Porsche brake calipers

RB S3

Reaction score
I realise this has been covered before, and I have read the brake upgrade threads, but just wanted some advice on these calipers.
Do these fit onto standard 312 disc's without adapters.
And if wanted to fit to 323 discs, what would be needed?
Any advice welcome
Screenshot 2016 03 13 20 44 52

Or is this kit a straight fit and probably easiest option?
Need to paint yellow anyway as red car so not bothered about the dodgy paint.
Advice??

Yea think he'd take £350 but still alot.
Not many other options tho

Ok so £300 all in except for delivery.
Buy em?

They still seem a bit expensive will he not take £250, they look like they will need new seals and refurb, you will need new hoses if they haven't come off an s3 also

I mentioned i thought they needed a refurbishment but he said just need painting and that all seals etc arw good.
But then cant really trust someones word on ebay really.

Just be careful with those Porsche calipers they look like rear Boxster calipers and I don't think they have enough clamping force resulting in seriously bad breaking "school fees paid" haha.. The Seat ones are definitely the way to go even though they are expensive

Pretty sure they're fronts.
Have checked the part no

Would the porsche calipers fit straight onto standard discs?
What would be needed to fit to lcr discs?

lCR Bremmbos bolt straight on, chuck the 312 disks and fit LCR 323 disks.
Buy some braided lines off Badger5 and bin the standard flexis. The braided lines are direct fit.
Job done. Thats what Ive done and to me they seem to be good brakes.

Ok thanks that clears it up.
I will be buying new discs anyway so i just need the calipers and carriers yea?

Yeah man the caliper carriers are bolted directly to the caliper itself. So all you need to do is bolt them on to the hub carrier with the 2 18mm bolts.
Its literally these 2 bolts and swopping the flexis. Easy peasy

Tarox setup was on my last s3
Didn't realise how much they were worth at the time tbh!

The boxster calipers need £100 carrier adapters and then its £55 for the braided hoses on 312mm discs.
Using standard porsch pads they leave an unswept area of disc in the middle.

The cupra R calipers are ultimately cheaper, will work better and uses a bigger 323mm disc. You can upgrade to more expensive 2 piece 330mm discs later if you wish also

Reactions: Alex C
Ok so given up on the LCR brembo kits as cheapest i can find is £350 then need new discs anyway so have decided to go the porsche route and use new lcr discs with adapters /brackets.
So out of these two calipers, which is best?
Screenshot 2016 03 15 21 42 00
Screenshot 2016 03 15 21 42 28

Sorry but I don't see how you think Porsche caliper kit works out cheaper.

The available porsche carrier adapters are £100 for the pair and are for 312mm disc or the very expensive r32 334mm disc.
http://www.creationsmotorsport.com/products-by-category.php?main=5&catID=8

Then you need hoses £50.
+ pads and discs.

Cupra R calipers really are the most cost effective solution, replacement parts are cheaper too and you get the better 323mm discs.

Reactions: Alex C
Sorry but I don't see how you think Porsche caliper kit works out cheaper.

The available porsche carrier adapters are £100 for the pair and are for 312mm disc or the very expensive r32 334mm disc.
http://www.creationsmotorsport.com/products-by-category.php?main=5&catID=8

Then you need hoses £50.
+ pads and discs.

Cupra R calipers really are the most cost effective solution, replacement parts are cheaper too and you get the better 323mm discs.

If they are more expensive its not by much.
Needed new discs anyway and the porsche can be used with LCR discs so £100 for the discs, £250 for calipers.
I suppose I decided if i was buying a LCR set i would want new pads anyway for peace of mind.
So that's the route i want to go....
So are the boxter 986.351.421 considered the best of the two?

Personally I would go for the tried and tested route of LCR setup... this is designed to fit and supplies are plentiful and relatively inexpensive...

You may be paying a little more but it works and the one thing you want with brakes is for them to work...

<tuffty/>

Many confusions above!

Right, a quick summary to make it easy.

Forget ALL and ANY rear calipers. they are all dangerous. 352 in a porsche part number denotes a rear. 351 is a front.

Forget anything that uses a 312mm disc - they're useless and too small.

Forget regular boxster fronts. They will only take a 25mm wide disc, which limits you to 312's, they leave a nasty unswept area, and are generally fairly ****.

If you want porsche brakes, you have 3 options.

Option 1:

996 fronts. These are part numbers 996.351.425 & 996.351.426. 36 and 40mm pistons. the same as LCR brembos. Found on 996 c2 / C4, and also Boxster S fronts. They are radial mount and will mount up with creation motorsport carriers to a 330x28 alfa brera disc which you'll need to redrill to 5x100 PCD.

They will also work on a 323mm LCR disc, but you'll need to machine 3.5mm off the carrier face due to the radial difference. These are probably the best option in terms of performance / weight / running costs. Pads are cheap, as are discs. they are also ideally suited to the 8L master cylinder.

Option 2:

996 Turbo / C4S fronts. 38 and 42mm pistons. These are part numbers 996 351 429 & 996 351 430. These are also radial mount, and carriers are available to mount them using a 334 x 32 R32 disc. Performance wise these are pretty epic, but pads are more expensive, and discs again considerably more so, and they are a fair bit heavier than the above. These are slightly larger hydraulicly than the regular 996 fronts, but not enough to upset pedal travel. Well suited to a mega power monster like Staceys car.

