Polished Bliss: New Car Detail.

Clark@Polishedbliss

Professional Detailer
Reaction score
Website
www.polishedbliss.co.uk
This was the latest detail to be done, on yet another new Audi S3. The Customer had taken delivery of the car in November and decided not to wash it so as not too inflict any defects untill i could give it my attention :)

As you could imagine it was a little bit dirty:

Wash:

The car was put outside (into the freeeeeezing cold!) and given a thorough rinse down at high pressure and 50 degrees hot water, this removed just about all the dirt on the car which surprised me a little bit but i wasnt complaining! The wheels and calipers were then cleaned with Menzerna 7.5 Tyre and Wheel Gel and the arches with Meguiars Super Degreaser. The 2BM wash then follwed and the car was then rinsed off. Autosmart Tardis was applied to the lower panels and wheels and then wiped off, taking a fair amount of tar with it (dont you just love the roads at this time of year :rolleyes: ) and then rinsed off. The paintwork felt pretty much as smooth as glass so i just used Meguiars Mild Detailing Clay to remove any minor contaminants. A final rinse down with hot water followed and i then put the car inside and dried with the leaf blower and waffle weave.

Polish:

The Customer had told Audi not to touch the car other than take the wraps off but shock horror they'd washed and polished it (residue all over the window rubbers gave it away) which was enough to inflict some defects to what would have otherwise been pretty good paintwork. Audi Aberdeen obviously cant take a telling and dont really care about their customers as they seem to prove their inability to follow instructions every time we have dealings with them, which is a shame :rolleyes: .

Anyways, the defects - minor but enough to be annoying!

Luckily, 3M's ultrafina polish and finishing pad @ 1500rpm's was all that was needed to remove said defects so it was a quick and easy polishing step for a change :)

The polish fully broken down:

The front bumper was quite badly swirled though and showed signs of feint buffer trails:

Menzerna 3.02 on a black 3M pad was needed to rectify this, i then followed up with the ultrafina:

LSP:

LSP of choice was Vintage and as i had finished the polishing stage in good time and had the car for 2 days i decided to apply this to the whole car and leave it overnight just out of curiousity :)

This proved to work perfectly and if anything it buffed off easier than usual when i returned to work in the morning :thumb:

The chrome details on the car had already started to tarnish slightly with all the crap on the roads so these were polished up with Jeffs Prime Strong:

before:

after:

The wheels had Vintage applied to them, and i dressed the tyres with Blackfire Long Lasting Tyre Gel, Arches were dressed with Meguiars All Season Dressing and the tailpipes were done with Megs NXT Metal Polish.

The interior was given a quick spruce up including feeding of the leather but it was pretty clean to begin with:

Engine bay was wiped down with APC and then dressed with Aerospace 303:

No smears were evident on the paintwork so no final wipe down was needed :)

Afters :) :

Amazing! Just amazing! Got to hand it to you, you've done a ****** remarkable job there.

I bet he was over the moon when he saw that. I definitely would be. Think i'd cream my pants if I saw that after the filth it was in!

Well written & excellent pictures mate and obviously a perfect job. I ain't got nothin on you Clark... nothin!

emzino said:
Amazing! Just amazing! Got to hand it to you, you've done a ****** remarkable job there.

I bet he was over the moon when he saw that. I definitely would be. Think i'd cream my pants if I saw that after the filth it was in!

Well written & excellent pictures mate and obviously a perfect job. I ain't got nothin on you Clark... nothin!

I was over the moon yes!!!! :w00t: Amazing job! Thanks so much Clark for all your hard work on my pride and joy! We'll be back in 8 months for a Vintage top up! I wince every time a truck drives past me now as the poor thing is covered again! ****** roads at winter! :cold:

Ruth

Oh hell yeah, that looks so sweeet. Was a bit undecided about the blue colour but that looks amazing.. Great stuff. Now.. if you could just find a way for it to stay like that! ;)

Clark@Polishedbliss said:
i actually passed you on the back froad from Kingswells yesterday and noticed the car was already a bit dirty haha!

Glad you were happy with the end result :icon_thumright:

....all your hard work un-done! Boo!! On the way home from picking it up I was sprayed by several other vehicles even though I was crawling along trying to avoid being close behind anything!.....hate this time of year!! :crying:

Ouch! Sprayed already... that's gotta be wrong. I'd be ****** furious!

Is there anything you can do to clean that off without losing the special touch it's had?

I'm just gonna leave it for a bit as it'll only get worse with every day driving to work. It's protected.....that's the main thing.

Clark said to keep the wheels clean but leave the body for a bit. No point when they are chucking tonnes of salt on the roads every day!!! And I wouldn't want to take off any of the Vintage wax considering the price of it!

Aside from washing it, you can foam the car with a foam gun attatchment if you have a pressure washer, this will remove the majority of the dirt and quite often eliminates the need to mitt wash the car at all.

As i said to Ruth, there's not really much point in trying to keep the car washed every 2 days in this weather as it will just get covered in muck again, the Vintage will offer more than enough preotection needed to see it through the winter months but its a good idea to keep on top of the wheels, especially on Audi's as they seem particularly bad for quite potent brake dust!

I've just washed my car for the first time in 2 months and it was REALLY filthy but thanks to the Vintage (got 6 or 7 coats on my car!) it still looked like it had just been waxed once dried (although there are bits of tar stuck to it, nothing can be done about this at this time of year) :)

so when i give it a wash should I foam it up and leave it for a bit then rinse it off? i dont think its worth using the mit untill the weather changes.

Clark@Polishedbliss said:
Aside from washing it, you can foam the car with a foam gun attatchment if you have a pressure washer, this will remove the majority of the dirt and quite often eliminates the need to mitt wash the car at all.

I've just bought a Gilmour Foamaster Foam Gun and some snow foam and just wondered whether I should dilute the foam or whether I should put anything else in with the snow foam? Also, does snow foam affect any wax coating on the car

Cheers for any advice!

QuickNick said:
2007 Silver S3 - DVD SatNav, MFBSW, Bose, GSM Bluetooth Phone prep, privacy glass, cruise control, lighting and rain sensor pack, piano inlays

Nice spec Nick!!

QuickNick said:
I've just bought a Gilmour Foamaster Foam Gun and some snow foam and just wondered whether I should dilute the foam or whether I should put anything else in with the snow foam? Also, does snow foam affect any wax coating on the car

Cheers for any advice!

Pour about an inch and a half of snowfoam into the gilly the add a squeeze of Your favourite shampoo then top up with hot water Screw on the top shake to mix and Your ready to go ! Filling the container with neat snowfoam is a waste of product and will not add to the thickness of the foam produced !

Wax wont be affected unless You add far to much of a heavy duty shampoo !

Good luck enjoy