Poor Fuel Consumption

If my 2.5tdi is anything to go by I get less than half the open road mpg when driving about town but the figures are probably only slightly less than this 1.9 and mines a lot heavier Quattro Avant.Perhaps the Tiptronic is less wasteful than the Multi box.Still think a proper CTS should help

Personally I think it being an auto isn't helping as you are doing a fair bit of town driving, but for a 1.9tdi it should be better than that!
I think the mutlitronic suffers when services on the box have been missed from what I've read on here. Hopefully you will get it sorted otherwise just go and get an RS4/S4 as you won't see much difference in fuel economy :grin::laughing:

Yes, autos always tend to be a bit thirstier than manuals but the mpg I'm getting at the moment is definitely too bad to be just down to that. The more I think about it the more I think that it's the CTS that's at fault. My car tends to smell very fumey like it's over-fueling, it's been like it for months.

As for the multitronic, the last time that I know that it had a fluid and filter change was by Audi in 2008. If it's had one since then I've got no record of it.

Would love an RS4/S4 but would need to sell a kidney and a testicle first. :yes::yes::yes:

Last edited:
If my 2.5tdi is anything to go by I get less than half the open road mpg when driving about town but the figures are probably only slightly less than this 1.9 and mines a lot heavier Quattro Avant.Perhaps the Tiptronic is less wasteful than the Multi box.Still think a proper CTS should help

Yes, the CTS has to be changed for a legit one. I'm sure it's the root of my mpg problems.

As a follow-up on this. Nothing I really tried made more than a negligible difference to my mpg. I've come to the conclusion that's it's the town driving that's really the problem. I do mainly short runs around town, stop/starting and never really get the engine up to operating temperature before I'm home again.

I did another £20 worth of fuel recently but on top of my town driving I did a 70 mile run to take the wife shopping and that splash of diesel did 104 miles instead of the usual 65/70 miles. So it's not the car, it's the lack of proper use that seems to be the issue.

That's much the same as my V6.If I fill up after mostly town driving and then go for a steady long run the miles remaining goes up and up

Reactions: Monzta
I probably bought the wrong car for my type of driving, I very seldom do long runs these days. I just fancied a diesel before they all disappeared. Maybe I'll buy a petrol A4 next time.