Poor performance s3 dipped headlights

That looks a lot better, got mine booked in for the 25th.

Anyone got this done while they wait? I want to get mine checked but don't fancy leaving the car for a day.

Yep. Done while I waited / took the RS3 for a test.

Lights much better. I won't be buying an RS3. Enough said :innocent:

Reactions: batch
Could this also be true on the LED lights, might seem low too ... my wife has Mini with LED lights and they are much higher up on cars infront ... has anyone with LED's had them checked ?

i also feel like the dipped beam on the LED's is way too low/short (full beam is brilliant), the dipped beam on my previous 8P was definitely a lot longer, does anyone know if the LED's can be adjusted in the same way as the xenon's?

Reactions: Rob2k68
Quick comment on this as a previous poster mention adaptive xenons.

The light switch needs to be in the Auto position for the adaptive function to work. If set to 'on' then they don't move and the beam pattern is lower.
That's the only setting I keep my headlights on is AUTO.

But I live in the West. Audi doesn't offer Adaptive Bi-Xenons here. Seems that little extra bulb in the headlight was too much for the company, so I am stuck with status Bi-Xenons and lots of blindsight curb turns at night.

Anyone with led think they too low? If so anyone had them checked too?

If you think they're too low............ they probably are too low mate!

Xenons are clearly set wrong for some of us so can't see any reason why LEDs would be any different...................might as well get em checked ;)

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Gareth Kelly
I also have poor dipped beam and not convinced it is simply height adjustment.
Does anybody know if the Halogen headlights have the Audi 'Bulb life extension' programmed into the car and if so, anybody know the coding to remove it with VCDS?

I also have poor dipped beam and not convinced it is simply height adjustment.
Does anybody know if the Halogen headlights have the Audi 'Bulb life extension' programmed into the car and if so, anybody know the coding to remove it with VCDS?
Time of year,factory fitted Halogen bulbs are poor to say the least,l suggest you upgrade to Osram nightbreaker 100% or a similar Philips bulbs

Reactions: Simon L
Jassy,
Still have the original stock halogen bulbs in my 8P A3 sportback bought from new and they are superb, but had to change the halogens in my last B8 A4 as soon as it was delivered from the dealers.
With my latest A3 I have already bought the newer 130% light increased H7 philips bulbs but want to explore the 'bulb life extension' and whether it is possible to increase the voltage to the stock bulbs of the 8V. VW forums report increased light output on their cars by improving the voltage up to 13.4v.

Anyone had their led lights checked yet ?

i had my led lights checked at the weekend and they were fine apparently, i was told that they have reset the system and to see what its like. i was also told that the led lights have a much flatter beam compared to the xenons that have a higher kick on one side. so far i haven't really noticed much difference.

that's disappointing what about trying to turn them up a bit yourself, tried that yet? Looked at seat owners site and same thing on leOn but helped by turning up little. Did you see them beam check in mot area, i would have asked

i had my led lights checked at the weekend and they were fine apparently, i was told that they have reset the system and to see what its like. i was also told that the led lights have a much flatter beam compared to the xenons that have a higher kick on one side. so far i haven't really noticed much difference.
Sound fine to me.

I have found them fine but they are very different to xenons so difficult to compare like for like.

I had a Golf GTE (it has LED headlights as standard) on test a few months ago and they had a very similar spread of beam and height to the units on my S3 when I compared them.

My beam still doesn't seem too good although I noticed it move up and down on motorway above 68mph today. Actually on motorway it does seem much better. I seem to be driving around with all weather .Lights on all time as only way to light the road. In town led just don't seem too good.

I think you can set the beam height with VCDS

But if under warranty, get the dealer to check and set.

Anyone have the coding to hand ?

I feel a small adjustment would be of benefit yes but prob wouldn't make a special trip to the dealer to look at it (he'd prob say it's because I've lowered it!), main beam is astonishing.

Last edited:
Anyone have the coding to hand ?

I feel a small adjustment would be of benefit yes but prob wouldn't make a special trip to the dealer to look at it (he'd prob say it's because I've lowered it!), main beam is astonishing.
The "Basic Settings" procedure is in the document link in my signature. Perform this on sloping ground in order to "trick" the system.

Jassy,
Still have the original stock halogen bulbs in my 8P A3 sportback bought from new and they are superb, but had to change the halogens in my last B8 A4 as soon as it was delivered from the dealers.
With my latest A3 I have already bought the newer 130% light increased H7 philips bulbs but want to explore the 'bulb life extension' and whether it is possible to increase the voltage to the stock bulbs of the 8V. VW forums report increased light output on their cars by improving the voltage up to 13.4v.
Your looking at a 55 watt bulb....then? only seen this done with Xenons,another route you could go down is with the new anti glare HID kits designed solely for reflector headlight enclosures

i highly rate my adaptive xenons.
the only flaw, which is an utter pi55 take if you ask me, is the cornering light is a halogen! it looks ****** redicilous! i will be taking them out and swapping them for a cooler colour soon!

