Polished Bliss vs Audi Q7 V6 S-Line

WX51TXR

Polished Bliss
Reaction score
Website
www.polishedbliss.co.uk
This was our first major detail of 2007, and what a big one it was - I knew Q7's were big, but my god, they are HUGE! And now I want one! The story behind this one: the soon to be owner has had previous new cars delivered in poor condition by various dealerships in Aberdeen, so this time he passed on the lifetime treament option at £250 and called us in instead. We were all hoping for a simple protection detail, but as always, some surprises were in store.

I have to say at this point the Audi dealership were very difficult to work with - in fairness to them although they have a very fancy showroom, the space reserved for valeting is tiny and poorly equipped in comparison, and they didn't really understand what a detail was compared to the normal half hour to hour they allocate to new car preparation. Only after 9 hours of seeing us graft away did they understand. We were also lucky that the area they had in mind for us to work was turned into a building site yesterday, so we got to work in the new car delivery bay - where we should have been put to start with; the head salesman thought the site of us working in front of customers was a bad thing, so wasn't keen... but by the end of the day I think maybe they now understand what we do a little better!

Ok, onto the detail. At our instruction, we were handed the car unwashed and with all the wraps and transport wax intact...

q7sline1.jpg

First job was to remove the wraps, and then treat the entire exterior to a friendly degreaser to remove all of the transport wax. We then foamed the exterior with shampoo, washed with two buckets and mitts, foamed again, cleaned the wheels using a pH neutral cleaner, rinsed and dried...

q7sline2.jpg

q7sline3.jpg

The car was then moved to the presentation area, and a paint inspection was conducted. 75 measurements with our Posititector 6000 gave the following data: average paint thickness on all metal panels of 109 microns, with a minimum of 72 microns (front wings :eek: ) and a maximum of 138 microns, with a standard deviation of 14 microns across the whole car. Plenty of orange peel too, and sadly, defects, in the form of various random scuffs and scratches under the areas that had been covered in wraps, plus a hologram on the rear passenger side door. Oh poo...

q7sline4.jpg

q7sline5.jpg

So, out with the Makita, PC and the finishing polishes, and after some light polishing work to almost all of the panels, 100% correction...

q7sline6.jpg

q7sline7.jpg

Then we moved on to the protection aspect, firstly by cleansing the paint (all major panels and shuts) and laying down a basecoat of tough acrylic protection, and then by finishing with Zymol Carbon, to add wetness and further bring out the flake. The wheels were treated to multiple coats of a wheel sealant, the tyres dressed and all plastics treated with a protective dressing (including under the bonnet). The interior was then stripped of all the protective wraps and given a basic interior detail. Finally, the mats were put in place, the alloys finished off by adding the bolt covers and centre caps and everything checked over carefully to ensure a perfect finish...

q7sline8.jpg

q7sline9.jpg

q7sline10.jpg

q7sline11.jpg

q7sline12.jpg

q7sline13.jpg

q7sline14.jpg

So, 9 hours work, fun and games to boot, but we got there in the end. The soon to be owner is collecting it first thing tomorrow, and the dealership have been instructed not to dust it down beforehand, just in case. Goes without saying that if you ever work at a dealership you need to have in place full trade insurance, and our thanks go to Andy Couper at Aston Scott for helping us to arrange this at the end of last year - a true gent, and an insurance wizard!

Seems a little unusual to detail a brand new car, but it looks like it needed it!!!

Hehehe, Speccy cars being difficult to deal with? If only everything in life was as (un)reliable as a Volkwagen (Dealership)

where do you get the gun/bottle that attaches on the end of your hose pipe?

i could do with one of them for washing my car

alan

205man said:
where do you get the gun/bottle that attaches on the end of your hose pipe?

i could do with one of them for washing my car

alan

Rich actually sells them, he just hasnt had the chance to add them to the Polished Bliss site yet, just give him a PM or a call and he'll sort you out :)

Gilmour foam gun's now in stock, see here...

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/pb119wash.html

Most new cars actually come with some paint defects, and most dealers do not have staff trained well enough to remove them prior to delivery. An Audi valeter would have been given 1.5 hours to prep this car for collection, yet it took us around 9 hours to get right! However, on a fifty odd grand car, you would expect it to be perfect when you pick it up, hence why more and more customers are asking in to prepare their new cars for them. :)