POOL BALLS!!!

phoenixv6quattro

staylowmovefast
Reaction score
I wanted a gearknob to mach my piano black trim. I couldn't find ANYTHING that was just piano black....soooooooooo.....Went to my local boozer, racked up a game and ******** off with the black ball much to my opponents annoyance! Went home, drilled a 12.7mm hole in it and voila, new shifter! Feels nice, matches the trim to a tee and was free! Anyone wanting to do this can either do what I did or buy one from snooker spares for under $2! RESULT!

PIC...........

PIANOBLACKSNOOKERBALLGEARKNOB.jpg

I love that! And I also love the fact that you just nicked it. Of course, i don't agree with thievery, but top marks!!! :yahoo:Suits the car as you said. I think my wife would kill me if I did that to mine, ha

Oh, and another thing. Have you got a short shift on there? It looks so short. I really want one on mine, but can't find much info about them

Thanks mate! No short shifter present, I just chopped off an inch and a half or so of the shifter rod! It does make a difference.
Ref the pool ball, the landlord is a mate of mine. I sent him a ransom note informing him I will need Guiness to set the ball free (but of course, thats not going to happen).

Cool Ollie, looks smart.

I was expecting the "8 ball" style when i first read the post!!!:lmfao:

Thanks mate! No short shifter present, I just chopped off an inch and a half or so of the shifter rod! It does make a difference.
Ref the pool ball, the landlord is a mate of mine. I sent him a ransom note informing him I will need Guiness to set the ball free (but of course, thats not going to happen).

Does that not affect the gear changes in anyway? Also, if you cut the top off, how did you re-thread the top, or didn't you?

THanks for the reply too :D

Shifts are slighty shorter as a result of the shortened length. There is no thread anymore....

Foxy, I didn't want the "8" because that would have been too golf orientated (and we all know that vw's are the poormans Audi!). Just wanted something piano black and simple in design.

Last edited:
that would have been too golf orientated (and we all know that vw's are the poormans Audi!)...

love it lol:salute:

looks nice lad!

Looks cool. Wait until the winter though. That pool ball will get REAL cold, and you'll not really want to be changing gear, lol.

HA HA ! No colder than a metal one will get. Always had solid metal ones so I'm used to it!

I'm not sure about it myself... but I DO love the carbon centre console. Twin cup holders...? Trick. :rock:

I had a solid aluminium richbrook one that I inherited with an old audi, should have pulled it off before I sold it, was seriously heavy even for Ali and did smooth up any gear changes . F cold in winter though!

i like the pool ball idea, very cool mate! good thinking!

and the centre console does look good, i like the 'hybrid' facelift update. how did you get the hazard switch to work anyway?

Ash

The switch itself is the same/original one, all thats needed is to transfer the covers. I got it to fit by lots and lots of trial and error and a bit of fabrication.