Ive just been to the dealers today after a quick phone call and they have corrected my lights while I wait. They did say the lights were set to the minimum setting and now they have set to maximum. After work I've tested them and 100% better, it's well worth poping down and getting done.

Ive just been to the dealers today after a quick phone call and they have corrected my lights while I wait. They did say the lights were set to the minimum setting and now they have set to maximum. After work I've tested them and 100% better, it's well worth poping down and getting done.

.......still gotta get mine looked at............good to hear it's a definite improvement though :salute:

.......blimey those bulbs are a bit steep Jassy................how about nicking a couple of nice pink fairy lights from the crimbo tree instead??!! :hubbahubba:

Reactions: Rob2k68, Blackwhite and Jassyo06
Will get Jordan to get them fitted in January...Free,when it goes in for a oil change and the likes, plus them door rattles sorted?

Will get Jordan to get them fitted in January...Free,when it goes in for a oil change and the likes, plus them door rattles sorted?

Nice touch, it's not what you know it's who you know.............now how about that wee dent of yours?

Reactions: Jassyo06
Nice touch, it's not what you know it's who you know.............now how about that wee dent of yours?
**** it....it mate,the days dont get lighter till end of February...then again you've just put me off them bulbs thats £200 extra towards a new car...lol
Ah it stays as it lays

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Simon L
**** it....it mate,the days dont get lighter till end of February...then again you've just put me off them bulbs thats £200 extra towards a new car...lol
Ah it stays as it lays

Just catching up after Christmas shopping last night for little lad - yeah defo bin those bulbs off Jassy put that towards matrix option on next one ;o)

Reactions: Simon L and Jassyo06
Bulbs.... was just about to start a new thread but this looks like the ideal place.

Yeah, was thinking that my dipped lights were poor. It could be that they're too low - may get that checked out. But what is the option for upgrading? I have standard lights in my S3 8V and I presume they are Xenons? Are these easily replaced for brighter versions? Had a look last night and no chance of getting them out without taking out the entire cluster (have done this on a Disco before, but then again, there was bags more room).

Is this the sort of thing I'm looking for? http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/product.php?productid=18882&bulb_search=car...

Halfords had them down as H7's??

If you have a UK S3 8V, it won't be a H7, you should have Xenon and the bulbs are most likely D3S.

But at £99 each you won't be getting £99 of aftermarket increased light output!
First step is to get them adjusted, there is very little wrong with the light output of the standard Xenon bulbs.

Like I said its 100% better once they are adjusted. Get it done and save your money.

Bulbs.... was just about to start a new thread but this looks like the ideal place.

Yeah, was thinking that my dipped lights were poor. It could be that they're too low - may get that checked out. But what is the option for upgrading? I have standard lights in my S3 8V and I presume they are Xenons? Are these easily replaced for brighter versions? Had a look last night and no chance of getting them out without taking out the entire cluster (have done this on a Disco before, but then again, there was bags more room).

Is this the sort of thing I'm looking for? http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/product.php?productid=18882&bulb_search=car...

Halfords had them down as H7's??
The Oem xenon bulbs ain't the best Flatoot the one's in you're post can be got for just over £100 from Amazon for 2 so half price they will be better lighting the road up and should match the colour of led DRLs to perfection

The Oem xenon bulbs ain't the best Flatoot the one's in you're post can be got for just over £100 from Amazon for 2 so half price they will be better lighting the road up and should match the colour of led DRLs to perfection

Is it just a case of taking the whole light cluster out yeah? I think I only see one hex bolt on the top with self tapper in there as well. Anyone upgraded their bulbs?

Is it just a case of taking the whole light cluster out yeah? I think I only see one hex bolt on the top with self tapper in there as well. Anyone upgraded their bulbs?
I haven't even looked mate,but will get back to you on that later,l changed the one's on my focus ST l had to take the full enclosure out

Dealer adjusted mine last week, big improvement however I'm getting main-beamed a lot by on-comers now!
Might have to have them tweaked back down just a bit...

mff5r41vb
If you have a UK S3 8V, it won't be a H7, you should have Xenon and the bulbs are most likely D3S.

But at £99 each you won't be getting £99 of aftermarket increased light output!
First step is to get them adjusted, there is very little wrong with the light output of the standard Xenon bulbs.

Adaptive Xenons adjusted today by the local dealer (Perth) What a difference, they must have been way low from the factory! I was considering bulbs, but def not needed now..On the 30 min trip home, including half B roads I got zero flashes even though I must be burning the retinas of the oncoming drivers! :racer:

Last edited: