Porsche 911

Randomjim

Reaction score
Just had to get this one in there, uber cool in my books :hubbahubba:
993turboS-1.jpg

It's a cool car but I'd never buy one. I got to drive a 996 at a supercar experience and it was great fun, but they're well-known to be tricky on the limit because of that classic rear-engine layout.

Plus, one of our senior managers at work runs a 2003 C4S cabrio and has had a couple of problems with it - a blown amp (£600 to replace) and the rear spoiler doesn't rise up at speed anymore. For £54k, you'd hope for more ...

benw123 said:
It's a cool car but I'd never buy one. I got to drive a 996 at a supercar experience and it was great fun, but they're well-known to be tricky on the limit because of that classic rear-engine layout.

Well I'm sorry to have to say, but I think that's crap.
The 996 isn't any more tricky on the limit than any RWD car..the rear suspension has come a long way in 40 years you know!

In any RWD high performance car, if you drive like a cown, you crash. The 911 is no different.

Besides...you can get a Carrera 4 if you really want to drive at silly speeds in the wet.

My C4S is easily the fastest car I've ever been in point to point...in all weathers.
You can drive it hard in pouring rain and not give the rear end a second thought. The stability management is the best I've ever used too...there is no ned to ever turn it off.

Plus, one of our senior managers at work runs a 2003 C4S cabrio and has had a couple of problems with it - a blown amp (£600 to replace) and the rear spoiler doesn't rise up at speed anymore. For £54k, you'd hope for more ...

Same as you'd expect £40k + M3s not to spin their main bearings...
Or £40K S4s to split turbo manifolds...

Porsche don't make the Amps or the spoiler lift motors, lets remember that.

If you are concerned, you wouldn't run a 996 without an extended warranty - I certainly won't.
It's cheap insurance.

Rawr well said :iagree:

Ive been around a fair few tracks in porsche's and when driven right there unbeatable. I might be biased because my dad worked for them for 10 years but i love em.

My dream car (suprise suprise) they are a lot less likely to kill you these days though and very reliable I'd have one over the V8 Vantage, XKR etc and other "rivals"as an everyday car.

EDIT: I voted cool not sub zero as the Carrera still hasnt recovered from the image it had in the 80's...but if your talking about any of the models that start with the letters GT... now thats another story :cool:

Carrera's are cool cars!
That Carrera is a Turbo S limited edition in the 993 model so its kinda lairy and i'm not into that! But for a supercar is on the ball! I'd own one in a heart beat! My uncle has the 997 C4S and its just awesom! Things dont need to be lairy to be sweet!

Ess_Three said:
Well I'm sorry to have to say, but I think that's crap.
The 996 isn't any more tricky on the limit than any RWD car..the rear suspension has come a long way in 40 years you know!

In any RWD high performance car, if you drive like a cown, you crash. The 911 is no different.

Besides...you can get a Carrera 4 if you really want to drive at silly speeds in the wet.

My C4S is easily the fastest car I've ever been in point to point...in all weathers.
You can drive it hard in pouring rain and not give the rear end a second thought. The stability management is the best I've ever used too...there is no ned to ever turn it off.
RWD isn't the problem - it's the rear-engined layout (i.e. behind the rear axle) that can catch out the unwary. True, it doesn't apply so much to the 996 and 997, but previous models were renowned for it. However, this doesn't make them any less exciting to drive!

Part of the reason why i love the 911 so much is because the germans are so stubborn. They put the engine in the wrong place but then they engineer it to work out for the better.

Also if you've ever seen the size of the tyres on the back of a 911 which also has the weight of the engine on them. You've gotta be going some to lose control, or driving like an idiot.

Randomjim said:
Part of the reason why i love the 911 so much is because the germans are so stubborn. They put the engine in the wrong place but then they engineer it to work out for the better.

But it's not in the wrong place for maximum traction... :icon_thumright:

Also if you've ever seen the size of the tyres on the back of a 911 which also has the weight of the engine on them. You've gotta be going some to lose control, or driving like an idiot.

295/30/18s on mine, on an 11" wheel.
Great for traction...less good for lift off oversteer, if ever you are so stupid.

benw123 said:
RWD isn't the problem - it's the rear-engined layout (i.e. behind the rear axle) that can catch out the unwary. True, it doesn't apply so much to the 996 and 997, but previous models were renowned for it. However, this doesn't make them any less exciting to drive!

