Pondering move from S3 to S4

OCDaveS4

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Been pondering a move to a (B9) S4 from FL S3 and would welcome views from you guys. In particular:
- how does handling compare on the winding back lanes? (I know it’s a great A road cruiser).
- what do S4 owners think about the lack of the fold-down screen? (Do you get used to it stuck on the dash?)
- my S3 average MPG over 14k miles is 29.6. What are you seeing on your long term displays?
If I do it, it would be a well specced saloon, probably late 2016/early 2017.
Cheers

Our household has an S3 and an S4 - this thread might help with the comparison https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/downsizing-from-s4-avant.404330/

The non folding screen doesn't bother me - I always have it open anyway in the S3.

Re economy, the S4's will suck, but if you're worried about running costs you're considering the wrong car
Our S3 averages mid to high 30s, the S4 low to mid 20s. S4 tax is £450 too.

Thanks for this. I think it was that thread that got me thinking!! that and “antjos1” comments elsewhere. Not overly bothered about economy, but if it was low 20s I might not be too pleased (official combined is an impossible 36!).
I always have my S3 display down as the virtual cockpit does it all.
Further views welcomed!!

I’ve averaging 33.1 mpg in my b9 S4 right now ( last 160 0 miles ). My default mode is to drive in efficiency (just more relaxing) but regularly put into sport / dynamic. I do 14K per year , 75% motorway / 25% urban.
Recently, going to Leeds and back from south west , I averaged 38 ... so it really depends . It’s remarkably frugal if you drive it like a normal car . Permanent screen is fine, no issue ,,,

Reactions: OCDaveS4
Do it. Providing your specs are right and we are talking about a V6T it is like a sporting sedan for adults compared to the S3.
You sit in great comfort providing you do not spec the sports seats, and it also sits quite low.
Armed with a set of Contact Sport 6 tyres it has remarkably agile but sure handling and roadholding.
I have been through super up Fords, a Star 2+ GTi. an SQ5, a RSQ3 Performance and this V6T S4 is far and away the best of the lot - a car without compromise - BTW a DTUK completes the specs.
Enjoy and don't hesitate.

Dingah

I’ve averaging 33.1 mpg in my b9 S4 right now ( last 160 0 miles ). My default mode is to drive in efficiency (just more relaxing) but regularly put into sport / dynamic. I do 14K per year , 75% motorway / 25% urban.
Recently, going to Leeds and back from south west , I averaged 38 ... so it really depends . It’s remarkably frugal if you drive it like a normal car . Permanent screen is fine, no issue ,,,

33mpg sounds pretty amazing, although my driving pattern is the inverse of yours - 75% back country lanes, 25% Mway/A Roads !

I'm 3,000 miles in (car has now done 8k) and averaged 26.4mpg. 10% motorway, rest mix of A & B road and town stuff.

Screen doesn't bother me one bit. Great car so far, although miss the boot space of the Foresters for chucking my bike in. Have to be a bit more careful with the S4.

Think of it as a v posh WRX wagon and you'll be fine :smiley:

I'm 3,000 miles in (car has now done 8k) and averaged 26.4mpg. 10% motorway, rest mix of A & B road and town stuff.

Screen doesn't bother me one bit. Great car so far, although miss the boot space of the Foresters for chucking my bike in. Have to be a bit more careful with the S4.

Think of it as a v posh WRX wagon and you'll be fine :smiley:

Thanks for this - I like it - shame they don't do it in World Rally Blue :cry: - I suppose one of the attractions of the S4 is the somewhat "meatier" exhaust note which is more like my old WRX flat 4 sound, plus a bit more space for the bass guitars, and grandkids !

Keep em coming please ! :thumbs up:

Reactions: SiPie
Not quite coming from an S3, but I switched from a Mk7 Golf GTI which averaged 28MPG over 26,000 miles to a B9 S4 Saloon which I've averaged 22MPG in over 13,600 miles, which I don't think is that much of a difference considering the extra performance. 90% of my miles are City driving though at rush hour which is probably why!

The smaller Golf was more fun on the back roads, but the S4 is much more of an 'event' to drive with its acceleration and noise. I'd recommend disabling the sound actuator though.

Not 100% the same situation but I went from a 2014 S3 to 2017 S5 - same engines although the S3 pre-facelift might have been a little be worse on Mpg but I averaged 30Mph over 2.5 years of mix of 60% a/b roads and 30% motorway rest was city driving.

The S5 scared me a little at first from new as I would only see around 21mph on a usual commute I was getting 29-32 in the S3 but after 20k miles the exhaust got much better note and the mpg started to rise to about 29mpg on same journey. On a road trip to the Alps with roof box/rails this year and not hanging around most of it 85-90 most of the time manage 36 mph!!

Cabin and refinement was a major step up, (S3 was heavily specced but no VC) and the S3 was more "agile" on the twisty's but not a mega difference just you feel the size of the S5 so would imagine the same on S4 etc. Much better sound (take exhaust plugs out but cover the plugs and holes to stop dirt) and more space in the back. Win- Win.!

I would hope a S4 is capable of more than 36mph :whistle2::whistle2:

Reactions: OCDaveS4 and Gary_LB
Not quite coming from an S3, but I switched from a Mk7 Golf GTI which averaged 28MPG over 26,000 miles to a B9 S4 Saloon which I've averaged 22MPG in over 13,600 miles, which I don't think is that much of a difference considering the extra performance. 90% of my miles are City driving though at rush hour which is probably why!

The smaller Golf was more fun on the back roads, but the S4 is much more of an 'event' to drive with its acceleration and noise. I'd recommend disabling the sound actuator though.

Not 100% the same situation but I went from a 2014 S3 to 2017 S5 - same engines although the S3 pre-facelift might have been a little be worse on Mpg but I averaged 30Mph over 2.5 years of mix of 60% a/b roads and 30% motorway rest was city driving.

The S5 scared me a little at first from new as I would only see around 21mph on a usual commute I was getting 29-32 in the S3 but after 20k miles the exhaust got much better note and the mpg started to rise to about 29mpg on same journey. On a road trip to the Alps with roof box/rails this year and not hanging around most of it 85-90 most of the time manage 36 mph!!

Cabin and refinement was a major step up, (S3 was heavily specced but no VC) and the S3 was more "agile" on the twisty's but not a mega difference just you feel the size of the S5 so would imagine the same on S4 etc. Much better sound (take exhaust plugs out but cover the plugs and holes to stop dirt) and more space in the back. Win- Win.!

200 miles on motorway yesterday and I averaged about 26 I think? My car hates me!

Thanks for these replies folks very helpful. Yep I hate that sound-thing, and if I don’t move from the S3 I’m define disabling it! Love the S3 but still feeling very drawn to the S4.......

Agree, agree... erm.. agree.
If you drive it like you stole it permanently you’ll be earning lots of VPower rewards, if you don’t it can manage 36 mpg from experience.

The fixed screen (coming from a folding in the A6) is never something I even notice.

Enjoy the search. Keep us posted.

Thanks - v useful. The search continues. Unless you want black, white or Navarra there’s not much about at moment. There’s a v nice (over-priced) “manhattan grey” at Syndeham Audi but v high mileage for the year and I was hoping to start much lower !!