Poor Consumption All Of A Sudden - 3.0 Tdi

Djwoody

Reaction score
Hi.
I noticed this morning on my way to work I got an average consumption of 35mpg.
Every other morning I have been getting 47mpg+
Each time I've been driving at 65-70mph.

Is there a reason why my consumption has dropped suddenly?

Chris

A4 B8 3.0 TDI

Could be doing a regen ?

Mine was all over the place , got 47mpg on a run to work, way home was about 36mpg and with air con on the same homeward trip was 25mpg ?

I'll keep an eye on it tonight on my way home.
I've heard change the fuel filter or coolant temp sensor could help if there's a problem.

Was the car doing regen cycle ? I found with mine that it had a big effect on consumption figures.
I used to find the engine fans would be on when I parked up if it had been doing a regen.

Karl

Not sure if it was doing one. It's a shame there isn't a notification on the display to inform you of when one is being performed, that would be useful.
Didn't notice the fans on.

Well after another journey to work this morning, it has jumped up to the 40s so I assume it must have been doing a regen. Still not as good as I was getting.
Would a full service (fuel filter etc) help do you think?

A full service, in my experience, always helped the mpg a bit. Though I never owned a 3.0 TDI , I also found that the coolant temp sensor on my B6 1.9 affected fuel economy a lot, so much so that I included it in my annual servicing, so you might be on to something there. Especially if it's original to the car as it'll be getting on a bit now.

Well the coolant sensor is only around £10 so I may get one fitted with my next service like you said.
Wouldn't do any harm.
Anyone know if the 3.0 TDI just has the one sensor? I know some cars have two.