Poor English

QuattroCalum

Reaction score
People who can't use their own language, for instance " I brought a new car today" I just think to myself, really, where did you bring it from, the dealer?
It's bought NOT brought, dumbass.
There's so many things like that but that seems to be the most common one.

Reactions: turboloon, jdp1962 and CHEZ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: KrisKrk, Bugeye_bob, Ringway and 3 others
As a southerner living in the north east, I experience poor English on a daily basis

Reactions: Ringway and Tj 0785
I am not getting involved in this thread. Being a teacher it drives me nuts. As they say on Dragon's Den.......I'm out.

Reactions: Andy F and Jake 61
I used to work with a lady who used 'pacifically' instead of 'specifically' I used to count how many times she said it at meetings to while away the time :tearsofjoy:

I used to work with a lady who used 'pacifically' instead of 'specifically' I used to count how many times she said it at meetings to while away the time :tearsofjoy:
I'm sure that's just a splash in the ocean One work mate did that at a training course, I couldn't believe my ears.

Reactions: lfcrule1972
One member of the teaching profession I know pretty well still uses the word "you's" when talking to a group or crowd. "You's guys need to........" . FGS, you can't become plural.

People who can't use their own language, for instance " I brought a new car today" I just think to myself, really, where did you bring it from, the dealer?
It's bought NOT brought, dumbass.

"I should of" - instead of "I should have" .... I should of brought it!!! :tongueclosed:

Reactions: Audi Bairn
"We are now arriving at London Euston, the final destination for this train".
No, the final destination for this train will be the scrap yard in about 20 years....

Double negatives, for instance, "I didn't do nothing" can they actually hear what they say, do they even know what they're saying?

Reactions: Scottyg
One that bugs me is "naw" instead of "now".

same, an old manager of mine used to do this too

Now gentlemen, stop being so grumpy. Their are lots of people (such as myself) who struggle with spelling and grammar, it's not there fault, I mean who would know they're their & they're from they're there's? :tongueclosed:

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy F and Raiden
Closer to home, has anyone else noticed that on the home page of this very website the large banner advertisement for 'ASN' has incorrectly spelt 'Exclusive' as 'Excusive'? Given that they have an English Language sticky at the start of most threads I would have thought copy would be checked to set the example.

I feel better now :blahblah1:

Reactions: Andy F
Closer to home, has anyone else noticed that on the home page of this very website the large banner advertisement for 'ASN' has incorrectly spelt 'Exclusive' as 'Excusive'? Given that they have an English Language sticky at the start of most threads I would have thought copy would be checked to set the example.

I feel better now :blahblah1:
calling @Sandra calling @Sandra, watch out the grammar police are after you

extract below... is she correct?

Reasons exist for such rude behaviour. Slate attempted to explain the phenomenon, but if your gut instincts have told you some element of superiority is involved, your gut was right. Polite, secure people do not correct other people’s grammar. If they have the meaning of what one is saying in conversation, most listeners will overlook slight errors. Unfortunately, we don’t always talk with “most listeners.” Sometimes, in person, online, and against our better judgment, we talk with snooty, self-appointed, and insufferable grammar police.

What’s Really Happening
Behind all grammar corrections, back-handed compliments, and “it’s-only-a-joke” jibes lies hidden anger. When a Grammar Bully corrects your grammar (especially strangers online), you can rest assured that you are not the cause of his anger. Your word usage was simply the trigger of that anger. The Grammar Bully is in need of companionship, so publicly correcting you sends the homing beacon out to other Grammar Bullies. Grammar Bully is ringing in the friends with whom he can bond over mutual hate of the their/they’re misstep.

When we are angry or stressed, a bonding hormone called oxytocin is released, urging us to form social connections with other humans so as to better our chances for surviving the cause of the stress. A Grammar Bully is feeling insecure in some way, and the insecurity is driving her to gather up friends. Many observers may think the Grammar Bully is about belittling others, but really, the Grammar Bully is just looking to find other Grammar Bullies because she is feeling angry and/or stressed.

Anger can be subconscious and many times it is. We are discouraged from expressing anger when out and about in polite society, so we suppress it. Unfortunately, anger is one of those emotions that bubbles up to the surface. Grammar-correcting behaviour is one of suppressed anger’s outlets.

Reactions: xpoweruk and CHEZ
This thread is still going??? . I thought I had a lot of spare time on my hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Off topic @Raiden, great username!

giphy.gif

TX.

Reactions: CHEZ
I have Aspergers, it really irks me but I can't help it, please forgive my grammar bullying

Unfortunately, it's a trait of my profession.
However, if you're not corrected you may believe that what you write to be correct.
Most of the time it doesn't bother me, but glaring errors I tend to point out/correct.
It's sad the state of British education, basics that were basics 20/30/40 years ago are now difficult for students to learn.
Bring back Style A learning and make kids repeat the basics over and over again. That goes for both literacy and numeracy.

Reactions: jdp1962
Could of
Should of
Must of

It's have or 've ......... NOT of ***!

Annoyingly growing trend Aaaaaaaaaaargh! :sadlike:

And don't get me started on Americanisms.

Rant over!

I was at a meeting where a charge hand was reading from the notes and said something to the effect of "We must make sure we throughfully check all our work". He pronounced thoroughly as through fully. My workmate and I struggled not to wet ourselves laughing for the remainder of the meeting whilst no body else seemed to bat an eyelid. They obviously weren't listening.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Similar to yours @Samuel c5 Q
Me and my mate used to laugh at a site manger who used to say mythology instead of methodology.
"We need to look at the mythology of how we construct that"
:tearsofjoy:

Reactions: Jake 61 and Samuel c5 Q
The best one I normally encounter in my neck of the woods is "WHAT ARE YOUS lot DOING?" What the hell is YOUS? Or see a status online or txt msg "i no" instead of "I KNOW" really gets the hair on my back to stand up. You are ****** English come one. Sorry for the long rant. :blahblah1:

Last edited by a moderator: