasted about 8k miles and when I went for a service a few months ago at 21k they told me my disks needed replacing soon.

Other than that I completely agree with everything you’ve said about the car
At the moment? Nothing But normally I do a lot of miles with work so would say around 80% is motorway/carriageway driving as opposed to stop start/short journeys in town.

Don't have to try that hard to get a respectable return when doing a long journey. I'm not actively trying to get maximum MPG, just drive it sensibly

Thanks for all the replies.

I think I will look out for one with the B&O. I've wanted a sunroof for years, but my last few cars haven't had them - so I might hold out for one with the pano roof too. Has anyone with the pano had issues with it such as rattling/squeaking/leaks? Hopefully it's just a few isolated cases I read about.

Thanks for all the replies.

I think I will look out for one with the B&O. I've wanted a sunroof for years, but my last few cars haven't had them - so I might hold out for one with the pano roof too. Has anyone with the pano had issues with it such as rattling/squeaking/leaks? Hopefully it's just a few isolated cases I read about.
Had a minor issue with mine on occasion where it rattled when I had my suspension in dynamic and the road wasn’t smooth, but only very slightly (could only just hear it over the radio) and it didn’t do it constantly.

It’s been into Audi about it and they couldn’t find an issue but greased the runners and touch wood it hasn’t been playing up since, saying that I haven’t driven the car much due to lockdown etc so I’ll have to see if it’s properly fixed it.

I do like the pan roof, never had one before and always wanted one, but if I’m being honest it’s a bit of a novelty - even with the pop up wind deflector you do still get a lot of annoying wind noise at speeds over 40mph. Saying all that I imagine it will be nice in the summer, and the added light into the cabin too is nice even when it’s shut.

Last edited:
Just thought I would share this in case anyone is interested. A guy on a different forum has changed the dash speakers of the standard sound system, which apparently gives good results for little work and cost. If i see a non-B&O car come up with the rest of the spec i wanted, this could be an option:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/au...-***-audi-sound-system-eu-base-stere-3004792/

If someone would like to try it and post the results, that would be good...:wink:

I’ve sent him a message, I’ll let you know how I get on with it.

Upgraded from a highly spec'd 2016 S3 to an 2017 coupe s5 in November. Loving it so far. feels like it pulls through the gears much easier.

Must have options for me are Virtual Cockpit, pan roof(which I've had 0 issues with so far, Audi serviced it for me for free before I picked it up), ambient lighting, flat bottom and any colour leather except red, which in my opinion looks disgusting. Also the Bang and Olufsen stands toe to toe with the one I had in the S3. Had a slight rattle from one speaker on the rear parcel shelf, but there's a technical bulletin for it that they fixed for me today.

I also have the sport differential which can be fun when you're really pushing it.

Still miss the S3 sometimes just for the more responsive gearbox and DSG pops, but other than that, I don't regret my decision.

Upgraded from a highly spec'd 2016 S3 to an 2017 coupe s5 in November. Loving it so far. feels like it pulls through the gears much easier.

Must have options for me are Virtual Cockpit, pan roof(which I've had 0 issues with so far, Audi serviced it for me for free before I picked it up), ambient lighting, flat bottom and any colour leather except red, which in my opinion looks disgusting. Also the Bang and Olufsen stands toe to toe with the one I had in the S3. Had a slight rattle from one speaker on the rear parcel shelf, but there's a technical bulletin for it that they fixed for me today.

I also have the sport differential which can be fun when you're really pushing it.

Still miss the S3 sometimes just for the more responsive gearbox and DSG pops, but other than that, I don't regret my decision.
Careful what you say about red seats I’ve grown to be quite fond of mind :laughing: I think the grey ones look far worse personally, reminds me of a BMW my Auntie had in the early 2000’s haha

Honestly wasn’t sure about the red when I went for my car as black leather was always the preference. However, the price and options list was too good to turn down and I knew I wouldn’t find another like it. Was a toss up between my paintwork preference (Daytona) and a compromise on the seat colour. One bonus of having the red seats is you get some sportier red stitching on the steering wheel, centre console and door cards.

Totally agree with what you’ve said about the S3, I do miss my 17 reg one sometimes, was a great car and I loved Ara Blue paint, but out of the two the S5 wins hands down.

