porsche breaks best price?

fat_ragan

Reaction score
im sure i saw a porsche brake conversion on a web site for £750 have i made this up somewhere :tocktock: or not, cos im sure i had seen it but i had only had my s3 a week or so and it was the first time id heard of it but they seen to be alot more everywhere else and i cant find the origional page now!!! :puke2: argh any ideas anyone??#

ChriS3 said:
Awesome do the Porsche Neuspeed brake kit for £795. Not big reds, but decent enough.

I spoke to awesome about these when I was choosing my conversion. They didn't even rate them and pretty much said not to buy them but to go for the GT JNR Kit.

concoursneil said:
Breaks...... mmm going on holiday are you:)

I think the word your looking for is BRAKE:icon_thumright:

Thought he was breaking a Porsche for parts then :(

Did they say why?

They are Boxster front Calipers and MORE than capable of doing the job....

Thats what I'd imagine, it HAS to be margins.

Plus repeated business for discs and pads with the Tarox kit.

ChriS3 said:
Because they make more profit out of Tarox maybe????

But in that case why would they persuade their customers to buy Brembo?

They just said that they weren't that effective.

My motor is off there on Thursday for FSD's and H&R roll bars - Initially they were about £200 more expensive but after doing some shopping around and gave them pricing they became about £30 cheaper so I'm pleased.

Porsche Boxster 4 pots arent that effective?

Well they are lying then arent they.

ChriS3 said:
Awesome do the Porsche Neuspeed brake kit for £795. Not big reds, but decent enough.

Big reds.
Why this facination with Big Reds?

Big Reds are a two piece calliper bolted together...which means they weigh more, and flex more than the later style Monoblock callipers.
Hence why Porsche dropped the two piece Big Reds and went to Monoblock callipers on their turbo and most powerful cars (in fact all of their curent cars)

You don't need - or indeed want - Big Reds...it's just an image thing.
Monoblocks are better and lighter...but they aren't called 'Big Reds' so they must be inferior, eh?

Aky said:
I spoke to awesome about these when I was choosing my conversion. They didn't even rate them and pretty much said not to buy them but to go for the GT JNR Kit.

It is possible that ECS use either callipers with the wrong piston orientation (leading edge etc...from the front of a 996/Boxster used the wrong way up on a VAG car) or with too large pistons to give decent feel...
So potentially, they are correct...maybe the ECS conversion lacks pedal feel or even wear rates on the pads, whereas the Brembo GT kit is a more suitable conversion?

Ess, that is correct, I checked and Neuspeed/ECS are using the Boxster fronts, so they exchange placement of the nipples/return lines for brake fluid and mount them the other way up.

Ess_Three said:
Big reds.
Why this facination with Big Reds?

Big Reds are a two piece calliper bolted together...which means they weigh more, and flex more than the later style Monoblock callipers.
Hence why Porsche dropped the two piece Big Reds and went to Monoblock callipers on their turbo and most powerful cars (in fact all of their curent cars)

You don't need - or indeed want - Big Reds...it's just an image thing.
Monoblocks are better and lighter...but they aren't called 'Big Reds' so they must be inferior, eh?

No fascination with big reds at all. I've always said the Brembo Jnr kits is just as good, but when people hark on about Porsche brakes they're usually thinking about the big reds rather than any other calipers.

It is possible that ECS use either callipers with the wrong piston orientation

Why the issue with ECS? They hadn't even been mentioned till then.

ECS do the same kit as Neuspeed? (They are the only two that do, so maybe thats why it was mentioned).

were the big reds fitted to RS2 Audi ? if so surely they have got to be of a good standard to stop one of them......

Dubplate said:
were the big reds fitted to RS2 Audi ? if so surely they have got to be of a good standard to stop one of them......

The RS2 had the correct sized master cylinder for its brakes. So yes, they were good enough.

The Big Reds and the Brembo Jnr have very similar sized pistons so they should perform about the same when braking. The Jnr's have less bulk surrounding the pistons so they're lighter, and therefore better overall IMO.

ChriS3 said:
No fascination with big reds at all. I've always said the Brembo Jnr kits is just as good, but when people hark on about Porsche brakes they're usually thinking about the big reds rather than any other calipers.

Not aimed at you directly, dear boy.
I know yours are monoblocks.

But many seem to think Big Reds are the be all and end all...so you must have Big Reds and 2 pc discs...just like current 911 turbos do. Not.

Big Reds were top of the line back in 1995. That was then.
Now, monoblocks are lighter and stiffer...and hence better.
Which is why the 996/997 turbos have them fitted as standard...as you well know.
Just trying to clear this up for those who may not know.

Why the issue with ECS? They hadn't even been mentioned till then.

I assumed that it was ECS we were speaking about...but it's not, is it?
It'll be Neuspeed. Doh!
No matter...the same issues apply to both.

Dubplate said:

True...but that was over 10 years ago.
Things move on.

In order to give suspension a break (no pun intended) lighter brakes are more suitable...as are stiffer one piece callipers.

Stiffer callipers = more repeatable stopping, lighter, less maintenance and probably cheaper too.

Less unsprung weight = easier to get the suspension to work effectively, better handling etc.

If a monoblock calliper is good enough for a 911 GT2/3/turbo, I'm damn sure it's good enough for an S3!
Porsche are proud of their cars being some of the best ever in terms of braking efficiency...they wouldn't risk that reputation by fitting brakes that were deemed to be a backwards step.

Ess_Three said:
Not aimed at you directly, dear boy.

Apologies, stressed here at work and spoiling for a good 'debate'.

One question though, I thought Brembo made nearly all calipers for Porsche? So Awesome saying that the Neuspeed/Porsche Brembos aren't as good as the Brembo originals seems odd. Possibly due to associated disc size, but I would have thought that the calipers are still good? Certainly better than standard and a small price to pay for a little porka bling.

exactly what I thought - My sister's boyfriend has red calipers on his Boxster S -

Is the neuspeed an old product from the MK1 Boxster?

Brembo do indeed make all Porsche callipers.

I'm merely saying that a set designed for the orentation of the car, the correct master cylinder size etc will be better suited than simply taking whatever is available cheap - or what looks big and impressive - and making them physically fit.

The finish and quality will be just as good...but the piston sizing etc is very much a science, not a 'suck it and see' excercise in bolting on what is physically going to fit.

I'm also not saying that Porsche callipers aren't suitable.
It's just that some are more suitable than others.

And 6 pot Cayenne callipers are NOT suitable!
But, hey...they look great behind a big set of bling 19" wheels, eh? (disclaimer: not aimed at anyone in particular)

thanks guys any one know the best place to price up brembos then?

Ess_Three said:
And 6 pot Cayenne callipers are NOT suitable!
But, hey...they look great behind a big set of bling 19" wheels, eh? (disclaimer: not aimed at anyone in particular)

You won't like my latest purchase then :( 8-pots with 365mm discs. Should look mighty blingtastic behind the 19's.

Tarox?

If so, I hope you intend leaving it garaged over the salty weather period.

I'm sure those heavy old lumps of 365mm iron will really help the handling of your car...which was so obviously lacking those additional 8 pots of stopping power.

It all adds up... *sigh*