Option 3:

18Z 6 pots. I don't know the part numbers for these, as they're not something I'd ever entertain myself. They're a brilliant caliper, but poorly suited to the 8l 23.8mm master cylinder and will give a long pedal travel. they can be mounted up with R32 discs, or redrilled Mercedes ML 350mm discs with the right carriers. I wouldn't bother though. This opinion will upset others (Sorry Sam xxx)

Stopping wise, LCR brembos with the same pads are just as good as the 996 fronts, but the LCR do use a fairly small and slimline pad to aid wheel clearence. This means they're wheel friendly in fitment terms, but more expensive to run than a 996 front as the pads start off quite thin from new so you get less lifespan from them. Not a huge issue on a road car, but more of an issue when tracking it.

To do it properly, the LCR setup WILL still be the cheapest. the reason the porsche calipers appear so cheap at the moment is because you're looking at all the crap ones. expect to pay ~£400 for a set of 996 fronts worth using.

Hopefully the above is of some help :) I thought I'd reply here rather than to your PM, as others may benefit when searching in future

:racer:

Reactions: Julian smith, VAG-Slag, SamHendry and 2 others
Thanks that helps.
Tbh the reason im still debating is because there's so many threads recommending different setups.
For example i have read the "definitive brake thread", but that starts by recommending porsche rear calipers, and i realise LCR may be the safest option, but kinda want the porsche calipers as im hoping that not only will they perform as good if not hopefully better, but will also look really good.
Does DaveB still provide kits to use with porsche calipers?

Please don’t take this as over confidence on my part, but bare in mind that much of the info in the ‘definitive brake thread’ came from a post on UKMKIVS, started almost 10 years ago. If you read anything that contradicts my post above, I’d strongly suggest ignoring it. I’ve been through SO many different brake setups on the A3, more than 10 different combinations of caliper / disc setups, and used them all on road and on track heavily. It’s an area I am VERY passionate about, simply because most people get it so wrong.

I’m still on the quest for the perfect brake setup for mine, and I still don’t think I’m there yet, but my requirements for front brakes seem to be a fair bit more demanding than most :laugh:

DaveB is still very much active in the vag brake scene, now running VAGBREMTECHNIC - http://vagbremtechnic.com/

Please don’t take this as over confidence on my part, but bare in mind that much of the info in the ‘definitive brake thread’ came from a post on UKMKIVS, started almost 10 years ago. If you read anything that contradicts my post above, I’d strongly suggest ignoring it. I’ve been through SO many different brake setups on the A3, more than 10 different combinations of caliper / disc setups, and used them all on road and on track heavily. It’s an area I am VERY passionate about, simply because most people get it so wrong.

I’m still on the quest for the perfect brake setup for mine, and I still don’t think I’m there yet, but my requirements for front brakes seem to be a fair bit more demanding than most :laugh:

DaveB is still very much active in the vag brake scene, now running VAGBREMTECHNIC - http://vagbremtechnic.com/

Prawn, so would you not recommended the 996 rears as a decent upgrade for the s3? Only because I've recently purchased some pretty cheap in good condition, just needs a paint. Tried pm'ing DaveB for the carriers n discs but not getting a response. I can easily clean them up n sell them for a profit if something else would be better.

I'm sorry to beak it to you Alex, but I'd absolutely categorically insist that you do not fit them! they're considerably worse than stock and should never be entertained I'm afraid.

Clean them up and punt them on for a bit more than you paid, spend the money on some beer :beermug:, then sit down in front of the computer and get yourself on ebay to find some 996 fronts or LCR brakes.

In the brake thread linked above it states any rear calipers are a downgrade due to the smaller piston sizes never mind the unswept area of disc.

Prawn tried boxster front calipers (correct piston sizes) on 312mm discs at one point and found it to be very lacking.

I never actually ran boxster fronts Ant. Back in the day (2009) In boxster rears for a VERY short time, about 3 days, before realising that they were dangerous and removing them straight away.

I've had the 'pleasure' of driving several cars with boxster fronts on 312's, and found them to be a very mild upgrade over 312's due to the better caliper design, but for what they cost I think they were wholly disappointing and not a patch on a good set of LCR brembos. the 312x25mm disc is really the limitation.

I ran 996 fronts on my old daily with alfa 330mm discs, which did many laps of the ring and 40k road miles a year, and I absolutely LOVED them.

More bling than the LCR setup for those that like to show off, and functionally I could not fault them at all. I ran stock textar pads for road use, and Pagid RS19 for track, and never wanted for anything more.

If I were building an A3/S3 for road use now, it'd be 996 fronts every time.

I'm sorry to beak it to you Alex, but I'd absolutely categorically insist that you do not fit them! they're considerably worse than stock and should never be entertained I'm afraid.

Clean them up and punt them on for a bit more than you paid, spend the money on some beer :beermug:, then sit down in front of the computer and get yourself on ebay to find some 996 fronts or LCR brakes.

Ok, thanks for clarifying mate. Egay they will go

I think I will go the 996 fronts route. Does it matter if they're boxsters or not? Also, what suitable discs n carriers are needed? Alfa 330mm?

Last edited:
Now he tells me...

Oi :laugh:

You got a cracking deal on a properly great set of LCR's, plus you're over there in foreign land where unusual parts are a complete ball ache to aquire.

Off the shelf parts are better for you, and 996 fronts to the same spec would cost ~£1k.

Quit your whining :laugh:

Reactions: Erikn89nl
Prawn I have 580 s3, tried the cayenne 18z and yes have long pedal travel, where can I get the adapters to run option 2 996s front calipers please

I had the 18z set up for a while and were ok but did get sick of the long pedal swapped to the 996 turbo fronts and r32 discs and have a shorter sharper pedal and proper braking now enough for 616 badger5 bhp

I asked @Prawn some advice about a set and he said 996 turbo fronts and it’s a epic set up probably best you can get without going for a ap set up like prawns