Reactions: V6 Quatt
Careful what you say about red seats I’ve grown to be quite fond of mind :laughing: I think the grey ones look far worse personally, reminds me of a BMW my Auntie had in the early 2000’s haha

Honestly wasn’t sure about the red when I went for my car as black leather was always the preference. However, the price and options list was too good to turn down and I knew I wouldn’t find another like it. Was a toss up between my paintwork preference (Daytona) and a compromise on the seat colour. One bonus of having the red seats is you get some sportier red stitching on the steering wheel, centre console and door cards.

Totally agree with what you’ve said about the S3, I do miss my 17 reg one sometimes, was a great car and I loved Ara Blue paint, but out of the two the S5 wins hands down.

sorry just re-read my post and it sounds so harsh ..

it's definitely hard to find all your dream options in a single car at the right price, so I feel your pain!

oh and if I was nit picking, I'd love if the s5 wheel had perforated leather like the s3 facelift.

Just thought I would share this in case anyone is interested. A guy on a different forum has changed the dash speakers of the standard sound system, which apparently gives good results for little work and cost. If i see a non-B&O car come up with the rest of the spec i wanted, this could be an option:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/au...-***-audi-sound-system-eu-base-stere-3004792/

If someone would like to try it and post the results, that would be good...:wink:

Kit arrived this morning, going to have a go fitting it later and will report back the difference.

Kit arrived this morning, going to have a go fitting it later and will report back the difference.
Very interested in this, do you need an "Audi world" account to be able to message him for the speakers?

Very interested in this, do you need an "Audi world" account to be able to message him for the speakers?

I created one just to message him initially but then he replied by email.

I can drop him a message if you like and ask if he’s happy with me private messaging people his email?

(I’m planning on creating another thread once I’ve done it as a bit of a guide/review as I don’t want to take over this one)

sorry just re-read my post and it sounds so harsh ..

it's definitely hard to find all your dream options in a single car at the right price, so I feel your pain!

oh and if I was nit picking, I'd love if the s5 wheel had perforated leather like the s3 facelift.
Nah was only joking, my girlfriend has exactly the same opinion about the red leather seats :tearsofjoy:

Agree with you on the wheel, might get my steering wheel retrimmed at some point, I’ve heard good things about Royal Steering Wheels, tempted to go with alcantara to match it elsewhere in the cabin.

Nah was only joking, my girlfriend has exactly the same opinion about the red leather seats :tearsofjoy:

Agree with you on the wheel, might get my steering wheel retrimmed at some point, I’ve heard good things about Royal Steering Wheels, tempted to go with alcantara to match it elsewhere in the cabin.
I'm looking at an ultimate customs wheel (check IG) looks very high quality, fair price and a lot more custom!

I created one just to message him initially but then he replied by email.

I can drop him a message if you like and ask if he’s happy with me private messaging people his email?

(I’m planning on creating another thread once I’ve done it as a bit of a guide/review as I don’t want to take over this one)
Yes please if you don't mind mate, will likely hold fire until you have made a thread. Cheers

That was quick, be interesting to see what you think of them.

Red is my first preference for the seats, I think they look great, although I would take one of the other colours if the rest of the car was the spec I wanted.

Reactions: Jonnie and Bells
That was quick, be interesting to see what you think of them.

Red is my first preference for the seats, I think they look great, although I would take one of the other colours if the rest of the car was the spec I wanted.

Yeah I was amazed too, got the notification at 4:30pm is had been sent and at 8:40am the next day the postman arrived.

I managed to fit it last night and I’m honestly blown away by the difference. I didn’t think the change would be as noticeable as it is

Good to hear they sound decent. Is it just the 3 dashboard speakers that you changed? How much did they set you back?

Hello All

Regarding the upgrade to the Audi Sound System Speakers, I have done the same to my B9 A4, as it is a similar platform to the A5; I have posted about this in the B9 A4 forum:

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/audi-sound-system-speaker-upgrade.423230/

Essentially, Bruce will supply the speakers for you, which will be fitted with a crossover and the connector; you simply plug and play. In terms of the difference, it is night and day; it may also be something to consider if the B&O option is not available on the car you want.

Good to hear they sound decent. Is it just the 3 dashboard speakers that you changed? How much did they set you back?

Yeah it was just the 3 dash speakers so far but I’ll be upgrading the rest at a later date.

I’m not sure if the price fluctuates based on availability or shipping costs but I paid £175.

Agree mine are red too!!!!!!!!!!!!!