In all honesty, the pre-964 cars were wild.
The 964 and 993 less so...with the 996/997 being virtually impossible to do silly things in, as long as you are a competent driver who knows the basics.

Lift off midway through a corner and physics take over...but that's common to many cars - FWD included.

At the end of the day, Porsche didn'r build early 911s for those lacking in driving ability...the same goes for the current electronic-safety-net lacking cars (GT3 etc). If you can't handle one...buy something else.

The rest of the range are safe as houses nowadays.

I love the lift off oversteer :yum: ever since fitting my eibach anti roll bar the back end comes out after a sharp lift off the throttle.

I drove my first 993 turbo s today..........I want one enough said
Will post some pics of it...

I know a guy who has 6 of these TUrbo S's and collects them...what a waist.

Only porsche which I have driven and can gladly say was pleased to get out of and give the key back was a GT2...Widow maker with bells on it...!!

That should only be taken out in the summer on very dry days..not a town car at all.....good they are lively

If your after a porsche 996 C4S all day every day...!! By far the best alround car they make...saving for one.

Ess_Three said:
In all honesty, the pre-964 cars were wild.
The 964 and 993 less so...with the 996/997 being virtually impossible to do silly things in, as long as you are a competent driver who knows the basics.

Lift off midway through a corner and physics take over...but that's common to many cars - FWD included.

At the end of the day, Porsche didn'r build early 911s for those lacking in driving ability...the same goes for the current electronic-safety-net lacking cars (GT3 etc). If you can't handle one...buy something else.

The rest of the range are safe as houses nowadays.

My 78' SC was a handfull especially in the wet when it took major concentration but you've just got to learn how to drive them properly which takes time. It took me about 6 months to build enough confidence to drive into corners flat out but you just can't beat the slingshot feeling coming out ouf corners that i just haven't felt in any other car and the feeling when you get the knack is undescribeable

My ultimate porsche is a 73 RS lightweight.

What 80's reputation of Carrera's???

...and why is TG so anti- Porsche? Both fluff mullet and the little tit slate them all the time on every aspect apart from the way they actually dirve?

I remember Richard Hammond commenting (after driving the new boxster) that the only people who buy Boxsters are those who can't afford 911's when he himself at the time had a 911SC worth about £7k.

There's a very real chance that the 911 will be my next car.

A couple of workmates have them and they are absolutely fantastic, one is a P-plate 993 carerra 2, one is a 996 carerra 4s and the other is a 997 carerra s. I can't help but look at the 993 everytime I walk past it in the car park but when I part with my own money it'll be for a 997.

vbpgimage.php

not one but 2 brand new ready to rock GT's Yummy Yummy Yummy

These sound grrrreeeaatt

visit www.porche.co.uk and you can get some great ring tones!!

I got one in yellow too, pic to follow!

Another one in Yellow
This car is used everyday!!!

vbpgimage.php

Randomjim said:
If i had one it would be old skool 993
old skool?
993?
how old are you?

I had an old skool 911, proper 911, pre 1973, now that's old skool - but I know what you meany, last of the aircooled, better looking that the 996 - although I think they have got it right with the 997!

fasteddie said:
old skool?
993?
how old are you?

I had an old skool 911, proper 911, pre 1973, now that's old skool - but I know what you meany, last of the aircooled, better looking that the 996 - although I think they have got it right with the 997!

21 :blush: i should of said last of the air cooled :yes: and i agree the 997 is better than the 996

Tankman,
Whats that a 964 turbo s? Hens teeth.

I bet thats a handful with 380hp, rear wheel drive coupled with mid corner boost delivery!

get some clear indicators too, they make an enormous improvement!

Absolutely 100% sub zero!!!

The noise, the handling (of the 996/997) and just the whole package is spot on IMO.

With 40k now getting you a high spec 2003 996 C4S, its a serious contender now! (just like this one http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/125712.htm)

But like ESS says the extended warranty has to be in there... just in case.

Great cars, a head turner no matter where or when, and there are few cars that can do that :thumbsup:

My favourite Porsche of all time:

Porsche_27RS.jpg

911s are superb cars - no doubts there.

Not sure that they are cool... Too many poseurs own and drive them - a touch footballer and city banker...

If you look past the dodgy image they reward like few other cars.

... but then, I'm biased.

If a rear engined car that can trace it's history and success in motorsport back decades isn't sub-zero then we'd all be as well going and buying a Toyota Prius.