Polished Bliss: Phantom Black RS4

WX51TXR

Polished Bliss
Reaction score
Website
www.polishedbliss.co.uk
Done by Clark this week, posted by me:

---

Hi guys, been keeping a bit of a low profile recently but decided this would make for a nice write up :)

Car: 3 year old Audi RS4.

C1.jpg

Detailing Service: 3 day Major Paint Correction.

Monday morning began with the pre-foam, using Meguiars APC through the foam lance at 60 degrees:

C2.jpg

This was left whilst I filled up the two buckets for the wheels and then rinsed off at high pressure, taking a good 10 minutes to cover every inch of the car to ensure as much dirt and grime was removed.

C3.jpg

The wheels were then cleaned with Meguiars Wheel Brightener (10:1) and the arches/tyres were done with Meguiars Super Degreaser. No Pics of this stage as I had to put my camera batteries on charge.

The engine was next, which was rinsed at medium pressure after being soaked with Super Degreaser:

C4.jpg

Super Degreaser was used once again for the door shuts. These were left for a couple of minutes...

C5.jpg

...before being rinsed at low pressure:

C6.jpg

All the exterior trim/badges etc were then cleaned with APC and a Meguiars Slide Lock brush:

C7.jpg

I then washed the car with the 2 bucket method and Menzerna Shampoo (using up old stock) then rinsed.

The first signs of the condition of the paintwork were becoming visible now the sun had come out:

C8.jpg

I then finished off the wash stage by removing some minor tar spots from the paintwork and wheels with Autosmart Tardis and then put the car inside after a final rinse off.

Gloss-It's aggressive clay bar was then used to remove bonded contaminants from the paint and glass, using Last Touch as lubricant.

Paint depth readings were then taken with all the metal panels showing healthy levels and the plastics were similar:

C14.jpg

Now it was time to assess the condition of the paintwork:

Some areas weren't too bad, with just some scuffs and the odd scratch or two:

C10.jpg

Other areas were worse, with significant signs of incorrect rotary use over the majority of the car, plus some nasty RIDS here and there:

C11.jpg

C12.jpg

C13.jpg

I then gave the paint a thorough wipe down with Menzerna Top Inspection as I've noticed Last Touch (if used during the claying stage) can cause problems with polishing now and again and it can also prevent the masking tape from sticking to the trim properly. The Top Inspection just removes any traces of LT and leaves the paint squeaky clean :)

Correction of the paint was carried out with a Menzerna Polishing Pad and 3M Fast Cut Plus mixed with a bit of Ultrafina. This was worked @180rpm's with some sections needing 2 hits before I was happy:

C15.jpg

C16.jpg

C17.jpg

C18.jpg

Before:

C19.jpg

After:

C20.jpg

50/50 on n/s wing:

C21.jpg

A smaller compounding pad was used for the bumpers and tighter areas:

C22.jpg

The front fog light grills were removed to gain better access to the lower parts of the bumper:

C23.jpg

C24.jpg

C25.jpg

Bumper fully corrected:

C26.jpg

I gave the headlights a light polish with Menzerna 85RD RE5 to remove some light bug splat etchings:

C27.jpg

C28.jpg

A 3m Compounding Pad was used for the rub strips:

C29.jpg

It's important to keep the rotary moving quickly over these parts to prevent heat build up and potential delamination.

The lower halves (including side skirts) were also done with the 3M pad, some deeper marks remained but overall I was very happy with the level of correction:

C30.jpg

After close to 17 hours in total, the first stage of correction was complete.

The second polishing stage was then carried out using a Yellow 3M Polishing Pad and Menzerna PO85RD RE5.

Out came the wool duster to remove all polishing dust once complete:

C31.jpg

Top Inspection was then used again to ensure the paint was free of all polishing oils:

C32.jpg

With the paint and glass now completely free of dust and oils I applied the LSP. This was to be Zym0l Vintage applied by a Blackfire LSP applicator pad:

C33.jpg

This was applied to the whole car:

C34.jpg

It was then buffed off after approx 10 minutes.

Whilst I'd been concentrating on the paintwork, Marsha had some spare time so she sealed the wheels (Blackfire Metal Sealant), dressed the tyres (3 coats of Gloss-It Signature Tyre Gloss), polished the exhaust tips (meguiars NXT Metal Polish) and shampoo'd the interior mats.

The interior was also detailed, including the leather, which was fed with Raceglaze Leather Balm:

C77.jpg

The engine bay was dressed with 303 Aerospace Protectant:

C80.jpg

C79.jpg

C78.jpg

The paintwork was then given a final wipe down to remove any fresh oils from the wax "gassing" and then out came the camera for the after pics :D

A quick walk round the car with the Sun Gun to show the true condition of the paintwork (temperatures had dropped significantly so there were still a few very light smears after the wipe down and I wasn’t prepared to marr the finish by trying to buff them off again):

Roof:

C35.jpg

C36.jpg

C37.jpg

C38.jpg

C39.jpg

C40.jpg

C41.jpg

C42.jpg

Bonnet:

C43.jpg

C44.jpg

C45.jpg

C56.jpg

C46.jpg

C47.jpg

C48.jpg

C49.jpg

C50.jpg

C51.jpg

C52.jpg

C53.jpg

Then out came Rich's SLR and I tried to do my best David Bailey impression :D

C62.jpg

C70.jpg

C69.jpg

C61.jpg

C63.jpg

C64.jpg

C67.jpg

C68.jpg

C66.jpg

C65.jpg

C75.jpg

C76.jpg

C74.jpg

C58.jpg

C59.jpg

C60.jpg

C73.jpg

C57.jpg

Total Work Time: Approx 33 hours (Including a 1am finish on Tuesday!).

Thanks for reading :)

Clark

Absolutely brilliant fella, really is a fantastic job, not that your previous ones were any less of a good job but for me this is one of the best I've seen, 1st class work

Wow.. Amazing..

Oh tight jeans!!! :redface:

Well done dude, looking good.....as always!!

I know this is a bit late but I came across this thread when doing a search on google images for something else but dam this is great work, don't want to even ask what a job like that would cost.:applaus: