Poor English

Now gentlemen, stop being so grumpy. Their are lots of people (such as myself) who struggle with spelling and grammar, it's not there fault, I mean who would know they're their & they're from they're there's? :tongueclosed:
How do you console a pedant?

There, their, they're. :)

Reactions: Terminator x and Bristle Hound
Don't get me started as to whether it is a grammatical error or a simple spelling mistake. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry :frog:
Thank God I've just had my supper. You wouldn't like me when I'm hungry. :)

Reactions: Samuel c5 Q, Bristle Hound and Sandra
As a southerner living in the north east, I experience poor English on a daily basis
As a North Easterner living in the South, I am surrounded by morons. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jake 61, Bristle Hound, Scottyg and 1 other person
I used to work with a lady who used 'pacifically' instead of 'specifically' I used to count how many times she said it at meetings to while away the time :tearsofjoy:
My wife says that. Get over it; I have. :)

Reactions: Bristle Hound, Scottyg and Ringway
How do you console a pedant?

There, their, they're. :)

I may be a teacher but I'm also Dyslexic. Struggled with it all my life. However, I have learned how to cope with it and developed strategies to stop it hindering my progress, firstly through school (I was in bottom set English class all way through school but still achieved my O level and Higher), University (2:1 honours) and now in my working life teaching kids. As you will see, one thing I still never get right is apostrophes. Most other things I have learned wee rhymes to remember grammar rules or how to spell certain, difficult to me words.

Reactions: Jake 61, Bristle Hound and jdp1962
I may be a teacher but I'm also Dyslexic. Struggled with it all my life. However, I have learned how to cope with it and developed strategies to stop it hindering my progress, firstly through school (I was in bottom set English class all way through school but still achieved my O level and Higher), University (2:1 honours) and now in my working life teaching kids. As you will see, one thing I still never get right is apostrophes. Most other things I have learned wee rhymes to remember grammar rules or how to spell certain, difficult to me words.
The English langauge is a man-trap. I'm lucky that I was taught the basics well as a child, and was able to grasp them. At the time, I sneered at those who didn't, but when I was older - particularly at university (same one as you, (2:2 Honours - oh the shame....!), I sat alongside people who also struggled with grammar, punctuation and spelling but had utterly brilliant minds that put mine way in the shade.

Reactions: Bristle Hound and Scottyg
I am an advocate of drilling in the basics to kids from a young age. Grammar is essential. However, just because someone can't spell well thet shouldn't be penalised in school. My oldest loves language whether that be English or a foreign language. However, she struggles with Maths. My youngest is the total opposite. Finds numeracy very easy but struggles a little with literacy. She'll get there, just doesn't like it as much as Maths.

Reactions: Bristle Hound and Audi Bairn
Today, I'm lucky in that my job involves drafting official and legally-binding documents for publication. That means grammar, punctuation and spelling have to be of a very high standard. I still sit alongside people who have better minds than mine but who also have a poor grasp of the language. The difficulty is that they do the same job as me, and there's pressure from above to lower our drafting standards. That saddens me.

Reactions: Bristle Hound
I find it interesting how people struggle with different things. For example, I very often see people using 'bought' and 'brought' incorrectly. I wonder how people get this confused as it seems obvious to me, but then I very often have to do a double take on using 'affect' an 'effect', which in my line of work is pretty crucial!

I've never been particularly interested in language and always preferred working with numbers though. My OH, on the other hand, is a fantastic linguist and a complete math prodigy....

People like her just take the biscuit...!

Reactions: Sandra, Audi Bairn, Scottyg and 1 other person
Apart from "could of" and "should of" which really bug me I heard one yesterday.

"That's a whole nother issue" :wtf:

Reactions: Bristle Hound and DrEskimo
That's not a grammmatical :haha: error. it's the conflation of two separate words to create one, a bit like "fugly". :)
Where did I say it was a grammatical error? Yeah there's only two "mm's" in grammatical, see what I mean? :scared2:

Reactions: jdp1962
Americans that describe themselves as "SUPER" excited or "SUPER" scared, can't you just be excited or scared? I know one thing for certain, they are "SUPER" ****ed once Trump is in place.

Reactions: Jake 61, Terminator x, Audi Bairn and 1 other person
@jdp1962 @Scottyg - Seriously Jeff & Scott, you've had me crying with laughter at the early posts in this thread. So funny! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: Audi Bairn
A chap I know used to say "mute" instead of "moot" . I never corrected him!

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Idear, always pi$$es me off.
Often feel like asking the person who said it, to spell it just to make sure.

Reactions: QuattroCalum and Samuel c5 Q
People who either can't or won't pronounce th in a word, example

Fursday, the day after Wednesday apparently.
Baff, a large receptacle for bathing in.
Free, the number after two.
Wiff, accompanied by or having/possessing something.

There are many more, it really does make you wonder?

Reactions: Jake 61 and Audi Bairn
People who either can't or won't pronounce th in a word, example

Fursday, the day after Wednesday apparently.
Baff, a large receptacle for bathing in.
Free, the number after two.
Wiff, accompanied by or having/possessing something.

There are many more, it really does make you wonder?

Sounds like an episode of Eastenders lol :blink:

Reactions: Jake 61, Sandra and QuattroCalum
Your instead of you're or you are is what drives me nuts. People can't even be bothered to type properly anymore.

Reactions: Audi Bairn, QuattroCalum and Sandra
I was stood/sat there :fearscream:

Reactions: QuattroCalum
I know what I want to write and say but allways struggle to get it down on paper the same way, which may sometimes be a good thing, but hey I try to do the best I can under the circumstances....

Reactions: QuattroCalum